Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Air filter replacement

Old 05-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
edubb is on a distinguished road
edubb's Tacoma Gallery
Air filter replacement

What is the best replacement air filter for 2008 trd?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I like to say OEM but thats just me.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Drop-in filter? AFe Pro Dry-S PN 31-10114

The other filters like TRD, K&N, etc. require periodic oiling to work. Never liked where the oil would be going...
Old 05-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
I've never owned a vehicle that didn't have an oiled K&N air filter in it.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
tommyc is on a distinguished road
Name: tommy
tommyc's Tacoma Gallery
Dude stay oem, there are better mods to spend your money on.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
AFE dry flow if you want a reusable one. Walmart stuff if you just want a cheap replacement.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
techtalk is on a distinguished road
techtalk's Tacoma Gallery
you can get a K&N filter or a TRD filter. Both work great. You can always get a factory one or aftermarket OEM. you will get a little more power out of the TRD and K&N filters. They will cost more money but they're re-usable. the stock ones you throw away
Old 05-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by techtalk View Post
you will get a little more power out of the TRD and K&N filters.
Maybe one horsepower during perfect conditions.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Afe pro dry s ...
Old 05-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
For best filtering, you cant beat the OEM. For best flow, Nothing. The difference between the OEM filter and NO filter at all, is about 1.5 hp. So, if your thinking about changing the filter for a more "performance" filter, foget it.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Would all these suggestions apply to a first gen as well?

I had K&Ns for my motorcycles. Didn't mind cleaning and oiling them once and a while. Not sure if I want to worry about it on a car though. How often do you have to clean and re-oil K&Ns for Tacos?
Old 06-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #13
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc View Post
Dude stay oem, there are better mods to spend your money on.
incorrect. I found the Prodry was one of the best bang for buck upgrades you can buy. I also studied how filters are made and what their filtering values are, and theres no way I would use the stock fibrous-like POS ever again
Old 06-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
incorrect. I found the Prodry was one of the best bang for buck upgrades you can buy. I also studied how filters are made and what their filtering values are, and theres no way I would use the stock fibrous-like POS ever again
The best oil samples I have had, have been when using the OEM filter. Not sure why you think they are bad......
Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #15
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
damn... who to believe... idk
Old 06-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Well dont believe me because Im an idiot lol
Im not calling you an idiot, just wondering where you get your info. I dont think I could count how many filters I have tested, and everytime I have used the OEM filter, my samples came back with less silica levels in the oil. Even Fram OEM replacements have filtered MUCH better than the cleanable "High Flow" filters. The only way to get a higher flow, and more filtering, is to make the filter larger. MUCH larger. To add, given the filter size, you wont see much (if any) gains in mpg, or performance even if you ran no filter.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #18
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Im not calling you an idiot, just wondering where you get your info. I dont think I could count how many filters I have tested, and everytime I have used the OEM filter, my samples came back with less silica levels in the oil. Even Fram OEM replacements have filtered MUCH better than the cleanable "High Flow" filters. The only way to get a higher flow, and more filtering, is to make the filter larger. MUCH larger. To add, given the filter size, you wont see much (if any) gains in mpg, or performance even if you ran no filter.
oh I know, I ment really, sometimes Im an idiot lol
But not, we just did a section on filtering air for furnaces. The material used in normal pleated filters was apparently not as good as higher end filters (im guessing AFE/K&N etc). I remember because I got the answer wrong on the pre-test because I figured exactly what your saying and was wrong. If you did tests though, Im going to mention that because nothing beats hands on
Old 06-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #19

Quote:
oh I know, I ment really, sometimes Im an idiot lol
But not, we just did a section on filtering air for furnaces. The material used in normal pleated filters was apparently not as good as higher end filters (im guessing AFE/K&N etc). I remember because I got the answer wrong on the pre-test because I figured exactly what your saying and was wrong. If you did tests though, Im going to mention that because nothing beats hands on
Filters for Furnaces are much different. A K&N filter for an auto aplication is a single layer gauze filter. It relies on the oil to capture the dirt particles. Being as it has shallow pleats, and a porous structure, its filtering ability for fine dirt particles is marginal. The OEM filter has a more dense filter media, and much deeper pleats. The surface area of the media is huge. This gives good air flow, and the media density give superior filtration.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #20

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
well. im sold.