Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

95 starter problem

Old 05-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
beachtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: John
beachtaco's Tacoma Gallery
95 starter problem

I have a 95 V6 5 speed Tacoma, and I need to change the starter. Any hints or advice? Does it come out the top, the bottom, or through the fender well? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
When I replaced the contacts in my '98 Tacoma 3.4L V6 starter I brought it out the fender well. Remove the right front wheel/tire and IIRC I had to loosen the upper control arm and slide the bolt out of the way. Two bolts and an electrical connector.
Are you replacing the entire starter or just rebuilding it?
Good luck.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
beachtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: John
beachtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I had planned on replacing it. It doesn't sound like a job I want to do twice. How long did it take? Do you recomend doing it, or sending it to the shop?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Do the whole starter. your right, it's not something you want to do twice.

Just did my 99 and it was a PITB. Out thru the fenderwell with a bunch of cussing

There were several different HP/KV ratings on the availible replacement rebuilt starters for my year(99), I bought the highest KV rated one (1.9hp). Yours will probably be the 1.7 or the 1.9 for your V6.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
I'll admit getting the starter out from the truck is the hardest part. I also don't know what the problem is with your starter. On mine, I'd have to turn the key 4-5 times before the starter would turn the engine over. It acted like a dead battery, sometimes clicking once, sometimes nothing. The battery was good. This is what happens when the starter contacts are worn. I think my truck had 75,000 miles on it at the time. The replacement of the starter contacts is easy. I bought my parts at the dealership. Tell the parts person you want the starter rebuild kit for a 95 V6 starter. The parts person should know what you need. $30 maximum. I hope this helps, good luck.