LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Power Steering Hose Grounding Out?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #21
7.3L Powerstroke Care Taker
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Son of a bitch I am frustrated. New starter is in. Everything appears to be grounded properly. Battery reads 12.6 volts between the poles. Positive power cable AT the starter reads 12.6 volts.

Get in the truck, turn the key, click click click click repeatedly. What the heck am I missing?

I push started the truck to make sure that momentary insanity of charging the entire engine didn't destroy anything - it didn't. The truck starts fine that way.

The only thing I can think of is that when the positive terminal is disconnected from the battery and I touch the neg on my voltmeter to the positive pole and the positive on my voltmeter to the positive (disconnected) battery clamp I get a reading of -12.3 volts. Does this mean I still have a short somewhere? Ugh

EDIT: I also bypassed everything and ran a 16 gauge wire from the solenoid switch directly to the positive battery terminal. Still just clicks.

Could it be my battery doesn't have enough amps? It's slightly smaller than the one that was in the truck before.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #22
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Holy cow. Figured it out finally. I had a ground wire on the firewall I had not yet connected since the rebuild. My guess is that it had been laying on the valve cover and connecting but it finally fell off and behind the engine. I connected this again and it started immediately. What a pain in the ass for nothing. Haha. Thanks again for your help. I will be replacing all of my ground wires.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:45 AM   #23
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Well done. The -12V means you had the leads of the meter backwards. If you would have switched the red lead to the positive side of the battery it would have been +12V.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #24

YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
See? I said it, didn't I? Bad starter (even if it was self-imposed) **AND** bad ground.

To put it technically, if the ground is attached to the engine properly, then there can't possibly be any voltage difference between the battery's negative terminal and the engine because the resistance between them would be ZERO. The equation is V=IR (voltage = current x resistance). If R=0, then it doesn't matter what the current is, V=Ix0=0. If you measure V>0, the ground MUST be bad, because that is the only way that R>0.
Yep you get an I told you so. But I didn't realize I was missing an extra ground.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #25
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
See? I said it, didn't I? Bad starter (even if it was self-imposed) **AND** bad ground.

To put it technically, if the ground is attached to the engine properly, then there can't possibly be any voltage difference between the battery's negative terminal and the engine because the resistance between them would be ZERO. The equation is V=IR (voltage = current x resistance). If R=0, then it doesn't matter what the current is, V=Ix0=0. If you measure V>0, the ground MUST be bad, because that is the only way that R>0.
You want a cookie?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:15 AM   #26

Marines:
Quote:
Yes, please
Don't spoil your dinner.............