Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Electronics whiz types - can anyone help me figure out how to wire this switch?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Electronics whiz types - can anyone help me figure out how to wire this switch?

I want to wire this 2 way rocker switch to a reversable motor, using my trucks 12V DC.

http://www.amazon.com/Window-Rocker-.../dp/B001PNMBHQ

I can't make heads or tails of the wiring diagram in the above link (wiring diagram appears as one of the alternate product photos).

Can anyone help me figure this out and break down for me which wires need to connect to what terminals? I want the motor to go forward in rocker position 1, and backward in rocker position 2 (motor off in neutral position).

Obviously, I will have + and - power leads from the power supply, + and - power leads to the motor, and then some unknown combination of jumper wires between terminals on the switch, yes?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
I want to wire this 2 way rocker switch to a reversable motor, using my trucks 12V DC.

http://www.amazon.com/Window-Rocker-.../dp/B001PNMBHQ

I can't make heads or tails of the wiring diagram in the above link (wiring diagram appears as one of the alternate product photos).

Can anyone help me figure this out and break down for me which wires need to connect to what terminals? I want the motor to go forward in rocker position 1, and backward in rocker position 2 (motor off in neutral position).

Obviously, I will have + and - power leads from the power supply, + and - power leads to the motor, and then some unknown combination of jumper wires between terminals on the switch, yes?
Since it is a reversible motor, you have to wire the switch so that it will swap the polarity to the motor. I can draw you a schematic when i get to work tomorrow if that would help.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
Average JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to behold

Army: 4ID
Name: Matt
Average JOE's Tacoma Gallery
Found it. I used this for the rear window. Too Easy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyozdgCIcUQ
Old 05-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
Since it is a reversible motor, you have to wire the switch so that it will swap the polarity to the motor. I can draw you a schematic when i get to work tomorrow if that would help.
That would be awesome if you could do that. This, as you have probably gathered, is for the actuator for the rear slider.

Also, do you happen to know if this switch might fit inside the small silver panel immediately below the 4x4 switch if I were to make a cutout for it there? I figure you have looked inside that part of the dash once or twice...

Thanks!!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #5

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average JOE View Post
Found it. I used this for the rear window. Too Easy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyozdgCIcUQ
Yeah, I was trying to figure out how to apply that video to the switch that I have -- but the switch I have has 5 terminals rather than 6 and they are all in one line rather than split along the two sides.

This is like some kind of IQ test that I am failing miserably
Old 05-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
outta curiousity, what are you going to do with said polarity reversable switch?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #7

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
outta curiousity, what are you going to do with said polarity reversable switch?
It's going to control a 12V actuator that serves to power the rear sliding window.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!
Old 05-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Here it is, pins 2 and 4 need to be hooked to ground.
Motor on pins 1 an 5.
+12vdc to pin 3
Old 05-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #10

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
Here it is, pins 2 and 4 need to be hooked to ground.
Motor on pins 1 an 5.
+12vdc to pin 3
Dang, you got it. I've been scratching my head here for like 30 minutes trying to figure it out...I feel dumb!

Thanks man!!

Products Discussed in this Thread