Tacoma running lean with TRD cold air intake fix

Old 07-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
ottomastiff will become famous soon enough
ottomastiff's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma running lean with TRD cold air intake fix

VId I made for people having issues with the 2nd gen CAI and running lean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfMpeTdseMU
Old 07-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent information!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Erad is on a distinguished road
Erad's Tacoma Gallery
Modification for 2nd gen trd cai

Question: Does this modification only apply if you have the s/c, or is this for N/A engines as well?
Old 07-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
To my knowledge it applies mainly for the Cold air intake. but its always good to look at the whole picture.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I wonder if this works. Gadget...where are you? Lol.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Erad is on a distinguished road
Erad's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Otto,

After cutting part of the tube out have you gotten a lean code yet? Or has it been stable so far? I've been wanting to get the trd cai but with problems of it running lean, been hesitating getting the cai.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Its running fantastic. I've put it through the paces as well over the 4th. Everything is great.

I don't know if you'll need a reflash if you put in just a cai. but it is working great for me now.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
Hepdawg69 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Hepdawg69's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome info!! Like others said been hesitant on getting the TRD CAI because of the lean issues. This helps me want to get it now, my s/c I know wants it ; )
Old 07-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Grande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really nice

Name: John
Grande's Tacoma Gallery
yea but hes got a super charger, he probly had to get bigger fuel injectors, which dumps more gas, more gas means u need more air, so if the thing was blocking whatever he was explaining, it would caused it to be more lean, Air and Gas ratios is very important as how u tune them, lean is more gas than air, rich is more air than gas, u need to have a certain amount of both to hav the best combustion possible.

but i dont get why a N/A would be lean with a Intake.

i maybe be wrong tho
Old 07-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
Resident SUV racer
Lucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Lucario Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande View Post
yea but hes got a super charger, he probly had to get bigger fuel injectors, which dumps more gas, more gas means u need more air, so if the thing was blocking whatever he was explaining, it would caused it to be more lean, Air and Gas ratios is very important as how u tune them, lean is more gas than air, rich is more air than gas, u need to have a certain amount of both to hav the best combustion possible.

but i dont get why a N/A would be lean with a Intake.

i maybe be wrong tho
Lean means to much air, Rich means to much fuel. Both N/A and F/I need to have a good A/F ratio in order to have the most performance.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
I did mention my build. there are bigger points that come with the super charger as lucaro mentioned. The plastic piece was starving the engine of air.
After cutting it off and letting the cai do its thing. everything came out peachy.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
I dont have a way to monitor my afr, atm
Old 07-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Rather than cut off that much plastic, Wouldnt it be better to drill the plastic out thats blocking the openings? That way youre not loosing as much material that might be used to securley attach the peices together.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
How about just don't buy the whole crummy intake?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
agreed...............Id just ream that out, and use finger/screw driver to align the holes whenever putting it back together.
It was just done as toyota intended, there is a groove that runs the circumference of the tube to cut.

It doesn't of course mean that drilling holes isn't a bad idea, but it is a little more work as you need to take the time to align it and bore it out to the right size. The other thing is i would not know how much shift there would be through out time. Holes = exact position.

Cut off lets things shift with no diminishing flow.

Just some thoughts.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #19
Oh and woot! my first sticky haha
Old 07-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Rather than cut off that much plastic, Wouldnt it be better to drill the plastic out thats blocking the openings? That way youre not loosing as much material that might be used to securley attach the peices together.
I have the piece that was cut off, it does not reach over to the other side of end of the connecting end, which means it adds no value to being held securely.

The tube in question sits snug in the connecting rubber piece, but is not a major factor in securing things together.

The fasteners are on the ends of the connecting rubber tube with a little lip to keep it secure. So the part cut off again adds no value to it being secure.

Sorry if this isn't very clear. I can post some pics later and clarify.