LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Throttle Body Butteryfly valve

Old 05-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Throttle Body Butteryfly valve

I removed the throttle body today to give it a good clean out.

I noticed when the throttle is fully closed I can see some of a gap between the butterfly valve and the throttle body. Especially when holding it up to the sky I can see some daylight between the flap and body. Is this normal?

I have high idle problems and im wondering if the extra air which can sneak thru here is causing the slightly higher idle?

Does this make sense? I hope someone can help out, thanks
Old 05-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody??
Old 05-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The butterfly valve wouldn't just simply wear away and cause a larger gap unless it was rubbing the housing the whole time. Have you checked the IAC valve?
Old 05-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
the gap is normal for most throttle bodies...high idle could be caused by a vacuum leak or perhaps an idle control valve also maybe a mass air meter. also try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes to reset the computers learned adaptations...dont get scared if the truck stalls once or twice after the battery has been disconnected its normal...let it idle for about 5 minutes.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know, but I would say there has to be a gap for the truck to idle...
it needs that little bit of air.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Idle air control valve takes care of idle speed. The throttle has a set gap, do not mess with it.
If the truck runs fine, other than high idle, you have a metered air issue. This would point to the IAC having carbon build up and not seating, which allows more air and a higher idle. If it hesitates, you have an unmetered air problem. Vac lines or intake has a leak after the MAF sensor.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #8

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, great advice. WIll replace the IAC - hopefully I can find one cheap online. Dealership was a little over $700!

When cleaning the throttle body I tried to get the IAC off to inspect but one of the screws was very soft and it just shreaded the fitting.

I tried turning the throttle back manually really hard and playing with it. This reduced RPM to 1000rpms. Not sure if this would be damaging it or indicating a throttle body issue? As soon as I tapped the gas pedal again tho it was back to normal high idle.