Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

replacing u joints

Old 05-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Camburg :)
Ptowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryce
Ptowntaco's Tacoma Gallery
replacing u joints

I have a 2000 prerunner an my u joints are bad. There is a good clunk when going from reverse to drive or drive to reverse.

My question is do i need to have my drive shaft re-balanced after i replace them or can i just replace them an be good?

Thanks Bryce
Old 05-10-2011, 06:15 AM   #2
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptowntaco View Post
I have a 2000 prerunner an my u joints are bad. There is a good clunk when going from reverse to drive or drive to reverse.

My question is do i need to have my drive shaft re-balanced after i replace them or can i just replace them an be good?

Thanks Bryce
There is no rule to that, but... when you replacing them make sure you keep those locking tabs the same way as they were on old u-joint. Those locking tabs are what sets u-joint for shaft to be balanced. So before you remove old u-joint mark everything . Drive shaft and each locking tab. If you do that most likely there will be no need to balance. if you don't then you going have to get shaft rebalanced.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Camburg :)
Ptowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryce
Ptowntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Clunk doesn't mean ujoints are bad. Clunk means that there is some (necessary) play between the gears in the differential.

Sign of a bad ujoint is that the thing vibrates/shakes when driving.
there is vibrations when i drive also i left that out sorry