Notices

How to change an 09 oil filter

Old 06-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Shenandoah is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Wildland
Name: Jason
Shenandoah's Tacoma Gallery
How to change an 09 oil filter

Ok I've never seen an oil filter mounted like this before how do I change the filter without getting oil all over everything? Mines a 09 TRD and the filters mounted in the front and essentially above everything is there a drain that it will go down or do I need a funnel beneath it?
Old 06-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
Ok I've never seen an oil filter mounted like this before how do I change the filter without getting oil all over everything? Mines a 09 TRD and the filters mounted in the front and essentially above everything is there a drain that it will go down or do I need a funnel beneath it?
There is a little rubber stopper that comes off underneath the filter holder, I put a small bottle under there. Others put clear hose down to their oil pan. The bottle works great & is easy sneezy.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
REX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
REX_111_MDG_BMET's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...tml#post124480
Old 06-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
also
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ge-thread.html
make sure you don't drain the trans.

oopsie beat me to it.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
also
make sure you don't drain the trans.

oopsie beat me to it.

Yeah thats what I thought when I first saw it, had to do a double take.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I just use a plastic solo cup under that little drainage nipple to collect the oil from the oil filter, works just fine. Remember to hand tighten the new filter back on cause its a PITA to get off sometimes with a tool cause if its location.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Just checked that link thanks guys n gals that looks like it will work great. Also does the gasket on the pan plug need to be replaced every time?
Old 06-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
REX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
REX_111_MDG_BMET's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
Just checked that link thanks guys n gals that looks like it will work great. Also does the gasket on the pan plug need to be replaced every time?
Yes