Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

2nd gear scratch on 6 speed in a 06

Old 05-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
I miss my Taco
Zombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zombie's Tacoma Gallery
2nd gear scratch on 6 speed in a 06

I just picked up my 06 4x4 with a six speed trans, but I have noticed that most of the time when I shift into 2nd it grinds a bit. It won't do it if I push the clutch in and let the RPM's drop quite a bit. Could this be a bad sign?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
sycros possibly
Old 05-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yes what? lol
Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
Almost there

Oh sorry I can read. I did not know if you were saying yes to 1) bad or 2) to my sycro comment.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
mr2r6 will become famous soon enoughmr2r6 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kiel
mr2r6's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah prob a syncro. Try some redline gear oil. It works wonders in my mr2 tranny. If the grind is really bad prob wont help.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
I miss my Taco
Zombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zombie's Tacoma Gallery
So no one else has had this problem?
Old 05-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Yes other people have had similar problems with grinding. How many miles? The standard powertrain warranty is 5 years / 60k miles. If you're concerned, I would take it to a dealer and get the problem recorded if you're under 5/60 or if you have an extended warranty. That way if it becomes a much larger issue later on, you'll have a paper trail, and you might get some help from Toyota on the repair costs.