Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

ARB Locker Switch

Old 05-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Bird is on a distinguished road

Name: Jay
Bird's Tacoma Gallery
ARB Locker Switch

I was at the offroad shop yesterday talking about getting a rear arb locker. The guy suggested putting the compressor and the locker on one switch for a cleaner looking install and to save blanks for other add ons like lights. I searched and didn't see any installs like this. If it won't cause problems, I like the way it looks but if there is a greater chance of failure, I don't want to do it.

Has anyone done this?

Any reason not to? Will the compressor generate enough instant pressure to avoid damage or is this common practice?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
get them separate. If you want to have an on board air system you will want the compressor the be able to function independently from the locker.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
No thanks. You need full control. Although it takes no time for the compressor to reach pressure to activate the locker I would want full control over compressor and locker on their own switch.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. I personal thing it would be stupid to do that. IMO that guy is an idiot
Old 05-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The whole reason there is a separate switch is so you can use the compressor for other things. I would still keep it on a separate switch even if it was only used for one locker.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #8

Bird's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a pretty definitive "don't do it"

Just to make sure I'm on the same page, when would I want my compressor on but not my locker if I'm not using it to air up?
(and even if I am, filling the sealed line to the locker won't leak much air, right?)
Old 05-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #9

Bird's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The whole reason there is a separate switch is so you can use the compressor for other things. I would still keep it on a separate switch even if it was only used for one locker.
Maybe I'm not getting it here, but I was under the impression that the ARB compressor was not going to be very good at doing much of anything other than activating the locker because of its size, strength and lack of a tank. Am I going into this with the wrong idea about it?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird View Post
Maybe I'm not getting it here, but I was under the impression that the ARB compressor was not going to be very good at doing much of anything other than activating the locker because of its size, strength and lack of a tank. Am I going into this with the wrong idea about it?
It isn't the best for airing up but many use it for different things and it does just fine.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #11

Bird's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
It isn't the best for airing up but many use it for different things and it does just fine.
Sounds good. Thanks for the help, guys. I'll be calling them shortly.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
The standard compressor wont do much but run the lockers. The heavy duty or new constant duty will air up tires nicely!

There is a solenoid that is switched by the actual locker switch that allows pressure to engage the locker. When the locker is off there is not excessive pressure in the line to the locker.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
The standard compressor wont do much but run the lockers. The heavy duty or new constant duty will air up tires nicely!

There is a solenoid that is switched by the actual locker switch that allows pressure to engage the locker. When the locker is off there is not excessive pressure in the line to the locker.
When I had my jeep I got a bigger compressor and extra 5 gallon tank to run air tools and lockers. Worked great
Old 05-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
I think the main reason you want to wire them separately is that its harder to accidentally activate two switches than it is to accidentally activate ONE switch. You *really* don't want to accidentally activate your locker, could make you dead if you need to steer fast.

Now there are, of course, ways to make the single-switch locker SAFE.... wire it in series with your 4-LOW switch... then it can't activate unless you are in 4L. Or even your 4H switch, if you're certain that you won't ever be driving on the road in 4.

You could also use a memory circuit and a momentary contact switch in series with your BRAKE LIGHT circuit.. then you would have to be pressing the brakes for the locker to activate (which is probably a good idea regardless...)
All good points!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #15
Slapps74 is a jewel in the roughSlapps74 is a jewel in the roughSlapps74 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Chris
Slapps74's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird View Post
Sounds like a pretty definitive "don't do it"

Just to make sure I'm on the same page, when would I want my compressor on but not my locker if I'm not using it to air up?
(and even if I am, filling the sealed line to the locker won't leak much air, right?)
The line should not leak any air. Second I wired my S-10 that way. You cant run the locker with air and so what if the locker is engaged when your putting air in your tires.