Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

ToyotaCare Oil Change Interval

Old 05-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
ToyotaCare Oil Change Interval

Just go my TOYO care booklet and it states 10k mile oil changes using synthetic for the V6 and 5k interval for 4I. Reading other posts I had thought they changed it every 5k on the V6 but they just top it off. This means they run the break in oil for 10k miles -OUCH!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
No response so guessing this is old news. Changed over to M1 EP at 3k miles anyways -and always roll my own.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Best bet is to do a couple oil samples, and see what the report says. Otherwise, stick with the 5k change.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Using the M1 EP I do a 10k mile oil change and the filter gets swapped at 5k. My point in the original post is that Toyo is saying to go 10k on your new motor and that does not sound like something I would want do due to all the metal shavings you produce during the break-in miles.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSport View Post
Using the M1 EP I do a 10k mile oil change and the filter gets swapped at 5k. My point in the original post is that Toyo is saying to go 10k on your new motor and that does not sound like something I would want do due to all the metal shavings you produce during the break-in miles.
Engines are pre broken in at the factory when they are made.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Engines are pre broken in at the factory when they are made.
How is that? Does Toyo put the truck on a dyno and run it up to 6k rpm's with fiull drive train attached? I can see that running the engine in the factory does bring on some wear but that is the same oil that they ship it out with (?). Add to that, there is still plenty of shavings produced when you run the motor under load during break-in. I guess it is your own choice but mine is to get the junk out.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
How is that? Does Toyo put the truck on a dyno and run it up to 6k rpm's with fiull drive train attached? I can see that running the engine in the factory does bring on some wear but that is the same oil that they ship it out with (?). Add to that, there is still plenty of shavings produced when you run the motor under load during break-in. I guess it is your own choice but mine is to get the junk out.
The engine breaks in within a few minutes of running. No dyno runs needed to fully break in an engine. Any slight shavings that might come off during break in fall to the bottom of the pan or get trapped in the filter. I let the stock oil go to 5000 and now I'm at 32K miles with no problems.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The engine breaks in within a few minutes of running. No dyno runs needed to fully break in an engine. Any slight shavings that might come off during break in fall to the bottom of the pan or get trapped in the filter. I let the stock oil go to 5000 and now I'm at 32K miles with no problems.
Oh really? When and what was the last engine YOU totally rebuilt???
Old 05-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
I never have and I never claimed to. Have you? But in reality the engine does break in within the first few minutes of running. Exotic manufactures put an engine together, let it run for a few minutes to check for leaks then run a full power test on a dyno. No issues there. Only flat tappet cams need special break in RPM cycling and an immediate oil change when done.

2010 4.0 V6 with 32K miles with no problems here. I usually get 20 mpg too.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #10

Quote:
If they were left to be broken in by John Q Public, they wouldnt last 20k miles. Like Wipper said, they are run in after they are built at the factory.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Do You Really Need to Break in a New Car?
It’s a common question with one answer and a lot of opinions.

First, let’s stress that the owner’s manual for your car is the authoritative guide to any break-in procedures. Almost all manufacturers have recommendations in these handbooks. That being said, engine break-in is subject to opinion, just as are oil change intervals and tire pressures.
Breaking in a new car used to require following a stringent driving style for a certain number of miles. Many of the newest engines, though, have no break-in at all. As we stated, all the info you need is in your owner’s manual. Because policies and procedures for breaking in a new car are changing with rapidly advancing engineering and technology, this is an interesting topic among car experts.
Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers, AKA Tom and Ray Magliozzi on the popular National Public Radio show, Car Talk, say the issue is properly “seating the piston rings.”
Tom: What does that mean? Well, at the heart of the engine are your pistons. They look like soup cans, and they go up and down inside the cylinders. It's crucial that there is a perfect, tight fit between the outside of the pistons and the inside of the cylinder walls.
Ray: So, the pistons are surrounded by spring-loaded rings, which push out against the walls and keep the seal tight. Otherwise, oil will get past the rings, and you'll "burn oil."
Tom: And the theory of "break in" is this: If the rings and the cylinder walls don't come out of the factory matching up perfectly, the break-in period gives them a chance to conform to each other during relatively "light duty" service, which involves going slowly and varying the speed.
Ray: Why is it 1,200 miles on one car, and 600 on another? Because it's not an exact science. I think each manufacturer is making its best guess as to how much time the rings will need. It's probably based on how many people have whined to them in the past about their cars burning oil. They look at their warranty claims and say, "OK, guys, let's jack it up another 200 miles and see if that helps."
Tom: It's interesting to note that some carmakers are so confident in their precision manufacturing that they require no break-in period at all.
Here’s the typical break-in advice published by one major car manufacturer:
“A long break-in period is not required for the engine in your vehicle.
“Drive moderately during the first 300 mi (500 km). After the initial 60 mi (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
“While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration, within the limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.”
Pretty “middle-of-the-road,” isn’t it? That’s because engine break-in isn’t the big deal it once was. To get a bit technical, that’s because engine manufacturers are able to hone the cylinders with far greater precision. Where cylinder clearances used to be in the thousandths of an inch, now they are in the ten thousandths. Bores are rounder and straighter. That means the pistons and the rings fit better, and that means there is less need for “wearing-in” the parts. There’s less friction, less heat buildup and less chance of improper seating of the piston rings.
Most experts agree that the “golden rule” in breaking in your new car is to warm up the engine before running it hard. That doesn’t mean idling for any length of time – not necessary! It does mean “taking it easy” the first few miles until you see the needle on the temperature gauge moving into the “normal” zone.
The process of engine break-in starts with low revs and about one-quarter throttle. Gradually, you rev a little higher and add a little more throttle. During this period, don’t keep the engine revs high for a long time. The idea is to gradually use more and more of the rev range, allowing the engine parts to wear-harden over time. The break-in for today’s engines is generally 700 to 1,000 miles.

One thing that hasn’t changed with engine break-in is the need for an early oil change. While the recommended oil change intervals for modern cars and trucks have been extended, the break-in oil and filter change should occur around 1,000 miles. This will clean out any fine metal particles dislodged in the first miles you put on your new car. Once those are out of the engine, you should be good to go, and go and go.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
Banned
Why would the factory recommend something if it was harmful to the engine?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
not trying to be a wise ass, but neither of you answered my question. I expected that from whipper not from chris.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
Banned
Ok well to answer you question the V6 needs it done every 5000 miles. The 4 bangers get it every 10000 miles. This info is in the owners manual.

Also never buy their maintenance plans.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #15

Quote:
not trying to be a wise ass, but neither of you answered my question. I expected that from whipper not from chris.
Did I miss the question?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Ok well to answer you question the V6 needs it done every 5000 miles. The 4 bangers get it every 10000 miles. This info is in the owners manual.
sorry little whipper, you are not qualifed to answer my questions. If you look at what chris in an attachement that supports what I stated but his comments agree with your BS. Again, neither answered my question. I am not a mechanic but have rebuilt engines, so not a CME (certified manual engineer).
Old 05-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Did I miss the question?
There was no question.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #18
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just go my TOYO care booklet and it states 10k mile oil changes using synthetic for the V6 and 5k interval for 4I. Reading other posts I had thought they changed it every 5k on the V6 but they just top it off. This means they run the break in oil for 10k miles -OUCH!
You got a booklet? They sent me a key chain thingy. No booklet.They told me every 5k on my V6.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #19

Quote:
sorry little whipper, you are not qualifed to answer my questions. If you look at what chris in an attachement that supports what I stated but his comments agree with your BS. Again, neither answered my question. I am not a mechanic but have rebuilt engines, so not a CME (certified manual engineer).
hey man...Chill on the hostility.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #20
Quote:
Did I miss the question?
apparantly, my question was do they change the oil after running it at the factory and prior to shipping the motor out? if so, that is a concern to running the motor for another 10k miles on the same oil.