1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

99 with key that only works the ignition

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Stout890, May 10, 2011.

1. May 10, 2011 at 11:28 PM
    Stout890

Stout890 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    So I bought a 99 ext cab a week or so ago and it's a clean truck, but it has the oddest issues. One being that the only key I have for the truck does not work any lock on the truck it seems to only start the ignition. So I'm wondering what I can do or try to have a key that works everything inside the truck. Thanks in advance for your help guys.
    P.s I get in and out of the truck with the alarm clicker.

2. May 10, 2011 at 11:43 PM
    egan

egan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Steilacoom, WA
    Vehicle:
    95 Single Cab 4wd
    maybe they hadto replace the ignition?
    when i had to replace mine, i got a new key that only works with it.

so now, i open the doors with one and start it with another.

3. May 10, 2011 at 11:51 PM
    Celtic

Celtic Tactical Trunk Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    McKinleyville, CA
    Vehicle:
    In the market for V6, 6MT 4X4
    Sold my 2006 V6 6MT AC Offroad like an idiot.
    Yep sounds like it got a new ignition but didn't get the doors re-keyed. Maybe ask the previous owner if they have the other keys laying around?

4. May 11, 2011 at 12:11 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    Yeah the ignition was probably replaced. You could get a new lock set from a dealer most likely, or remove all the locks and take em to a locksmith and have his set them up for the key you have.

5. May 11, 2011 at 12:19 AM
    VI4x4

VI4x4 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    '99 Taco 4x4
    3 inch Rev-Teck Puck Lift 33' BFG All-terrain 32 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Blacked out rims K&N Cold Air Alpine Head Unit Sunfire Red Pearl (3K4)
    I had this problem with my '99.
    When it started the doors were intermittent. Sometimes I could open them with the key, other times not possible, but it always worked in the ignition. Then it stopped working in the doors at all.

I got a new key cut from the key code. There should be a key code in the front of your owners manual, if not take your VIN to a dealer they can look up your code. Take it to a locksmith, get him to check that it matches your current key, and get a new one cut.
    Mine are perfect now.

The locksmith told me it was because the teeth on the key wear widthwise. Which affects the split tumblers from lifting correctly. By getting a key cut from your code it will produce an 'as new key'

That is one possibility, that or your doors or ignition have been re-keyed

My truck actually had been fully re-keyed (ignition and all) and the key code I had was not valid, however the locksmith was able to reproduce my code by reading my current key.

6. May 12, 2011 at 1:24 AM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    thanks for all those ideas guys. and yeah it just doesn't work at all in any lock, not even a little bit. iv only owned the car for a week or so and haven't really driven it yet. stinks i didn't even notice until a week after i bought it, i kept using the alarm clicker. i could have talked the guy way down...oh well its only the first used vehicle iv ever bought private party.

yeah i think the ignition was replaced. i called sierra Toyota over here and was told i could get a brand new key cut off my vin for 7 bucks and than i could take out the ignition tumbler and have a locksmith re-key it for me to work with the key off my vin.

sounds like at lest getting the vin. key made will be the best thing to do first. just in case my alarm clicker decides to take a dump on me.

anyone know how difficult it is to take out the ignition tumbler? the Technion seemed to think it wasn't a hard task.

7. May 13, 2011 at 12:51 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    I wouldnt take it out til you confirmed the ignition was replaced. Have them cut the key and see if it works your doors and then your ignition. Like VI4x4 said, it could just be a worn key. As for removing it, iirc you turn it to acc and there should be a small retainer pin to press in, and then it will slide out.

8. May 13, 2011 at 3:09 AM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    yeah i wouldn't do that, i plan on getting the key tomorrow first and checking it all out. looks like the tech was right it does come out pretty darn easy i guess than. wonder how easy it is to find a smyth to re key it...

9. May 28, 2011 at 10:18 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    so i got the key cut for the vin and vwalla it works everything!! i have no clue what was wrong with the old keys. the y both look just like the new one.

p.s the new one intermittently doesn't work in the ignition. i have to pull it out and either use the old key to start it and than it works again for a while or i take something and round down the hard edges of the new key a bit and that seems to so the trick.

makes me wonder if my ignition key barrel is gonna go out soon

Products Discussed in

To Top