1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacement U Joint Orientation

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by afd23a, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2011 at 8:34 PM
    afd23a

afd23a [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I've got a bad U joint at the axle end of my driveshaft. I have a 2wd so the factory U joints are sealed. From what I've seen, many of the replacement joints have zerks on them. Some places sell the sealed joints too, but I figured I'd go with greasable ones. Most of the greasable ones have zerks on the spider. I've only found one or two that has the zerk on one of the end caps.

Assuming I replace them with the type that has the zerk on the cross like shown below, is there a rule of thumb as to which way to position the spider in relation to the driveshaft? Does the zerk face the driveshaft or the yoke? Am I going to need to have the driveshaft rebalanced after doing this? I plan on replacing all 3 joints at the same time so I don't have to do this again in a few months.

[​IMG]

2. Jun 10, 2011 at 8:34 AM
    afd23a

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I decided to have a driveshaft shop do the work. Found a shop that is a dealer for Spicer and dropped my driveshaft off this morning for him to replace all three U joints with greasable ones and check the balance.

For anyone who needs to replace their U joints:
    From what I've gathered the +05 driveshafts use Spicer 1330 series joints, p/n 5-213x (greasable). Tom Woods also sells his own "Gold Seal" U joints which have a really good warranty and should be comparable in quality to Spicer joints. I was considering buying the Tom Woods joints but needed to get this done quick so I opted for the Spicers at the local shop. I can say the folks at Tom Woods were very helpful in answering my questions even though I did not end up buying their product. http://www.4xshaft.com/

3. Jun 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    Nice man, thanks for the info

4. Jun 10, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Doesn't matter which way they go. Just mark the yokes and ends, so you can keep it lined up. Get one 180 degrees out, and it will vibrate.

5. Jun 10, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    afd23a

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Got it back this afternoon, installed, test drove and so far so good. The guy didn't do the balance as he said it didn't need it. Somewhere along the way I had read or heard that even just replacing one of the joints could lead to it needing to be rebalanced. Can't remember where though.

Products Discussed in

To Top