Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Man oh man what did I do...

Old 05-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
foquack is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
foquack's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Man oh man what did I do...

Hello wise people. 08 Tacoma Reg Cam with 33k on odom.

Here's what happened: classic reverse of polarity on new battery install two days ago. Blew a million fuses, including Alternator fuse and ABS fuse.

Replaced all fuses, plus a few others.

Since then, Brake/ABS lights come on intermittently. Sometimes they go off and my ABS works again, then they come on. It happens randomly. Sometimes I'll start the truck, and the lights will be on. Sometimes I'll start the truck and the lights will be off, in which case everything works. Then they come on again during my drive, and bye-bye ABS. Sometimes, I'll start the truck, lights stay on, then they turn off, and then they come on again. You get the picture.

So. What do you guys think the problem is? Speed sensors? But they were fine before the battery mishap. No mud, no crazy bumps or driving. Fried ABS module? ABS works sometimes. More not working than working, but still works. Battery too low for ABS? Check. 12.7V.

I've been diving into forums for the past few days, and am waiting on my code scanner to arrive that i ordered when this started happening. It is dangerous, I had to slam on brakes today and my whole back end went in to the other lane at 60mph. Great.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
wes mantooth ô
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
damn dude, im betting ten buck, you WILL NOT do that again.

warranty still?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
foquack's Tacoma Gallery
you just won ten bucks. yes it is, JUST bought it.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Tennessee Member
Jeremy92 has a spectacular aura aboutJeremy92 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jeremy
Jeremy92's Tacoma Gallery
Take it to toyota, he's over the 32k. So you maybe SOL as far as warranty.
Brakes are something you can't go without, can be life or death. Take it in tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
o5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant future
Name: Tim
o5iiawah's Tacoma Gallery
check your voltage with the truck running. You should be about 13.4-13.7 with the alternator running. if you fried a cell in your battery it could be causing a massive drain leaving some things not to work properly. Stress your truck. Run the wipers, AC, lights and see if that affects your voltage or the brake lights.

Your ABS module should be protected by the fuse. I dont know much about the tacoma but some vehicles have seperate fuse panels for other elements of the truck.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
wes mantooth ô
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
i would take it in, and play dumb. probably your best bet.

ill send my paypal info for my ten bucks
Old 05-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
foquack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by o5iiawah View Post
check your voltage with the truck running. You should be about 13.4-13.7 with the alternator running. if you fried a cell in your battery it could be causing a massive drain leaving some things not to work properly.
Ok will go do that right now. Hmmm. So a drain might explain why the ABS is intermittent. Because sometimes the battery has enough charge, sometimes it does not. Am I on the right track?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #8
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
there is a way to read the abs codes without buying code scanner. i used to do this with my integra when i would throw a CEL.
Here is a little info on doing it with toyotas. im not sure if you should try this though. just double check everything and dont get in a hurry like you did with your battery..
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/brake10.pdf
Old 05-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
foquack's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, GotLift, will check that out in one second. o5iiawah, did what you said with heat on, high beams, flashers, radio, and measured voltage. 13.5~13.6V.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
o5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by foquack View Post
Ok, GotLift, will check that out in one second. o5iiawah, did what you said with heat on, high beams, flashers, radio, and measured voltage. 13.5~13.6V.

Thats what it should be.

Always check the free stuff first.

You should be about 12.7 dead and 13.5 running. Your battery and charging system is fine.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
foquack's Tacoma Gallery
k, so strike another thing off the list. Thank you. let's see if I can check the code now with GotLift's guide.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Never driven without ABS?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #13
foquack's Tacoma Gallery
No John. Scared the crap out of me today. And the cars behind me must have crapped themselves.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #14
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by foquack View Post
No John. Scared the crap out of me today. And the cars behind me must have crapped themselves.
It will wake you up if you're not used to it that's for sure. Good luck with the electrics on the truck.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
foquack's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it will. Thanks, I need it! Ok Matt, checked the article from AutoShop, and since the DLC is DLC2, I don't have any jumper pins to work with. Or am I missing something?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #16
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
should do a non vehicle running test on the battery, will a battery with a fried cell still show full charge if the alternators working??
Old 05-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #17
foquack's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so GET THIS. I am thinking I may have found the solution. The 30AMP fuse which is in the ABS1 slot is fine. But the BLADES that slide INTO the fuse are loose. Well, one of them is. So I am thinking that is it! I pulled up the blade with a pair of needle nose pliers, and slid the fuse back in. Turn key to IGN on, and ABS/Brake lights go out after 2 seconds! This is all without even turning the engine on. So! Think I may have found it. Let's see what happens when I go and pick up the new plates tomorrow! Did I mention I bought this a week ago?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #18
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
ALSO, something i learned through trial and error myself once. Just cause the fuse is whole and doesn't look burnt, does not mean its always working.. 99.9% of the time a complete fuse means its working. You know the two small metal contacts on the head of the fuse where it should say the amps? I've had a fuse tester before on both contacts and found a fuse that 1 side worked and 1 side didn't show up. Still don't know why it looked in perfect condition, musta been a factory fail but its caused me a lot of headache on my old S10 till i found it.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #19
Awesome man. Hope it works out for you.

Anything electrical - Check the fuses first. IF the fuses look good and you are still having the problem - check the fuses again.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #20

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
And this is why ABS should *NOT* be allowed on any car.... because when it fails, too many people won't know how to react.
Agreed. Too many electronic nannies make people forget how to drive.