Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Stuck ARB locker..

Old 05-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
sandman29306 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
sandman29306's Tacoma Gallery
Stuck ARB locker..

First time starting a thread, but search came up empty.

Went offroading in my 2001 prerunner with lift and ARB rear locker for a couple hours. Got back on pavement and locker is stuck engaged. Been that way for two days. I talked to ARB technical and disconnected the airline. No change. Advisor said that to unlock it shouldn't require an ARB installer, just a good shop.

The shop has to pull it out. Its my DD and I really don't want a non-authorized shop troubleshooting it. I asked them to reinstall my stock equipment. It has O ring issues anyway. I am gonna take the unit to authoorized dealer and take care of both issues at once.

Would anyone do something different? Thanks for any input guys.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Hey man. Thanks for the reply. No dryer on the line. Never even heard of one. Is this something that ARB sells? Im hoping its something simple. Guess I gotta pick a shop to go to now.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Or you gould go to a dry system a 20oz C02 tank will lock and un lock an ARB about 150 to 200 times before a refill.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Just got home from the shop. Guy said there was plastic in the gears causing it to not unlock but that the gears didn't look damaged and should be rather easy to rebuild. I have been looking at exploded diagrams but need to keep looking. Looking at the unit, I don't see anything obviously damaged or torn up, but I may not know what to look for.

I'm just glad I kept my stock open diff and picked it up on the way. I'll let you know how the rebuild goes. Gonna shoot an email to corporate ARB and see if they have a recommended shop around here. Hell I might ship it to them and let the pros rebuild it / re-O ring it.

Thanks for the help. That CO2 deal sounds sweet.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman29306 View Post
Just got home from the shop. Guy said there was plastic in the gears causing it to not unlock but that the gears didn't look damaged and should be rather easy to rebuild. I have been looking at exploded diagrams but need to keep looking. Looking at the unit, I don't see anything obviously damaged or torn up, but I may not know what to look for.

I'm just glad I kept my stock open diff and picked it up on the way. I'll let you know how the rebuild goes. Gonna shoot an email to corporate ARB and see if they have a recommended shop around here. Hell I might ship it to them and let the pros rebuild it / re-O ring it.

Where did plastic come from ?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
Old thread update.

I sent the locker back to ARB Technical. Repair bill was $207 and included a B type clutch gear, B type piston, B type bonded seal, a screw, 8 mm locking tab, and a bearing. Price above included labor and shipping from WA to north GA.

I got 100K out of this unit before it failed on me. Guess I can't complain.

Now to find a decent shop in the southeast to reinstall it. Having a pure open diff sucks. Spinning tires in the front yard is kinda embarrassing.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I think this is the first ARB problem I ever heard of... and to re-ask what BlueT asked... where did the plastic come from?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old thread update.

I sent the locker back to ARB Technical. Repair bill was $207 and included a B type clutch gear, B type piston, B type bonded seal, a screw, 8 mm locking tab, and a bearing. Price above included labor and shipping from WA to north GA.

I got 100K out of this unit before it failed on me. Guess I can't complain.

Now to find a decent shop in the southeast to reinstall it. Having a pure open diff sucks. Spinning tires in the front yard is kinda embarrassing.
did you u use all the time ???
Old 10-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
David K and BlueT, I have no idea about the plastic and hate to sound ignorant amongst you more educated technical chaps, but that's the only answer I got for ya. I should have gotten it from the shop that swappped it out or at least snap a pic.

And to Manwithoutaplan I didn't use it all the time, about twice a month in the afternoons trail riding. Nothing extreme. I was alsolutely sure to make all driveline changes w no movement. It is what it is.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #10
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

This actually happens quite often, we get this sometime where I work. They are in the process, maybe even done and R&D'ing the new design which does not use plastic IIRC from what I heard.