Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Leaking water pump 2TR-FE

Old 05-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Leaking water pump 2TR-FE

I was installing a hood scoop insert and noticed that there is pinkish residue splattered all over the front of the engine. It was on airbox, P/S reservoir, going down towards crank pulley... Next thing I check is my coolant reservoir and it has very little coolant left, below the LOW mark.

The obvious thing I am thinking is blown gasket between water pump and block. Now this quite upsets me, because the truck is 2008 with only 33k miles, just out of warranty

I bought the truck as certified Toyota vehicle, but I doubt that they will honor it due to all my mods

I can swap the water pump myself no problem. It costs $89 plus the coolant so around $100... My thoughts... I will buys some coolant and monitor the leak, if it gets worse or starts overheating, I will have no choice but replace it

Anyone had this happen to their 2TR?
Old 05-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
VermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud of
Name: Devin
VermonterLost's Tacoma Gallery
Water pump is covered under the 5yr/60k warranty. They replaced mine under warranty at around 43,000 miles. I'm the 2nd owner. Yea mine cooked. Honestly I'm kind nervous when my warranty runs out, this things been about as reliable as my 97 ranger, not very.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Damn that sucks are you sure is from the water pump? I've read from a couple of people here that their coolant reservoir leaks and they had to put a clamp on the hose or something like that.

btw, did you change your hood for the one with a scoop?
Old 05-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear it. Mine has some seepage around the front of the block which got me concerned at one point. After monitoring my coolant levels for a while it didn't seem to be losing very much coolant.

pics?
Old 05-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I ran a leak and took it in. My coolant cap wasnt holding pressure, they replaced it.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by epa4wd View Post
Damn that sucks are you sure is from the water pump? I've read from a couple of people here that their coolant reservoir leaks and they had to put a clamp on the hose or something like that.

btw, did you change your hood for the one with a scoop?
Hrm... Thats a good point... Therotically speaking it could be from reservoir dripping on pulleys/belt and splashing all over. However, there are no drips/puddles or leaks when the truck is not running... I can pull the reservoir and check the bottom for leaks, first thing, I would do.

If its the pump, I will most likely change the pump myself. I don't like other people working on my vehicle...

Ya changed hoods. Its been work in progress... The scoop insert was not in good shape. All mounting points were stripped and damaged. I made some studs and JB welded them to the mounting holes (ghetto...LOL)... New insert costs $100 so that was way cheaper. I had to get the scoop grille and guide which were missing and rivet those to the scoop insert. I will put some pictures up in my build thread once its all done
Old 05-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
I ran a leak and took it in. My coolant cap wasnt holding pressure, they replaced it.
^^This is a possibility as well and easier to replace than a water pump.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
Sorry to hear it. Mine has some seepage around the front of the block which got me concerned at one point. After monitoring my coolant levels for a while it didn't seem to be losing very much coolant.

pics?
Here are the pics...

Coolant Residue on P/S pulley and P/S reservoir.

Coolant Residue on bracket right next to the water pump pulley.

Coolant residue on alternator and airbox.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2005 model, bought it used with the extended warranty.

Water pump went out at 63k miles, and they honored the warranty even with my mods.

Why don't you take it in and see if it will they will honor the warranty before you spend a bunch of money.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's coolant, mine looked exactly the same.

Would kind of difficult for automatic transmission fluid (ATF) to get on the front of the engine like that...
Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Put your finger in it and see if its oily.
Its dry...lol

I was watching the engine while it was running and couldn't see any leaks whatsoever...
Old 05-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
Mob parking lots.

Did you take it to the fuckin dealer yet dude?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
There is a weep hole on the bottom of the water pump. If the shaft seal is toast, there will be obvious leakage. There will be a line of residue running down from the WP shaft. Some coolant might be run off the WP pulley and be flung.
It should be fairly obvious looking at the engine form underneath.
I found mine going bad during an oil change. Warrantied around 36k.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #15
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
There is a weep hole on the bottom of the water pump. If the shaft seal is toast, there will be obvious leakage. There will be a line of residue running down from the WP shaft. Some coolant might be run off the WP pulley and be flung.
It should be fairly obvious looking at the engine form underneath.
I found mine going bad during an oil change. Warrantied around 36k.
Thats exactly what I am experiencing and seeing... Well I will try to take it to the dealer and see what they say...
Old 05-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #16
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
When it starts to leak, it's only a matter of time before the bearings seize. They don't run long in coolant when the grease is gone.
Warranty work= 1-1.5 hr labor. Get it in ASAP.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
When it starts to leak, it's only a matter of time before the bearings seize. They don't run long in coolant when the grease is gone.
Warranty work= 1-1.5 hr labor. Get it in ASAP.
The Taco is going in on Wednesday at 8am. The water pump is covered under 5year/60k warranty

I hope I get my truck washed too... It needs it...LOL
Old 05-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #18
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Just had the WP replaced under warranty at 40K on my 2TR. Leaking from the front seal, not the pump to block gasket..