1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does the 2009 Gas Tank fit on a 2010 ?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by EricGagne, May 3, 2011.

1. May 3, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    EricGagne

EricGagne [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    I need to replace my gas tank and at 1100$ at the dealer I'm looking for a used one.

I found a 2009 in a scrap yard, the guy tells me it's exactly the same for 2005-2010, can I trust him ? Another yard who had a 2006 says that they fit up to 2009 but that it's different on a 2010.

2. May 3, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't see why a 2010 would be any different...

3. May 3, 2011 at 9:08 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I would really doubt they are different.

4. May 3, 2011 at 9:28 AM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    Does anyone know if it's made of metal or plastic ? Somebody tells me it can be repaired if it's metal.

5. May 3, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    its plastic and all 2005-2010 should be the same

6. May 3, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I have another question. Is it Polyethylene plastic ?

Maybe it's time I tell the story if I want answers. I needed to drill holes in my bed, I f... up when measuring to clear the gas tank and I made a small hole in it. The dealer wants 1100$ for a new one + 400$ in labor + tax.

I can find a used one for about 200$ but with installation and tax it's still gonna cost me 700$.

Some people have suggested I put some J-B Weld on a bolt, plug the hole with it and then generously apply more J-B Weld on top of it. It would probably work if the epoxy bonds to the tank but if it's polyethylene I doubt that anything will.

7. May 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    i would go this rout personally. or can you tap threads into it and just screw a bolt in and jb weld the out side just incase?

8. May 4, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I don't think silicon will hold on HDPE, nothing can stick to this sh...

Maybe it would work for a vehicle that stays on roads but after thinking about it a lot, I came to the conclusion that nothing will safely stay there when I go overlanding and drive thousands of miles on washboards.

The dealer found a used tank for me. That 300$ instead of 1115$ for a new one. It's still gonna cost me 800$ with labor and car rental but that's better than 2000$ and I won't have to worry about blowing up if somebody smokes near my truck.

P.S: I hope people will read this and learn from my mistakes. If you ever need to drill in the front end of your bed, don't be as stupid as I was. Go to your hardware store, buy a drill bit stopper and make sure you can't go more than 1/4". Trust me, this composite sh.. is hard as hell, you're gonna have to push hard on your drill to go through and without a stopper you WILL drill a hole in your tank without even feeling it.

9. May 4, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Wouldn't silicon be "eaten up" by gas and fumes ?

10. May 11, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I think I found the right stuff. It's made by 3M and they call it "Scotch-Weld Structural Plastic Adhesive". It's designed specially to bond with polyethylene and polypropylene.

It's a 2 parts Epoxy with a 10:1 mix ratio. It comes in a weird looking tube and a special distributor that mixes it automatically. The distributor is of course reusable so you only buy it once.

Here's how I'm gonna do this.

1: Clean the surface with isopropyl alcohol.
    2: Sand the surface
    3: Clear again with alcohol
    4: Cover the area with the epoxy
    5: Pass a bolt through a piece of fiberglass mat
    6: Apply the mat on the epoxy with the bolt in the hole (passing the bolt through will make sure the fiberglass stays flat on my tank
    7: Make sure the mat is pressed in the epoxy everywhere
    8: Have a beer and allow it to cure for about an hour
    9: Add some epoxy over and around the bolt
    10: Have a beer and allow it to cure for about an hour
    11: Generously spread epoxy on top of the fiberglass
    12: Put a wider piece of fiberglass mat on top of the bolt and first piece of fiberglass
    13: Press firmly in the epoxy to insure full contact everywhere
    14: Have a beer and let it cure for about an hour
    15: Spread equally whatever is left of the epoxy on top of all this and let cure for at least 12 hours before using the truck.

I'm a step 8 now. The stuff seemed to bond well with the plastic of the tank when I started. It smells like sh.. but it seems to work.

Will let you know how the next steps go.

11. May 11, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Buy the fuel tank, and install it yourself. Get a buddy. Take the bed off, which is very easy. 6 bolts, and unplug the lights, and fuel filler, and it lifts off. Then, just swap the tank.

12. May 11, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    That's what I'm gonna have to do if my fix doesn't work but I'm confident it will. I'm not the first guy who fixes a hole in a fuel tank with a patch of fiberglass and epoxy, I just needed to find something that bonds to HDPE/PE/PP (whatever our tanks are made of).

Forgot to put links to the stuff.

Epoxy: http://www.shop3m.com/62278304308.html
    Applicator: http://www.shop3m.com/62917099301.html
    10:1 Plunger (sold separately): http://www.shop3m.com/62917099103.html
    Nozzles: http://www.shop3m.com/62974299356.html

3M only sells in large quantiites but it's easy to find online retailers to buy in eaches. For Canada I found everything I needed at National Hardware Sales. First dealing with them but very satisfied.

Products Discussed in

To Top