1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket Fog Lights in OEM Sockets

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by MotoXFreeStyle61, May 30, 2007.

1. Jun 11, 2007 at 5:02 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Excellent Job! I will definitely reference this once I get a chance to purchase some fog lights! :D

2. Jun 11, 2007 at 5:31 AM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    I got an email from blinglights... They actually do offer these in amber and clear now... all from one kit.

http://blinglights.com/shopbling/store/catalog/bl4300k_flash.swf
    (Click over the different colors to see the "halo effect"

I figure I might get these in amber or white, and tie the halo to the parking lights or driving lights, and then have it shut off when the fog light switch is activated.

3. Jun 15, 2007 at 9:18 AM
    Johnz

Johnz Active Member

Member:
    Frankfort, KY
    Vehicle:
    '07 Access Cab 2 WhDr - SR5 - Impulse R
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau Hitch WeatherTech Matts Pop N' Lock Pioneer Deck/HD/Blue Tooth/USB
    I bought the 2 wheel drive extended cab with the SR5 package. This truck did not have the option for the fog lights. Can I use this kit to install them or is there something about this model that I cannot install these?

Thanks for the help

4. Jun 15, 2007 at 11:59 AM
    bigpat728

bigpat728 Member

Member:
    Awesome wright up. i will be using it.

5. Jun 15, 2007 at 1:21 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    I have the same truck, and yes you can install them.

6. Jul 20, 2007 at 5:03 PM
    novella

novella Member

Member:
    I have followed your Fog Light installation with much interest because I ordered a 2007 Tacoma, X-Cab, 4X4, Automatic transmission with convenience Package #1 includes power windows/door locks/outside mirrors, remote keyless entry system, cruise control and sliding rear window with privacy glass (CP). I found factory Fog Lights at the Advance store which are like the stock lights for $190. These plug right into the black plugs in the front bumpers. MY truck was factory wired for the fog lights both in the bumpers and in the dash. This afternoon I ordered a fog light switch from http://www.toyota-parts-dealer.com/ for $45 including shipping. I am sure those of you that are more mechanically inclined than I am will enjoy installing the lights as described above but I chose a simple installation and the above fit like a glove and look exactly like a factory job. When I get the switch and install it I will report on the results.

7. Jul 21, 2007 at 1:14 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Where did you find the lights?

8. Jul 21, 2007 at 2:01 PM
    jmarquez

jmarquez Member

Member:
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Hey! Nice write up. How much did you spend on everything?

9. Jul 23, 2007 at 2:27 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Your's was factory wired for fog lights?

Anyone shed some light on this?

10. Jul 24, 2007 at 8:56 AM
    novella

novella Member

Member:
    My truck is a 2007 Tacoma access cab 4X4 V6. The only option I have is the convenience package which includes power windows/door locks/mirrors, remote keyless entry, cruise control, sliding rear window with privacy glass. I ordered a set of fog lights from Advance Store, about $190 for the two lights. After removing the factory plugs the lights I bought plugged in just like the factory lights. I had crawled in under a Tacoma with factory installed fog lights to look. I had seen a coiled wire with plug taped under the fender well of my truck This factory installed wiring harness had a plug on the end exactly like the one on the factory installed fog lights on the truck I had looked at. The plug on this "factory wiring kit" plugged into the fog lights I had just installed. My next search was for a factory switch. I ordered one from eBay ($18.95) and when it arrived I found it was for a older model truck. I went to my local dealer and ask if a stock switch was available for the fog lights. He told me no but after I insisted he looked at his Tacoma parts list he found one and I ask for the stock number. The Toyota stock number is 84160 04010, my local dealer sells this switch for $54.95. I looked on line and found a on line listing for Toyota Parts. Address is http://www.toyota-parts-dealer.com/ I plugged in the part number and found the switch available for $35.48 plus approximately $10. No sales tax since it is coming from Virginia to Tennessee. Total time for installing the fog lights was about 10 -15 minutes. I removed one of the blanks on the dash and the wiring is there for the switch I ordered. I anticipate a 10 minuts installation for this switch. I am not very mechanically inclined so the route I chose works better for me.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Jul 25, 2007 at 8:44 AM
    novella

novella Member

Member:
    One more thing I will add to the posting I have made about the fog lights I installed on my truck and the switch I am going to install when it arrives. I looked at the www.toyotausa.com and called the technical support number shown on that web site. The person I talked to told me that if my truck did not come with factory installed fog lights it was not wired for them. If I added fog lights to my truck my warrenty would be canceled. I next called two dealers and both told me the same thing about the wireing and warrenty. I wanted to get fog lights installed bad enough that I decided to continue my search. As I mentioned before I found them at a Advance Store and while the lens might not be a exact copy otherwise they look the same and installed the same way as the factory lights did. When I was looking at a Tacoma that had factory installed fog lights I noticed the wire that attached them. I also noticed the truck had a switch on the dash that according to my book was for the fog lights. I looked under my trucks fender wells while I was removing the plugs and installing the fog lights and saw a coiled wire under the fender well, one on each side. I took this lose and to my amazement the plug was exactly like the one I had seen on the factory installation. They plugged right into the plug on the fog lights I had just installed. Next when I removed the plug on the dash which was where the book shows a fog light switch there is a plug which according to a Toyota mechanic is for the fog lights. He suggested I get a 2007 factory switch and I could tell which wire went to the switch and plug it in. He said I might need to put in a fuse. While I was disappointed in the "service" I have received for the two Toyota dealers I have talked to as well as the factory technician I am glad I continued my search and found the lights and switch. As a matter of interest I think many of the prices on the web site http://www.toyota-parts-dealer.com/ are much more reasonable than the prices I was given at both dealerships. For example the local dealer wanted $54.95 plus tax ($5.36) while the on line store offers the same switch for $35.48 plus shipping. It seems to me that Toyota is cutting their own throat by not offering individual items as a option and by allowing their dealers to price gouge individuals who have bought their vehicles. My total cost in parts is about $235. For factory fog lights and switch from a dealer in Richmond, VA I was quoted $354 for the factory fog lights and $45 for the factory switch, a total of $399. Both local dealers in Tennessee told me the fog lights were not available from Toyota. The dealer in my home town said he had many customers ever day wanting to install fog lights and he told them it was impossible. If anyone has any questions I might be able to answer please just email me and I will try to answer ASAP.

12. Jul 25, 2007 at 8:55 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Are you talking about Advanced Auto Parts?

13. Jul 25, 2007 at 9:36 AM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Can anyone else confirm the wiring harnesses for the factory fog lights are present on models other than those that came with OEM fog lights!?

14. Jul 25, 2007 at 11:30 AM
    novella

novella Member

Member:
    Yes I meant Advance Auto Parts Store. As I said in my earlier report the 2007 Tacoma I bought was prewired for the fog lights. I would think if you looked under the fender wells you will find as I did that the wires are attached to the underside of this fender. Another plus for the fog lights I bought is the plug is ready on the back of the lights and no wiring was required.

15. Jul 25, 2007 at 4:33 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I got your email - Thanks!

16. Jul 27, 2007 at 6:58 AM
    novella

novella Member

Member:
    Yesterday while looking at the different options available for a Tacoma I learned that option packages appear to be put together differently for different areas. Just for fun I plugged in different zip codes and learned for example if I had bought my truck from a dealer in Kingsport, where I live, in order to get option package A I would have gotten the following:

Details for Option A - $2,110

- Towing package (TO)
    - 50 state emissions (FE)
    - Convenience Package #1 includes power windows/door locks/outside mirrors, remote keyless entry system, cruise control and sliding rear window with privacy glass (CP)

I purchased my truck from a dealer in Johnson City, about twenty miles from my home, he had gotten the truck I bought on an exchange from a dealer in Knoxville about 90 miles from Johnson City, and it came with a different version of Option A which did not include the Towing package which reduced the price of this option several hundred dollars. I think Toyota is doing it's customers a injustice by not offering options (fog lights) individually rather than as a package. Apparently the Knoxville dealer orders trucks like the one I wanted because of customers demand. The dealer in Kingsport told me the truck I wanted was not available and that they could not order it. One thing I could not determine was which model Tacoma, or if all Tacoma's, came prewired for the fog lights. I suspect they do all come prewired because I cannot imagine the problems involved in trying to use different wiring packages on trucks as the come down the assembly line. I checked to see if Toyota had a technical web site trying to find the answer and they do, www.techinfo.toyota.com , but it costs $10 a day to use this site. Also my Kingsport dealer told me that the Tacoma does not come prewired for fog lights, the dealer I bought my truck from told me he did not know if it did or not. I did not look under a new Tacoma's without fog lights at either dealership.

17. Jul 27, 2007 at 8:32 AM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
  18. Jul 27, 2007 at 12:25 PM
    novella

novella Member

Member:
    My fog light switch arrived today. It took me longer to get the tab off than it did to install the switch. Once the wiring harness was plugged into the switch and the switch installed I started the truck, turned on the headlights and pressed the fog light button and the fog lights were on. Total time for this complete installation was about thrity minutes, no real skills needed and you cannot tell they are not from the factory. Monday I hope to talk to the man who ordered the fog lights for me at Advance Auto Parts and I should be able to pass more info about how to get the fog lights from their store.

19. Jul 27, 2007 at 1:08 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Well that stinks. I wonder how much the harness is for the 4 cylinders... OR if the 4 cylinder fuse box, connection block, ecu, and switches are even able to take the fog lights. Maybe that is why you can't get fog lights on any of the 4 cylinders. :frusty:

20. Jul 27, 2007 at 3:47 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Yes, now I know why I could not get an answer from them on how to get fog lights on my truck.

I love Toyota... but the thinking that someone does not want to spend money on a V6, also won't spend money on fog lights is incredibly flawed...

I don't know about Advance Auto Parts, but the lights with the OEM plugs can be found here...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280136461257

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top