Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Plowing a gravel road - possible?

Old 05-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
Fenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fenrisulfr's Tacoma Gallery
Plowing a gravel road - possible?

I am looking at a piece of property that is connected to a state-maintained road via 0,5km of gravel road. I would like to set up the Tacoma to plough this, but I am concerned about a few factors:

• The Tacoma's ploughing capabilities - what would be the relevant rating to consider when determining whether it can fit a given plough? Would a Tundra be preferable in lieu, and would it be worth the trouble to swap?
    (mine is a 4x4 V6, no TRD...I have no clue what TRD does)
  • Gravel - this can turn to dirt or mud, which would reduce traction. It may also interfere with the ploughing; I am not sure about this. This could be mitigated with the right tyres if I recall.
  • Lift + larger tyres - from what I understand, that may help with the gravel+crap, but it may sap the truck's power because it is rotating heavier wheels at a lower RPM. What is the smallest tyre offering flotation on snow? 38"s seem a bit excessive; I am hoping to get away with something a bit smaller.
Finally, if you had to outfit a Tacoma to do well in these circumstances, what would be your ideal build? Keep in mind that NC does not have a height limit per se; I would just have to adjust the headlights if they are north of 42".

Thank you for your trouble in helping with this.

(My apologies if these specific matters were covered in another thread; I found other threads but none addressing gravel, and most offered conflicting opinions but little data)
Old 05-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Well a lift wouldn't help with traction..
some aired down mud terrains, or in snow chains or studs would work well I would Imagine..
and If you had TRD offroad you would have a rear locker,
another large increase in traction
Old 05-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
Fenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenrisulfr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Just to be sure...a rear locker is a locking differential on the rear tyres, and can that be installed separately?
Old 05-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
Is this just to maintain the road and keep it smooth? In that scenario I think your best bet would be a box style scraper attached to the back. Some MT's would be your best bet for a tire that you would also use on the road. If you're willing to switch the tires out some chevron style tires would be better for this, but are NOT for onroad at all.
For the price of doing the mods you want to your taco to do this you'd probably be able to find a small tractor that would do the job even better.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:59 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008taco View Post
Is this just to maintain the road and keep it smooth? In that scenario I think your best bet would be a box style scraper attached to the back. Some MT's would be your best bet for a tire that you would also use on the road. If you're willing to switch the tires out some chevron style tires would be better for this, but are NOT for onroad at all.
For the price of doing the mods you want to your taco to do this you'd probably be able to find a small tractor that would do the job even better.
It's just to remove enough of the snow so that the road is navigable. Could you tell me more about box style scrapers?
Old 05-14-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Not all Mt or mud terrain are not recommended for snow or ice. Find some tires with "m+s" on the side wall or the mountain and snowflake on there or both. Those tires are made for snow.

The Trd sport package came with a limited slip differential and the Trd Offroad package came with a locking differential.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:08 AM   #7
qckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
qckslvr2234's Tacoma Gallery
I have never owned a plow on a truck so I cant answer that but I do plow my gravel driveway with my tractor. The main task you are trying to accomplish with a gravel driveway is to plow enough snow out of the way so that you can drive comfortably on it. You are not going to be plowing it to the ground like they do on the street. This would just tear your driveway up.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
If you mean to smooth the gravel, you want to use a grader or a dozer, or DRAG a road level device... a harrow , pre leveling holes .
Tacoma with a plow would work for snow provided the road isn't too uneven. In any case plow the road while its not built up with snow too high, and keep the plow 1/4-1/2" off the road, yes , dont plow all the snow off , just get as close as is safe. Start out high until you know its safe to lower it a bit. Use a light plow and go slow, chain up for some extra traction, snow can get heavy fast.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
blue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblue97taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: alex
blue97taco's Tacoma Gallery
where are you at in nc
Old 05-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
monkey wrench is on a distinguished road

Name: sean
monkey wrench's Tacoma Gallery
just chain up your truck at all 4 wheels and you should be fine. just stay on top of it and don't let the snow get too deep before you get out there. 4-6" at a time. unless it real cold an the snow is light.

but a tractor would be the ticket. if you have a few acres and a road/driveway to maintain they are indespencible. you can get older ones with a few implements for less then $4000.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue97taco View Post
where are you at in nc
I am currently in SW Virginia; the property is in Boone / Banner Elk which is also mountainous. I got the V6 4x4 with this in mind, but I am concerned about snow since I would have to plough 0,5km to get to a maintained road.

The reason I am asking about modifications is because I was hoping to modify the truck anyway for off-roading.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Fenrisulfr,

There are numerous plow set-ups for Tacomas....Fisher, Boss,Myers,Blizzard and Western.... try this for a start to your new education www.GoPlow.com

My suggestion...find a dealer you can trust for both the sales and parts end of this process...a good price will not mean $hit when a storm comes in and you can not get your plow serviced or fixed....

Maintaining your road maybe quite simple IF you set things up that way....During good weather dragging a "Drop fence" behind your TACO will bring surprising results....

Good luck and PLEASE do all of your fact finding before you make BIG decisions.....The results might make your purchase that much more enjoyable..
Old 05-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #13
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
If you have an aftermarket warranty, a plow will void it. My warranty specifically states this.
Mushroom feet for the plow will help the plow float over gravel without digging in. You can adjust by adding or subtracting washers/spacers.
Box graders are shit for snow removal, unless you run in reverse. Then, it will only push snow in a straight line.
AT or all season tires will work, AT are better though. Keep some weight in the rear end to keep it planted. Sand bags or water bladders work well.
Make sure you have a supplemental trans cooler installed, if you have an auto. Plowing is rough on trans and driveline. Expect to shorten the lifespan of your truck from plowing.
Keep it slow. Hitting things sucks!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #14
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma will work for plowing snow off your drive way. Leave it stock with MT tires, put some weight in the back for traction, keep your plow blade at least 1/2 inch off the ground. To level the gravel on your drive way, try dragging an old train rail or something simiular. A tractor would work better, but the Tacoma can get the job done.