1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Screeech

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by IronMike, May 27, 2007.

1. May 27, 2007 at 9:32 AM
    IronMike

IronMike [OP] Member

Member:
    Driving my brand new DC Auto V6 down the freeway at about 80mph when I start to hear a very short but loud screech come from what sounds like under the hood.

It comes and goes I cant get it to reproduce when I want I took a look and cant see a thing.

Anybody else have it?

2. May 27, 2007 at 10:27 AM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    that is really unusual, when all else fails you still have warranty. back to the dealer it goes. i drive 100+ and i don't hear that kind of noise. here's my two cents check out recall.org site and see what it says about your particular taco. i had to send mine's back to the dealer due to the emergency brake and seat belt hope this info helps

3. May 28, 2007 at 12:06 PM
    x4runner

x4runner Member

Member:
    I have the same exact issue. I picked up my Double Cab V6 Automatic last Saturday. Today for the first time I had it up to 75 mph+ on the freeway and the screeching noise started. The noise seems to come from the center of the dash. After I got off the freeway and back on, it only happened at around 80. While it was screeching, I shifted from D to 4 to see if RPM was a factor and it makes no difference. I also shut down the AC and there is no difference. The noise comes and goes and is fairly loud. I have no warning lights on and everything seems ok.

It sounds almost like a bad electric motor bearing or like 2 pieces of metal resonating.

4. May 28, 2007 at 12:10 PM
    IronMike

IronMike [OP] Member

Member:
    Exactly the same thing I got.

5. May 28, 2007 at 5:01 PM
    x4runner

x4runner Member

Member:
    I had a chance to do some more freeway driving this afternoon. There was about a 15 mph breeze and Northbound (with the wind) there was no noise, even at 75 to 80. Southbound (into the wind) the noise started at 65 to 70 and would come and go. When I hit a wind pocket it would kick in again.

Even though it sounds like a bad bearing on an electric motor, I think now that it must be an air leak. It seems to come from the center bottom of the front windshield.

6. May 28, 2007 at 5:28 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    check around, as i think that there may be, or may have been a windshield tsb issued from toyota. alot of people have had complaints about it. best way to tell if its your windshield, go the speed you were describing, that it was happening at, and kinda push in on your windshield. if it makes the noise stop...definitely take it to your dealer, as it should be under warranty. hope this helps!!

7. May 29, 2007 at 5:17 PM
    x4runner

x4runner Member

Member:
    I took it in for service today. They test drove it with 2 people so one could push on the windshield in various places while the other person drove. They were able to reproduce it at will and had the glass company come in to reseal the windshield. Unfortunately, on the way home I heard the noise again, so another trip to the dealer will be required.

Rather frustrating.

8. May 29, 2007 at 5:29 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    hopefully they will get it straightened out for you soon!!

9. May 29, 2007 at 5:36 PM
    IronMike

IronMike [OP] Member

Member:
    Well at least we know what it is...

10. Jun 1, 2007 at 7:57 PM
    x4runner

x4runner Member

Member:
    After the first failed attempt to repair, the dealer ordered a new Toyota windshield and I returned to have it installed today. So far the sound has not returned. I'm hoping this does it, but will post additional updates if for some reason it does not.

The service manager explained to me that a "windshield reseal" involves removing the window, replacing the rubber seal and then reinstalling the original windshield. This is what they were supposed to do on my first visit, but I suspect that they tried to take a shortcut. Today they did a total windshield replacement, including the glass and the rubber seal.

It doesn't really make sense to me why the windshield reseal on the first visit did not work. I would have expected the sound pitch to change or to at least notice some change or improvement in behavior, but there was no change whatsoever. This is why I suspect that on the 1st visit they tried to reseal it without removing the glass and replacing the rubber.

11. Jun 5, 2007 at 9:31 AM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    Magna Flow stainless cat-back, 3" Toytec Lift, 32" Mickey Thompsons
    I have the same problem. If they are only supposed to reseal the window how did you get a new one. Just wondering if there is anything I should say when I take in my truck because I also have a chip in the window, and it would be nice to fix that problem for free.

12. Jun 7, 2007 at 8:47 PM
    x4runner

x4runner Member

Member:
    Good question on the windshield reid. Replacing the glass was their idea, so I’m not sure what the reasoning was behind it.

Unfortunately, even after my 2 visits I still did not have a fix. The buzzing sound came back under the same exact conditions, 65 mph plus and crosswinds. I took it back for the third time and this time I’ve got what seems to be a solid fix. I’ve done some added research also and some of this information may help others:

There is a tsb for the 2005 Tacoma that describes this exact issue. It is number NV006-07. It reads: “Some customers may experience a wind noise that sounds like a buzz or reed vibration sound in the front windshield area.” It goes on to talk about driving at speeds over 50 with crosswinds to reproduce it. The issue is the rubber lip on the outer windshield trim where it touches the car body on the A pillars and on the front roof line. The tsb tells you how to tape off the seal to confirm that this is the issue. You tape over the rubber seal where it meets the body, not over the rubber where it meets the glass. Only tape the sides and the top. I covered the small channel that the rubber lip tucks into completely with the tape and it made the sound go away. This proved to me that this was the issue. The fix in the tsb is to glue the rubber lip to the body with 3M clear windshield adhesive.

I went back to the dealer and asked about this tsb. They told me that they have had poor success with gluing this rubber lip. They find that the better fix is to replace the outer rubber window trim seal. Since mine still made the noise after 2 attempts to fix it they did some more investigating and found that a new part was introduced in January of this year. They did another reseal using this new part for the rubber seal and it seems to have resolved the issues. The new trim seal that’s on there now is a lot different than the original. The rubber is more rigid and along each A pillar there is a raised lip that I’m guessing has something to do with decreasing wind noise. That’s a total guess on my part, but wind noise in general seems to be slightly reduced and the buzzing sound is gone (forever I hope).

So, in summary, although there is a 2005 model year tsb that describes this exact issue, I would not recommend asking them to glue the seal since I was told they had bad luck with this and also I would be concerned about gluing the rubber to the painted surface. I recommend that you try to get a reseal done and be sure they replace the outer rubber trim with the updated part. If I can get my hands on the part number for the seal they used I’ll pass it along. They were backlogged so they are supposed to mail me the service receipt.

13. Jun 8, 2007 at 8:45 AM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    Magna Flow stainless cat-back, 3" Toytec Lift, 32" Mickey Thompsons
    Thanks for the help

14. Jun 10, 2007 at 6:51 PM
    olgidni04

olgidni04 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Arizona
    I had this happen also. I tightened the antenna and it stopped!

15. Jun 10, 2007 at 7:12 PM
    x4runner

x4runner Member

Member:
    I thought of that too, but it turned out not to be the antenna in my case. I removed my antenna to try to pinpoint the issue when the buzz sound was happening. It had no impact.

Products Discussed in

To Top