Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Highbeams don't always work.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
tacowade is on a distinguished road

Name: Wade
tacowade's Tacoma Gallery
Highbeams don't always work.

I have been having troubles with my headlights working properly. The low beams always work but when I put lever into highbeam position the headlights go out. If I try about 5 or 6 times then they will come on. The highbeams always come on when I pull back the lever back. Is the switch at fault and if so does it come apart to clean the electrical contacts?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Jerry Bear has a spectacular aura aboutJerry Bear has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jerry
Jerry Bear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacowade View Post
I have been having troubles with my headlights working properly. The low beams always work but when I put lever into highbeam position the headlights go out. If I try about 5 or 6 times then they will come on. The highbeams always come on when I pull back the lever back. Is the switch at fault and if so does it come apart to clean the electrical contacts?
Sounds like the switch to me.

I don't know if it comes apart.

Try spraying a bunch of contact cleaner into the switch and exercise the hell out of it. If that doesn't work, replace the switch.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
my wife has that problem...sub'd
Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
The older Toyota trucks had a relay feeding battery positive power to the headlights. The ground side of the headlights was switched by the dimmer switch. Typically, the dimmer switch contacts get pitted and stop working. I don't know if a first gen Taco is the same or not. I know the 2nd gen trucks are different.

Here's a link to check out:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...eadlight_Combo

Might not help you if your switch is sealed up.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
I beleive the OP has a 1995 tacoma...
Old 12-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
ever get this resolved?
i just started getting the same problem with my 95.5