Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

transfer case and front differential

Old 05-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
spinso71 is on a distinguished road
Name: Shawn
spinso71's Tacoma Gallery
transfer case and front differential

I only use my 4 wheel drive a few times a year and was wondering how often should I think about replacing the oil in both.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
did mine @ 100k....black as night up front
Old 05-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i do mine every 30k. coming up on it's second change in a few 3-4k miles.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I did both axles and the T case at 30K but everything looked fine. I could have waited until 50K.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
KBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (DD-214), 3d Marine Division
Name: Kurt
KBToyota's Tacoma Gallery
With A.D.D the front diff still turns even in 2WD I beleive. SO I believe in it doesnt matter how much you use 4WD it still needs to be changed.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBToyota View Post
With A.D.D the front diff still turns even in 2WD I beleive. SO I believe in it doesnt matter how much you use 4WD it still needs to be changed.
Yeah is still spins since the driver's side axle is still directly connected to the ring gear.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
spinso71 is on a distinguished road
Name: Shawn
spinso71's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the info. I just had the rear diff oil changed (30k miles)and was wondering mainly about the front diff. I'm going to have the front diff oil changed and wait until 60K to do the transfer case.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
KBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (DD-214), 3d Marine Division
Name: Kurt
KBToyota's Tacoma Gallery
In my 2006 Tundra it was common for the front Diff oil to be worse than the rear because it has a lower capacity, sure the same is true for the Tacoma. Best to do the front and rear at the same interval.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Im going to let my current change go 60k. Mobil 1 synthetic in everything but the tranny.