Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Blacked out grill

Old 05-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
cyuhlater is on a distinguished road
Name: Bob
cyuhlater's Tacoma Gallery
Blacked out grill

Anyone find a post on a good how to black out your grill? My search isnt working.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
check the plasti dipped thread. plenty of people have done it on there

edit: i swear i posted pictures of me doing it.. but its pretty straight forward if you as me. what exactly are you trying to do?
Old 05-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
i have pictures in my gallery so this is what i did.. with plasti dip that is. looks good faraway, but if you're really looking for imperfections you can find them up close

vs chrome grille

Old 05-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Did you have to use a high tempered paint like if you were to spray your radiator? Also, did you use a gloss finish on yours?
Old 05-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
TW's BAD MF'er Squad
Dirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Dean
Dirty5Thirty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyuhlater View Post
Did you have to use a high tempered paint like if you were to spray your radiator? Also, did you use a gloss finish on yours?
There is no "gloss" plasti dip, and clear coating it is a no go. It's a ruberized spray that we use as paint. Minimal prepwork and clean up. and the good thing is, is that if the plasti dip gets damaged in any way, you just peel it off and respray it.

All plastidip
Old 05-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you paint the radiator, mask off around it and use high temp BBQ paint. His is not a gloss finish because he used plasti dip. It will come out matte black
Old 05-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
Im looking to keep the chrome, but blackout the inside.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
TW's BAD MF'er Squad
Dirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Quote:
you mean painting the two bars that are already black, black?
Old 05-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you want a flat finish, plasti dip is the easiest way to go. For a gloss, lightly sand with medium grit sandpaper the plastic area you want to paint, paint with filler primer, sand it down with high grit sand paper, then gloss black, then clearcoat, then lightly sand it with fine grit (~1400) sand paper and polish it. Make sure to follow the instructions on the back of the paint cans
Old 05-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
My bars are dark charcoal grey.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #12
Quote:
My bars are dark charcoal grey.
mine too. i dont like it haha

i gotta get around to changing it to matte black
Old 05-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
TW's BAD MF'er Squad

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacokid09 View Post
mine too. i dont like it haha

i gotta get around to changing it to matte black
I was given a new billet grille from a buddy, and then plasti dipped that, and the chrome. looks great IMHO
Old 05-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #14
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Spray painted my grill and bumper flat black..
Old 05-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty5Thirty View Post
I was given a new billet grille from a buddy, and then plasti dipped that, and the chrome. looks great IMHO
well reason why i havent gotta around to it is because i want to to a satoshi(sp?) grill then put lights behind it. Just like yours ahha.