Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Check Engine Light came on...

Old 07-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
bsnow is on a distinguished road
bsnow's Tacoma Gallery
Check Engine Light came on...

took it to a shop and hooked it up
they said that it was detecting a vacuum leak in the fuel line or return line, cant really remember what he said. he cleared it, and with in seconds of driving it home it came back on. so i drove it back, and he said that this is common, go and get a gas tank cap from a toyota dealer and that should fix it. so i did, and it did not fix it. so i took it back to the guy, and he said i am losing vacuum pressure in a cracked line, or something to that nature. or he said, it may just be a sensor.
does anybody know what i am talking about?
can anybody help diagnosing or step me thru fixing it?
2002 tacoma 4x4 3.4L 5 speed ext. cab

thanks
Old 07-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
What was the code it threw?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
bsnow's Tacoma Gallery
dont remember
hoping somebody will tell me where this sensor is, or if it can be bypassed or removed
Old 07-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
Eurosport has a spectacular aura aboutEurosport has a spectacular aura about
Eurosport's Tacoma Gallery
there's more than one vaccuum line, it could be anywhere, if it's not something obviously and easy to see it'll take more time to find.
w/out actually seeing the car you won't get much accomplished.
first step would be to get the code since it could be a number of things, the code would narrow it down a little. even after that it would still take some searching, last resort a smoke test to find your leak...
Old 07-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
McBride513 is on a distinguished road
Name: Luke
McBride513's Tacoma Gallery
Take it to a mechanic that knows what they're doing, and not just reading a code and guessing.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Get the code(s), post it back here and we'll be able to help you out better. Without knowing the code(s) you're just throwing darts in the dark hoping to hit your target.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
bsnow's Tacoma Gallery
ok, will get them next week
thanks