LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Time to start engine

Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
mlspence is on a distinguished road
mlspence's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Time to start engine

This is my first Toyota so I don't know if this is normal or not. I notice that I must crank the starter on my 2007 Tacoma with 4.0 V6 much longer than I did on my Ford and Chevy full-sized V8 trucks. It hasn't caused any problems other than I still ocassionally stop cranking before it starts running. Also, unless I overlooked it, I don't seem to have a cargo light to light the truck bed? Do they not put them on the fully loaded Tacoma's anymore? I haven't had it on the road but my drive to work and back is getting me 18-19 mph which is what was presented on the sticker (18-21). It has about 3200 miles on it with a tonneau cover. Although, I didn't see any change in mileage, as some said I would, once I added the tonneau.

On another point, I've been really impressed with the traction! I could not pull my small fishing boat out of the water with my Ford and Chevy full size without spinning or putting it in 4x4. This truck does it with no problem in 2 wheel drive! I guess it may be the limited slip but it is really impressive. If I have known it was going to be this sure-footed, I might have gone with a 4x2 and got a little more gas mileage. But overall, I've been really pleased with it.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Morpheus
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you are happy with the truck.

I cant understand why those stupid bastards did not put a bed light on a fully loaded truck. It ticks me off evertime I think of it. I'm sure they saved it for the 2008 model year.

Re. extended cranking, speak to your dealership. Your timing may be retarded like Georgie.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
Thanks. maybe I'll check with the dealership on the starting. don't want them to mess up the gas mileage though.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
I heard it mentioned that they can reflash your computer to fix your crank time, I actually have the same issue but am learning to live with it, but I will ask about it too. I have a 4x2 and am getting the same MPG as you, actually I'm averaging 17.8 and about the same amount of miles.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
Spyder327 is on a distinguished road

Spyder327's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Spyder327
For the most part it is normal for the newer tacomas to take a little longer when starting up...

unless it takes a REALLY long time, i wouldn't be concerned.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
coreyredken is on a distinguished road

coreyredken's Tacoma Gallery
When i first bought my truck.. I noticed it taking a tad longer to start. but now i never notice it . I don't even pay it any attention anymore ... No big deal.. Everything can't be the same.. if it was... how boring would that be? lol
Old 05-29-2007, 05:16 AM   #7
Thanks for all of the responses. I'll probably just get used to it taking slightly longer to start. Apparently, it is fairly common and doesn't seem to hurt anything. I hate to let the dealership mess with it. That was a primary reason for going Toyota - hoping to be able to stay away from the service shop.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
Cavender76 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: First Class Boatswains Mate
Name: Clint Cavender
Cavender76's Tacoma Gallery
Trouble Starting

I have the same trouble takes about three sec to start my truck. The dealership says they can fix it tuesday I will post then the results.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Def. longer to start than my Ford.Another guy mentioned pausing for a sec. or two after you turn the key on before you crank it.That seems to help.After I had the truck a few mos. it became a non-issue.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTacoma View Post
Holy Thread Revival Batman!
Thats a good thing. It shows the search feature is still working
Old 11-28-2009, 06:47 AM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
lies!!!!!