Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Welding / bending metal question...

Old 06-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
Welding / bending metal question...

Hey Fellas,

so my buddy dropped my motorcycle the other day (he is ok), but he bent the shifter petal, where the rubber piece is to grab on your boot.

Does anybody know if I can just heat it a bunch, then bend it back, will it snap?
Do I have to buy another shifter pedal?

Thoughts, advice, knowledge?

Thanks guys
Old 06-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Its most likely a cast alloy.. I don't really know but that type of item is better to replace
Old 06-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInMaine View Post
Hey Fellas,

so my buddy dropped my motorcycle the other day (he is ok), but he bent the shifter petal, where the rubber piece is to grab on your boot.

Does anybody know if I can just heat it a bunch, then bend it back, will it snap?

Thanks guys
I would definitely try it before buying one. All it could do is not work, in which case you'd have to buy one anyway, but it probably won't snap.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
I'm Not Your F***ing Brother
Paul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paul's TRD's Tacoma Gallery
depends how much it is bent. If it has a pretty good pinch then heating up will be the only option to avoid it stressing out and pretty much breaking off. It won't snap, but it will just start to tear off. we have on occassion bent one back with no heat and it was fine. Do you have a picture? I could for sure tell you.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
If it is not bent bad you can slowly bend it back cold, if it is bent bad heat it up and bend it back. I have bent a couple back cold.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #6
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what it's made of and how bad it's bent. If it's cast you probably won't have much luck.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInMaine View Post
Hey Fellas,

Thanks guys

If it were cast iron, it probably would have snapped when it was layed down.

You can bend cast iron back but it must be cherry red and it has to be done slowly. It may crack regardless though. And DO NOT QUENCH IT. Let it air cool.

If it's just a regular mild steel alloy (probably chrome plated) you can bend it back after heating with relative ease. Do it slowly or it will also crack. And the finish (chrome plating) will probably be destroyed.

If it's aluminum, fat chance. Get a new pedal.