Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Torn CV boot

Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
gopens48 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
gopens48's Tacoma Gallery
Torn CV boot

I was washing my truck over the weekend and noticed a whole shit ton of grease sprayed all over under the passenger side. Although i haven't been able to find the tear in the boot, i'm fairly certain that this is what has to be the problem. I just have a couple of questions now. Will i be doing any more damage by still driving my truck before i replace it? Also, i've read on here that it is much easier to replace the axle than it is to replace the boot, is this accurate? If i need to replace the axle, what brand would be recommened, or does anyone know where to find them for a decent price?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
yeah most likely the passenger side cv will be blown first and you'll find alot of grease on the frame and around the tire and other places. no you'll be fine driving it on pavement road, if on dirt roads, it will built up dirts and will go bad real soon. beside dirt road and on pavement road you should be fine. i drove my truck for 2 months after the cv boot was torn and it was fine before i change it. yes changint the whole axle will be easier than replacing the boot. unless you have time and patient to do it. brands? well i got from napa forgot the brand.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to do it right, replacing would be the easier way. You can do a half boot but it's a shitty fix, usually doesn't work for long.

I get my replacements from Kragen as new. I also have to go through them and replace all the band clamps, they are all shit from the factory.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
allpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

allpro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens48 View Post
I was washing my truck over the weekend and noticed a whole shit ton of grease sprayed all over under the passenger side. Although i haven't been able to find the tear in the boot, i'm fairly certain that this is what has to be the problem. I just have a couple of questions now. Will i be doing any more damage by still driving my truck before i replace it? Also, i've read on here that it is much easier to replace the axle than it is to replace the boot, is this accurate? If i need to replace the axle, what brand would be recommened, or does anyone know where to find them for a decent price?
It is easier, and cleaner, to replace the entire half shaft. However, we've found that only a factory replacement from Toyota is worth putting in. Aftermarket offerings do not provide as much travel.

We offer high angle CV boots that won't wear as fast since the fins are more rounded so they don't rub together as much, especially on lifted trucks, and we use a special hose clamp instead of the crimp clamp from the factory.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
allpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

allpro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
The CV boots on your site only describe boots for the outer part of the half shaft. Usually it's the inner boot that tears first, will these boots fit both sides?
We've had to replace more outers than inners, but it's not always due to wear. As for the inners we do have stock replacements available, but the trick is just stretching them out slightly and reclamping them farther down the shaft so that the fins don't rub together as much.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The CV boots on your site only describe boots for the outer part of the half shaft. Usually it's the inner boot that tears first, will these boots fit both sides?
X2

My inner boots are completely done but the outers are fine. I'm putting on high angle Porsche 930 inner and outer cv boots on my truck.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Thanks for the help everyone. I guess i'll be heading to the dealership today to see how much a new half shaft will cost me. One more question, is there any way i can improve the cv angles, aside from lowering my coils a little? I already have a diff drop installed, so i'm guessing i'm just going to have to lower them, but wanted to double check.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Quote:
Rockauto sells halfshafts alot cheaper than the stealership, alot of people run those with no issues. The only way to improve the angles is to lower your coils more. For a 3" lift, you want to be about 23" from center of hub to fender, any more and you will run the risk of fins touching and also you will lose downtravel.

Okay, i'm looking at Rockauto and think i found what i need. I believe its part number 806324. Would anyone mind checking this just to double check that i have the correct part? Just dont want to order the wrong thing.
Yeah, i know i've been needing to lower my coils a little, i believe last time i measure i was at about 24", just didnt know if there was another way besides lowering. Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the help everyone. I guess i'll be heading to the dealership today to see how much a new half shaft will cost me. One more question, is there any way i can improve the cv angles, aside from lowering my coils a little? I already have a diff drop installed, so i'm guessing i'm just going to have to lower them, but wanted to double check.

I had this same issue, I lowered my ToyTec ULK two turns to get the clearance just right.

I didn't realize this untill I did a CV axle replacment, spent a week in Death Valley and tore them all to crap.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay, i'm looking at Rockauto and think i found what i need. I believe its part number 806324. Would anyone mind checking this just to double check that i have the correct part? Just dont want to order the wrong thing.
Yeah, i know i've been needing to lower my coils a little, i believe last time i measure i was at about 24", just didnt know if there was another way besides lowering. Thanks again for the help.
If you don't want to lower the coils high angle cv boots will be your best option. It will probably be cheaper than buying new cv axles as well.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
05tacoSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I want the old shaft. I really need a spare
Old 06-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I have 3 of my four boots completely torn, one is split down the middle and the other two it's to the point where you can see the Cv. After about 40k still no problems. When I was installing my struts the cv joint fell apart and I just shoved it back in there, no problems yet. They are as dry as dry can be.

I am heading to Obx next week and don't want to have them blow on the trip, I am finally going to cave in and have them replaced next Tuesday.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Get autozone reman axles. They're like $50 after you bring the core back. It's not too hard to replace the axles yourself. The high angle boots didn't work out so well by the way lol.