1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how do i replace a rear differential pinion seal

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by dirty TaTer, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Jun 9, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    dirty TaTer

dirty TaTer [OP] Ruts are the enemy

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pasco Florida
    Vehicle:
    96 2.7 3rz taco
    Doorman OEM rear leaf packs, dynomax thrush glasspack, and cool milk crates in the back B)
    I've never done this before but I dont think it should be that hard.
    I changed the gear oil a little more than a month ago and i wash the underside of the truck everytime it goes off road. i noticed the oil on the drive this morning and want to fix it ASAP. how long do you think this could take? I start a new job tomorrow and will be driving almost 70 miles per day.

2. Jun 9, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
  3. Jun 10, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    dirty TaTer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pasco Florida
    Vehicle:
    96 2.7 3rz taco
    Doorman OEM rear leaf packs, dynomax thrush glasspack, and cool milk crates in the back B)
    Do you think Advanced would have an SST tool for me to borrow?
    What is an SST tool exactly?
    Is there any thing i can use as a substitute for an SST tool?

4. Jun 10, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    SST means Special Service Tool.
    You can look up the SST in google and normally find a vendor that sells it. There is almost always a way to substitute a Toyota SST with one you can typically rent from an autoparts store. If I were you I would just look up the SST and see if it's something silly like a puller or slide hammer or something.

That being said...differentials are a giant pain in the ass. It might be simpler just to pull the third member and take it to a differential shop. Just changing the pinion seal shouldn't be too much money.

5. Jun 10, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    I replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. Granted this is on a 2nd gen but it should be very similar.

It's an easy job if you have the right tools. Thankfully I had just bought an air compressor and an impact wrench; which I had to use to get the driveshaft unbolted from the flange and to remove the pinion nut. Suckers were on very tight and the pinion nut is staked. Plus with the impact wrench I didn't have to worry about trying to keep the flange/wheels from rotating with the nut.

I used a 6'' gear puller to pull the flange off. From that point you have to pry the seal out, give the new seal a thin coat of high temp grease, and reseat the new seal. You're going to need something the approximate diameter of the seal in order to seat it. It's a tight fit and you gotta be careful not to damage the seal.

I'd recommend you pick up a Hayne's repair manual. It goes through repairs like this in simple steps with pictures. Mine is covered in grease and is like a Bible for the garage.

I'd also highly recommend you check that your rear differential breather is not clogged. That is likely the cause of the leak (if it can't breath through the breather, it will find the next easiest place to vent hot air and that's going to be the pinion seal.

EB Group likes this.
  6. Jun 11, 2011 at 5:32 AM
    dirty TaTer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pasco Florida
    Vehicle:
    96 2.7 3rz taco
    Dude, thanks for the info! I just hate the thought of someone working on my truck, let alone getting payed to do it

Products Discussed in

To Top