1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket Fog Lights in OEM Sockets

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by MotoXFreeStyle61, May 30, 2007.

1. Jul 30, 2007 at 5:57 AM
    novella

novella Member

Member:
    I promised I would post the information needed to find fog lights like I installed on my Tacoma. I bought them from Advance Auto Parts in Kingsport, TN - phone number 423-246-4290 - person I ask for is Jack Jenkins. He told me that any Advance Store could order them, the supplier is listed on their in store supplier list. The name is listed as Right Choice Action. The fog lights I ordered are for a 2006 Toyota Tacoma but worked for my 2007 Tacoma. If anyone wanted to they can call Jack Jenkins at the store here and he can either help your local store order them or order them for you and have them shipped to you. As a reminder, I ordered the fog light switch for my Tacoma from Mechanicsville Toyota - web address is
    www.toyota-parts-dealer.com/parts.html - for $35 plus shipping, $20 less than the local dealer ask. Any more questions please feel free to email me.

2. Jul 30, 2007 at 9:40 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Thanks for the info! :D

3. Aug 13, 2007 at 4:21 AM
    novella

novella Member

Member:
    I do not think you can tell them from factory fog lights. I posted this picture to show them.[​IMG]

4. Aug 13, 2007 at 4:53 AM
    Johnz

Johnz Active Member

Member:
    Frankfort, KY
    Vehicle:
    '07 Access Cab 2 WhDr - SR5 - Impulse R
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau Hitch WeatherTech Matts Pop N' Lock Pioneer Deck/HD/Blue Tooth/USB
    I think the SR5 package should have included the lights. If anyone finds out where/how much the wiring harness is I am very interested. I may buy the lights and install them without the wiring just for the look of the front end with the lights in the sockets....lol

5. Aug 13, 2007 at 7:07 AM
    novella

novella Member

Member:
  6. Aug 17, 2007 at 10:05 PM
    Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Black
    Alright I got those fog lights installed and running :] I went an alternative route. Let's say the safest path. Basically I didn't do anything with the Tacoma computer system.. i didn't want to mess/touch with it at all. Essentially I just install the fog light as an external device.

BTW: Bling Lights cord are too short & i got a free hat! I had to extend it at least 2-3 feet (local circuit city) to reach the other fog light. The flick switch does not fit in the tacoma like they advertise.

Mine bling light left fog light didn't have any electric feeder/wires.. so i had to manually stick some in :(.

In addition screws and nails.

Overall I knew i had to get the screws/nails but they could had extend the wires. Besides that it was a bargain overall and their GREAT! AmAZING! :] looks much more cooler then the taco's original at 1/7 of the OEM price!

Note: I live in idaho hence i barely use fog lights. I install my switch in that little cubby that no one ever uses. It's pretty sweet spot! pull it and switch! I brought it for the appearance but overall I actually love using them! I can live wthout my headlights just the fog lights! SRY about the pic my fone isn't the best nite camera

DSC00044.jpg
    DSC00043.jpg
    DSC00042.jpg
    DSC00040.jpg
    DSC00039.jpg

7. Aug 24, 2007 at 7:49 AM
    gtimark

gtimark Member

Member:
    Hey Soul!

Thanks for including the pics; I was curious what the bling lights looked like!

Question: when you say you avoided the Toyota ECU and installed the lights as an external device, do you mean you followed the procedure that the OP supplied on page one of this post? Did you simply follow the directions supplied in the Bling light kit? If not, what did you do differently? I really need to get my fogs installed!! :)

8. Aug 24, 2007 at 9:42 AM
    Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Black
    Actually, first page motofreestyle61 went an alternative with a relay adapter.
    I wanted to spend as little as possible so I went without one. It's optional

All i did was skip the relay part... and I went off on my own after a while it's pretty self-explanatory

With the relay adapter you have fog lights that interacts with the toyota ecu system. Hence if you notice you leave your headlights on (whatever settings) pull out the key and open the door it shuts off! Mine doesn't do that now!(the headlight goes off but not the fog lights) Remember! i haven't needed a jump start yet lol!

Let me explain what i did and you can compare it with moto. I believe mines easier but his is pretty simple too. I'll go into more detail the next post time is limited!

I was hoping to spend as little as possible. I brought the fog lights for about 60$ w/ shipping. I almost brought some additional nails/fender/screw
    (Picture 5) I brought 6 but I only needed 4. (i'll explain in the next post)
    The worst part was adding more wires to the line. I did mine at circuit city (didn't have any tools at all) for about 23$ for 3 feet.. should had gone 5 so i could wrap around the engine but oh well. so i pay about 85$ all together list.

Fog lights 60$ w/ shipping
    3 feet extra wire 23$
    2$ nails/screws/fender
    2x Catamount
    electric tape

Note: If you scroll all the way up you notice i mount my switch into that little cubby. I would that get "Multi-Color Halo Fog Light Kit Specs" 5$ more for 7 colors.
    BTW the mounting switch does not fit the dashboard.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005...003QQitemZ130144759234QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Aug 24, 2007 at 10:11 AM
    Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Black
    Please use picture one/two as a reference or doesn't won't make any sense.
    Make sure you read the whole thing first i'll reiterate if needed.

(A) on both side I screw the fog lights not so tightly yet![Using the only black screw that works that came in the kit] and stick it into the bumper to make it's angle properly. Try to get (a) (b) as far as apart possible. Then tighten those suckers! The (C) picture 1 part should go on top/over the (C) part on picture 2. It the black bar that thing(prefer to pic 3). It's easy i wing this installation lol. When both lights are angle when the (C) part one 1 is touching the other then your set. (refer to picture (3/4/5/)

Screw (B)[using the additional screw you brought from lowis or homedepot] onto the bumper I did this with fender inbetween with both sides. bolts help a lot! make sure you get those. (My installation was a lot easier cause I'm was blacking out the headlights at the same time :D) and then i notice that I couldn't screw the back part. Hence I took a catamount and stick it into that both of the (c) holes and tighten it! It's pretty tight! i'm surprise.

For the finishing the touch I wrap the connector wires in electrical tape. HORRIBLE IDEA cause my left fog light wire didn't have any transister in it. I had to put some in manually... so test it! then tape it! those electrical tape was a pain to get off.

Only needed one catamount I got too insecure on one side :eek:.

I want to let you know the headlights are a tab bit small. So when you look at it from a angle/upclose you can see the screws. I hope when it rains the water the water will most likely go through... another reason to wrap it up in electrical tape! :] but 1/7 cheaper then factory and truck bonding time!

throw any other question you got I'll do my best to reply.

mounting.jpg
    catamount.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg

10. Aug 24, 2007 at 11:04 AM
    Johnz

Johnz Active Member

Member:
    Frankfort, KY
    Vehicle:
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau Hitch WeatherTech Matts Pop N' Lock Pioneer Deck/HD/Blue Tooth/USB
    I've heard both bad and good regarding those lights from Bling lights. Does anyone else have any experience with these? I am really wanting to do this with my truck soon before the bad weather comes to the great white north.

Johnz

11. Aug 24, 2007 at 12:27 PM
    Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Black
    The fog lights are good as in lighting wise. It's bright! with the power that's equivalent to OEM. The material is pretty strong as well, but I'm questioning how long it will last as well. I brought the lights mainly for appearance not usages... but now i'm using them every night haha! for 50$ it's a gamble.. 7 days in pretty damn good :].!

12. Aug 26, 2007 at 1:22 PM
    Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Black
    I go all the way with the fog lights since I'm doing rewrapping in the engine. What do you mean exactly by tap? I'm so lost on that step! Thanks

13. Aug 26, 2007 at 6:03 PM
    Johnz

Johnz Active Member

Member:
    Frankfort, KY
    Vehicle:
    This is am awesome write up thank you! I did have one question, I have the 2.7 engine which means I do not have the factory harness, does this kit rely on the harness or is this a stand alone kit with its own wiring as described in your write up? Thanks again.

John Z

14. Aug 26, 2007 at 8:35 PM
    Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Black
    Stand alone kit

It has it's own wiring but it's about 3 feet short to reach the two fog lights. Basically you have to extend the cords.

Another con is the switch doesn't fit [I left mine in that no ever uses *look above for the pics*]

I extend at circuity for 23$ ><! a while ago I had a some free time today and went out did some off roading and notice the wire they gave me were really weak. Went to radio shack brought nice 50FT stereo wires for 4.99$ http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&sr=1&origkw=wires&kw=wires&parentPage=search
    and a crimper/wire stripper for another 7.99$ , replace the OEM plugs they gave me with some gauge one's that stick together! i had a electrical kit so i solder something to together at radio shack for 20$ (I need these for electrical class anyways)

but all you really need is the 4.99 wires and electrical tape / match something to get the wire apart and ur set :].

15. Aug 26, 2007 at 8:37 PM
    Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Black
    Stand alone kit

It has it's own wiring but it's about 3 feet short to reach the two fog lights. Basically you have to extend the cords.

Another con is the switch doesn't fit [I left mine in that no ever uses *look above for the pics*]

I extend at circuity for 23$ ><! a while ago I had a some free time today and went out did some off roading and notice the wire they gave me were really weak. Went to radio shack brought nice 50FT stereo wires for 4.99$ http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&sr=1&origkw=wires&kw=wires&parentPage=search
    and a crimper/wire stripper for another 7.99$ , replace the OEM plugs they gave me with some gauge one's that stick together! i had a electrical kit so i solder it to together. At radio shack for 20$ (I need these for electrical class anyways)

but all you really need is the 4.99 wires and electrical tape / match something to get the wire apart and ur set :].

16. Aug 27, 2007 at 5:05 AM
    Johnz

Johnz Active Member

Member:
    Frankfort, KY
    Vehicle:
    That's good news. I do like the way they look. I'm pretty handy with an iron, so it sounds like an easy project. I notice they advertise the lights with different color halos. Do you order the color you want or is their a control that allows you to switch the colors? I looked at Bling's E-bay site and it sounds to me like there is a control for this.That would be good as I can never decide on the color. I have Impulse Red Pearl so I would probably go white or red to match.

Thanks for the info again.

17. Aug 27, 2007 at 11:45 AM
    Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Black
    Whatever is on Ebay that's on sale. If you planning on installing ur own/factory switch then buy only 1 color light. Cause the extra neon lights would be useless. If ur planning on installing it in that cubby ( which i did and shoulda gotten the multi-color) then go mutli color.

1 Color /light = 3 switch

mutli color / light = adapter with buttons

it's about 5$ differences just depends on how you going to plan it out. I originally thought the switch was going to fit.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Aug 27, 2007 at 12:04 PM
    Johnz

Johnz Active Member

Member:
    Frankfort, KY
    Vehicle:
    If I go with the Multicolor I may be able to hide a switch for the color behind the dash and run the other wire to the switch in the dash. That way I can still change my mind about the colors later. I wonder how they work the light to display the different colored halos? I may call and ask. They must be LEDS??

If I find out I will post it. Thanks Soul.

19. Aug 27, 2007 at 5:40 PM
    Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Black
    I hope you do know it's an adapter not a switch. :] with two buttons.
    [​IMG]

20. Aug 28, 2007 at 5:10 AM
    Johnz

Johnz Active Member

Member:
    Frankfort, KY
    Vehicle:
    I will have to call them. The control looks like it only turns on the LED, I do not see a control for the colors unless its like a toggle. I see your point about the two buttons. I wish they had a manual avail for download with some schematics. I will give them a call tonight and ask. If anyone has the manual maybe it could be posted for d/l?

Thanks.
    John Z

Products Discussed in

To Top