Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Nitrogen in tires....(Warning. Unscientific test inside)

Old 07-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #21
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget the heat. A tire gets hot during driving and the gas is affected by the heat. That constant expansion is a key to using nitrogen over plain room air.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #22
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
But the dealerships are using it as a gimic. It is effective in airplane tires.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #23
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Actually air has 78% nitrogen already so how could adding a measly 18% more nitrogen make a frikkin difference?
Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.SS View Post
Don't forget the heat. A tire gets hot during driving and the gas is affected by the heat. That constant expansion is a key to using nitrogen over plain room air.
N2 expands with temps too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.SS View Post
But the dealerships are using it as a gimic. It is effective in airplane tires.
Aircraft, or race cars. Aircraft use them because N2 is dry, and reduces chance of fire in crash, or a blow out.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #24
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
Rent a plane for an afternoon and test at 40,000 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
When someone has a Tacoma at that altitude, I'll consider a way to check the PSI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
Is that a challange?
Old 07-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #25
Jerry Bear has a spectacular aura aboutJerry Bear has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jerry
Jerry Bear's Tacoma Gallery
My 2010 came with green valve caps. I understand that this means my tires are filled with nitrogen.

The tires on my Taco have lost pressure at a slower rate than any other tires that I recall having, so maybe there is something to filling them with nitrogen.

Also, if Toyota is going to put nitrogen in the tires, they must have a reason. I would think that it is more expensive than air.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #26
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
The Chevy dealer I work at is charging $69.95 per vehicle for nitrogen. What a scam.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #27
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery

sorry, I had to say it

jk cool test, now I know, regular air is just fine.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #28
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget about local atmospheric pressure. It changes with altitude and weather.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #29
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I used to use nitrogen to check for leaks in A/C units and that stuff was cheap you probably could fill dozens of tires with one cylinder never thought of putting it in my tires. It's a great way to get people to spend money the profit must be 500% like any thing else if you believe it works it does I get all the nitrogen I need from my compressor.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #30
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Chris what kind of dryer does your friend have?
Refridgerated or Dessicant?
The dessicant will drop moisture a bunch more than the refer type.

I was involved with a sprint car for about 10 years and when we ran PIR 1 mile asphalt oval we used N2 to try and keep the tire growth to a min. On the dirt, naww just go with air, we did use auto bleeders in the rims to let off excess air over what we wanted to keep in the tire.

Did you boys vacuum out all the atmosphereic pressure air before filling up the tanks?
Check for any leaks on your tanks, fittings, guages, ect?
Don't forget guage accuracy + or - can be 1-10% depending on the quality of guages.
So much to conssider to remove a little H2O from the mix.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #31
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
Hey Chris what kind of dryer does your friend have?
Refridgerated or Dessicant?
The dessicant will drop moisture a bunch more than the refer type.

I was involved with a sprint car for about 10 years and when we ran PIR 1 mile asphalt oval we used N2 to try and keep the tire growth to a min. On the dirt, naww just go with air, we did use auto bleeders in the rims to let off excess air over what we wanted to keep in the tire.

Did you boys vacuum out all the atmosphereic pressure air before filling up the tanks?
Check for any leaks on your tanks, fittings, guages, ect?
Don't forget guage accuracy + or - can be 1-10% depending on the quality of guages.
So much to conssider to remove a little H2O from the mix.
I belive its the Dessicant. Its not a large unit on the compressor. The tanks were inspected, drained, and filled by praxair. As for the accuracy of the gauges, I dont know. They are the same brand, and model number. I tried to do an H2O sample of the air from the compressor, but I cant find an accurate way to do so. Im sure the Sprint cars were a blast! I worked on some SCCA cars in the past, and had a great time with those. Mostly Solo 1 and Solo 2. We never used N2 in the tires. Nor have I used it on the 1/4 runs we've done in the past. My Dad used to run N2 in his vehicles all teh time, as he could get it for free from the airport. he said he did it just because he got it free....Said he never noticed anything from it.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:48 AM   #32
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
i had a girl up in central cali near Mammoth Mtn tell me that she could not take air out of her tires because it had nitrogen in. SHe only gets it fill up at costco. she was stuck mind you with bald ass tires. I am almost laughed .
Old 07-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #33
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I was in a Goodyear tire store a few years ago. A white haired old lady came in and asked the counter people if they had nitrogen for her tires. They said no. The old lady left the store and drove away. The counter guys looked at each other and said "Must be a race car driver" and we all cracked up.

Nitrogen....
Old 07-02-2011, 03:21 AM   #34
PA Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Navy: GSE
Name: Nyles
Location: East Earl, PA - Tanauan, Philippines - Baghdad, Iraq
PA Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I had this arguement with the Mitsubishi dealer about 5 months ago when my wife's Outlander TPMS sensor light activated. She took it to the dealer and they told her it would be $25 to fill the tire with nitrogen. Luckly she called me and I told them they are insane. The dealer went as far as to tell me they would not cover the warranty for the tires unless they were filled with nitrogen. I quickly reminded the service manager that Mitsubishi doesn't cover the tires, the tire manufacturer covers the tires. Needless to say, I had my wife stop at the local gas station to fill the tire with regular air for 25 cents. I then called the local tire shop to see if there was any merit in nitrogen vs air, and they adivised me that the tire manufactures do not back the "nitrogen is better" theory.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:18 AM   #35
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
There is one more thing that bothers me about the nitrogen thing what do they do with the air and moisture that is all ready in the tire before they put the nitrogen in? Even a flat tire has air in it.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:39 AM   #36
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
A friend of mine, and myself, decided to see whats what in the world of Nitrogen vs. "Air". First, The most pure Nitrogen we could find from local tire shops, was only 95% pure Nitrogen. Unless a shop gets its Nitrogen from a local gas company, then the machines they use to get the pure nitrogen arent as "pure" as people think. Anyway, Upon researching this N2 use in tires, vs. "air", we came accross some info. Seems the reason regular air expands more in heat, is due to the moisture content. Being as he has an air "dryer" on his compressor, we decided to cunduct our own little experiments. Filling 3 20# high pressure tanks with different gasses. 1 with Nitrogen from a local gas company, 1 with Co2, and the other with regular "Off the shelf" Air. All three tanks were filled to 150 psi, as that was what his compressor was set at, and we wanted to keep the pressures equal amoung the 3. The tanks were filled to 150 psi at 82*, then thrown in his freezer in his garage over night. The temp was 0*. The next afternoon, he checked the temps, and found they had all dropped the same. Then, He left them outside for a couple days. PSI was checked at 4 pm, and the tanks were 145*. PSI was the same accross the board. We are currently testing to see if his tires deflate, or stay in flated at the same psi's longer with N2 vs. Co2 vs. Air right now. Results should be ready in 30 days. Some people say that the larger molecules of the Co2, and n2 keep the psi more stable in tires, as teh pourus rubber allows air molecules to filter thru it more than does N2 or Co2. We'll see. Being that the moisture in the air can cause the tire psi to be less stable, I can see how N2 "might" have a benafit in more humid environments, but those that live in.....say, a Desert, arent going to see any benafits from N2. (IMHO). Now.....I know some people are going to say that using N2 reduces Corosion in the wheel. Fine. I agree. However, I have never seen a wheel fail due to any corosion in it. Could be my location......
we had thought about doing this but the cost to benafit was so small in way of benafit it was not worth it
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I'm more worried about TPMS sensor corrosion not the whole wheel.
the life of the tpms senors are about 5yrs anyway before the battery gos bad or should be replaced most tire shops will say that as the dealer also
Old 07-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #37
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
There is one more thing that bothers me about the nitrogen thing what do they do with the air and moisture that is all ready in the tire before they put the nitrogen in? Even a flat tire has air in it.
^^^ This

Most people forget that
Old 07-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #39
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
I run N2 in my tires, I also work for an air separation plant. You can get all the air and moisture out of your tires by purging with N2. I noticed a huge difference between pure N2 and air when I put N2 in my lift shocks. Before I would fill em up and a week later the ass of the truck would sag. Then I put N2 in em' and they never leaked again, at least over the course of a year. I put N2 in my tires cuz it's free for me. If someone told me they'd charge me $70 dollars to do it I'd laugh too. There are lots of benefits of running a pure gas in your tires or whatever, but if the money ain't right then eff that. What you should really be testing is the benefits of running HELIUM in the tires. I bet that would give you better gas mileage.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #40
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
So If hydrogens lighter then air, If I run pure hydrogen in my vehical tires, they will actually lower to total weight of my truck and i'll be both faster and get bettter MPG??