Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

05-08 temperature console in 09-11

Old 05-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
05-08 temperature console in 09-11

I know there has been a ton of talk about this, but nobody with the actual answer. Obviously the two consoles are different, but there has to be a way to retro-fit the cheaper 05-08 in our newer ones. Anyone know anything about them? You should be able to just cut and splice the wires into the plug you can get from the dealer shouldnt you?
Old 05-14-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
The 09-11 uses a 5 wire harness and the earlier models use a 6 wire harness. Also, the 09-11 uses a temp sensor off the A/C unit, not a separate unit like on the earlier models. The temp signal is sent through the A/C control module before it goes to the mirror harness. I have heard of people adapting the console to fit the other harness, but they got crazy readings on their temp display.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Hilux View Post
The 09-11 uses a 5 wire harness and the earlier models use a 6 wire harness. Also, the 09-11 uses a temp sensor off the A/C unit, not a separate unit like on the earlier models. The temp signal is sent through the A/C control module before it goes to the mirror harness. I have heard of people adapting the console to fit the other harness, but they got crazy readings on their temp display.
Ya thats what I thought. Might have to crack and pay for one
Old 05-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure you can use the 05-08, but you would have to run 2 wires from the unit all the way to the front and add a second temp sensor.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassco View Post
Pretty sure you can use the 05-08, but you would have to run 2 wires from the unit all the way to the front and add a second temp sensor.
Really? Mine is wired with a sensor already. Could I just use that one?
Old 05-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Yes you have a sensor, but as stated above it it for use to optimize the A/C system. You either swap in a 09+ console that can read the single sensor wire reading or use an older 05-08 and run two wires to a second temp sensor which you must purchase as well. No guarantees and people have had issues still, but this is how people have done it with the older units.

I wouldn't do what I think you are contemplating which is just run the 2 wires to the existing temp sensor used for the A/C. That's an electrical issue waiting to happen. Good luck.

Edit: i just noticed that you have the 2.7L . You can't just swap in the 09+ console as the A/C relays are different then in the V6 and won't work with the console. I have tried this on mine using a friend's console and I just got dashes. Your only reasonable choice here is a 05-08 console with the second sensor. For 1/4 the cost you can do what I did and get a nice temp gauge and mount it.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat as you. The retrofit will end up costing you more money than what it's worth. Your best bet is to wait it out till they become more available for the later models.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. The retrofit will end up costing you more money than what it's worth. Your best bet is to wait it out till they become more available for the later models.
ouuuuuuuu, not good at waiting lol