Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Will DIY HID Install void warranty?

Old 05-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
valleyheat is on a distinguished road
valleyheat's Tacoma Gallery
Will DIY HID Install void warranty?

Wondering if anyone would know the answer to this question, if its able to be answered at all.

After installing the slim cubby HID kit, my alternator died out. Got it replaced yesterday and 30 miles later, the alternator seemed to die again and the new battery died. Im thinking something in the HID wiring caused the short. The mechanic stated the engine bay looked like I went offroading and that couldve got water into the alternator.

My dilemma at this time is whether to get it towed to the dealership. Im 50 miles away from the dealership and they are telling me that if the issue is not covered under warranty, I must pay for the tow.
Obviously something is killing my alternator but im worried im gonna get stuck with towing charges and parts and labor if they try to pin the issue to the HID install or the dirty engine bay (I did not go offroad at all though).

Any suggestions anyone could provide?
Old 05-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Use a different dealer if you can. It sounds like your dealer doesn't like to work on cars.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
well think of it this way, do you think the alternator doesnt get wet driving doown the road in a rain storm?
Old 05-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
im wondering if i ground the red battery wire improperly. I was told I could wire it to a spot on the fuse rather than the battery itself. Problem is I can rewire or remove the HID's as im stuck at a ski resort.

Might have to just leave my car here and come back in a week to take the HIDs off before I get it towed to the stealership..
Old 05-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Red should be positive not gound.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyheat View Post
im wondering if i ground the red battery wire improperly. I was told I could wire it to a spot on the fuse rather than the battery itself. Problem is I can rewire or remove the HID's as im stuck at a ski resort.

Might have to just leave my car here and come back in a week to take the HIDs off before I get it towed to the stealership..
Gosh, that gave me a headache... ground the red wire to a fuse? I'm hoping your terminology is wrong.

The black (typically) is ground - ie, to the frame somewhere. The red, if it's supplying power, comes off a relay, not the fuse directly, or via the battery directly.

If you wired the HID's improperly, you certainly could drain the battery... I think. I'm not an electrician, but I've wired 5 pairs of aux lamps.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
maybe my terminology is wrong.. its not a fuse, but within the fuse box a spot where I was told is the same as the positive on the battery.
Should I just rewire that wire to the battery and then call toyota or should i be safe and just put all the stock lights back on first?

thx for all the help guys..
Old 05-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Banned
If your dealer is already bitching about doing the work before even seeing the truck in person I would remove it before taking it in.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
wing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud of

wing103's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wing103 Send a message via AIM to wing103 Send a message via MSN to wing103 Send a message via Yahoo to wing103 Send a message via Skype™ to wing103
In this case, took the HID kit out, put the OEM light back on, only take about half hours.
Therefore your dealership will not bitching any stuff that you add casue the problem.

The HID kit that you have in most case, the red hook up to the battery+, black hook up to the body ground (or hook up directly to the battery -)
I wish you luck with the fix.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:29 AM   #10
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
If your dealer is already bitching about doing the work before even seeing the truck in person I would remove it before taking it in.
ditto.

Then putz around the lighting section for a while. There's a bunch of decent threads on how to wire in a light.

I've never done HIDs, but I assume it's the same - power cord, ground and some sort of on/off switch. Running off the battery directly isn't really suggested (go through a relay). I've never tried going through a fuse for the power, but maybe someone can help you there. I have, however, put the on/off switch to the relay into a fuse box - probably wouldn't do that if these are your headlights.