Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Nitrogen in tires....(Warning. Unscientific test inside)

Old 07-02-2011, 06:48 AM   #42
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
So If hydrogens lighter then air, If I run pure hydrogen in my vehical tires, they will actually lower to total weight of my truck and i'll be both faster and get bettter MPG??
Good luck keeping them inflated.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:48 AM   #43
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Run a pressurized hydrogen Tank in my box? fill er on the go??
Old 07-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #44
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Helium is cheaper.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:53 AM   #45
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I'm putting Redi-whip in my tires. If I'm ever in trouble out on the trails, i've got a topping for those delish wild berries!
Old 07-02-2011, 06:53 AM   #46

Marines:
Quote:
Good luck with that too........

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
correct.

50% of the work i do at my job is in regards to Hydrogen storage, pipeing, transportation, and use as a method to create usable energy, so i apologize if this turns into a long post.

the downlow on why why i think he's plling your chain is that hydrogen is one of the hardest elements to contain and use. on an atomic level, the hydrogen atoms are so small that they will escape through the holes in just about any material. the tanks we have to use to contain hydrogen on the navy ships have 2-3 components (layers).

the inner layer is an extremely dense polymer that has such small gaps enbetween it's mlecules that it can contain the hydrogen.

to be stored in efficient quantities, hydrogen has to be either cryogenically cooled to a liquid form, or extremely presurized (32,000 psi is normal). the cryogenic method is extremely expensive, so most jsut pressurize it. however, to hold 32,000 psi, that polymer has to be encased in a carbon fiber tank. <<<that is the minimum tank setup (2 layers) but since carbon fiber is so bad with impact, the carbon tank is usually covered in either stainless steel, a foam sleeve, or both. bottom line is that it's expensive to buy just a tank
here's a picture of a very basic tank and valve.

the other problems are that since it will flow right through just abotu any material, if you simply inject it into the intake, little to no hydrogen will make it into the actual cylenders of the engine andaid combustion. that's why i'm inclined to say that it is only for cooling purposes (which releasing hydrogen from 30k psi to atmospheric pressure will do quite well).

in order to utilize it's explosive properties, you'd essendially have to go with a direct injection setup. however, that also causes problems. "Hydrogen Embrittlement" is one of our biggest concerns when we hydrogen is used or transported on our ships. when hydrogen contacts metal, though it will flow right through it fairly easily, in the process it makes the metal brittle and pront to fracture. i don't think anyone would enjoy a piston or engine block cracking in two.

so that's why i think the system is flawed for the purpose it's intended to serve. i also doubt that they are talking about using pure hydrogen gas, in which case you loose some of the benefit because it doesn't contain as much energy per unit area, and is also harder to compress.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #47
Retired?
gatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Retired
Name: Scott
gatlin69's Tacoma Gallery
If it really saved gas Al Gore would take credit for it.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:10 AM   #48
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatlin69 View Post
If it really saved gas Al Gore would take credit for it.
He was busy making the interwebz.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #49
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Helium is cheaper.
Thats true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
I'm putting Redi-whip in my tires. If I'm ever in trouble out on the trails, i've got a topping for those delish wild berries!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Good luck with that too........
Nice read
Old 07-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #51
Retired?
gatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
He was busy making the interwebz.

I wanted to say someone else...but I am still on active duty.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #52
TacomaHog is on a distinguished road

Army: 1st Sqd LDR 3rd Plt, Bco 1-32 IN
Name: Tom
TacomaHog's Tacoma Gallery
i get free nitrogen refills at my dealership so i highly doubt it is a scam to make more money
Old 07-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #53
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaHog View Post
i get free nitrogen refills at my dealership so i highly doubt it is a scam to make more money
I don't think it is a scam, but i do not see spending more than $10 to get it done...anything more and you would never get a return that would make it up. It is just hyped up...kind of like the whole global warming thing...I don't want to get started on that that.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #54
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Hey Chris I am with you on this-never needed that crap in our tires till someone stuk it out there as the "it" thing. Besides-isnt air 78% nitrogen anyways?? So you're only increasing your nitrogen 20%
i was about to say that but yeah you are right
Old 07-03-2011, 05:40 AM   #55
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaHog View Post
Two things, if they charged you it would be a scam and second just goes to show any thing above $1.00 is pure profit.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #56
McBride513 is on a distinguished road
Name: Luke
McBride513's Tacoma Gallery
What ever happened to just checking your own tire pressure? If its low and you don't want to pay the $.75 for air, go to any shop and they will be happy to put air in your tires for free.