1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Torn CV boot

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by gopens48, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Jun 6, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    gopens48

gopens48 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5
    I was washing my truck over the weekend and noticed a whole shit ton of grease sprayed all over under the passenger side. Although i haven't been able to find the tear in the boot, i'm fairly certain that this is what has to be the problem. I just have a couple of questions now. Will i be doing any more damage by still driving my truck before i replace it? Also, i've read on here that it is much easier to replace the axle than it is to replace the boot, is this accurate? If i need to replace the axle, what brand would be recommened, or does anyone know where to find them for a decent price?

2. Jun 6, 2011 at 9:23 AM
    ilove_taco_ma

ilove_taco_ma Well-Known Member

Member:
    fresno, california
    Vehicle:
    95 tacoma 4wd LX
    nothing, all stock expect got a OE replacement air filter K&N.
    yeah most likely the passenger side cv will be blown first and you'll find alot of grease on the frame and around the tire and other places. no you'll be fine driving it on pavement road, if on dirt roads, it will built up dirts and will go bad real soon. beside dirt road and on pavement road you should be fine. i drove my truck for 2 months after the cv boot was torn and it was fine before i change it. yes changint the whole axle will be easier than replacing the boot. unless you have time and patient to do it. brands? well i got from napa forgot the brand.

3. Jun 6, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    If you want to do it right, replacing would be the easier way. You can do a half boot but it's a shitty fix, usually doesn't work for long.

I get my replacements from Kragen as new. I also have to go through them and replace all the band clamps, they are all shit from the factory.

4. Jun 6, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    allpro

allpro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    All Kinds Of Toyotas!!!
    It is easier, and cleaner, to replace the entire half shaft. However, we've found that only a factory replacement from Toyota is worth putting in. Aftermarket offerings do not provide as much travel.

We offer high angle CV boots that won't wear as fast since the fins are more rounded so they don't rub together as much, especially on lifted trucks, and we use a special hose clamp instead of the crimp clamp from the factory.

5. Jun 6, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    allpro

allpro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    All Kinds Of Toyotas!!!
    We've had to replace more outers than inners, but it's not always due to wear. As for the inners we do have stock replacements available, but the trick is just stretching them out slightly and reclamping them farther down the shaft so that the fins don't rub together as much.

6. Jun 6, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    X2

My inner boots are completely done but the outers are fine. I'm putting on high angle Porsche 930 inner and outer cv boots on my truck.

7. Jun 6, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    gopens48

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5
    Thanks for the help everyone. I guess i'll be heading to the dealership today to see how much a new half shaft will cost me. One more question, is there any way i can improve the cv angles, aside from lowering my coils a little? I already have a diff drop installed, so i'm guessing i'm just going to have to lower them, but wanted to double check.

8. Jun 6, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    gopens48

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5

Okay, i'm looking at Rockauto and think i found what i need. I believe its part number 806324. Would anyone mind checking this just to double check that i have the correct part? Just dont want to order the wrong thing.
    Yeah, i know i've been needing to lower my coils a little, i believe last time i measure i was at about 24", just didnt know if there was another way besides lowering. Thanks again for the help.

9. Jun 6, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!

I had this same issue, I lowered my ToyTec ULK two turns to get the clearance just right.

I didn't realize this untill I did a CV axle replacment, spent a week in Death Valley and tore them all to crap.

10. Jun 6, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    kmok

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    If you don't want to lower the coils high angle cv boots will be your best option. It will probably be cheaper than buying new cv axles as well.

11. Jun 23, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    05tacoSPORT

05tacoSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Geared and Locked
    I want the old shaft. I really need a spare

12. Jun 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    kmok

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Get autozone reman axles. They're like $50 after you bring the core back. It's not too hard to replace the axles yourself. The high angle boots didn't work out so well by the way lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top