Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

engine sludge+scratching ticking noise

Old 07-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #21
Visegripmech is on a distinguished road
Name: John
Visegripmech's Tacoma Gallery
When exactly does the "IDIOT LIGHT" actually come on?

Basically the same thing happened to me. After driving a leaky old volkswagen for 20 years, I foolishly neglected to regularily check the oil in my new 2004 PreRunner (seven years ago it was new, when I bought it I mean) This compounded with these three factors
  1. I live approximately 1000 feet from my shop. On any typical day I may take 10 trips to and from home, the bank, grocery store, etc, all of which are less than 5 miles. The truck has a mere 69,000 miles on it now.
  2. The last oil change, done waaaaaaay too long ago (almost 10,000 miles) was done by the dealer - and the oil filter was slowly leaking un-noticed onto the skid plate ever since.
  3. Never bothered to service or inspect PCV system.

Yeah I know - WHAT AN IDIOT. Turns out that this is the perfect recipe for a sludged, if not totally destroyed engine. Since I'd never heard or saw anything unusual, (It had just passed CA Emissions a month earlier) it was only dumb luck that I decided to check the oil before taking a 60 mile drive one day. The dipstick had crap stuck to it and it took 3 1/2 quarts to top off! I felt like I had an enormous "DUMBASS" sign over my head - which is still there, its just not all lit up like it was at first.

Since then every morning starts with a big puff of smoke (at the time it was winter and I took it for condensation), I'm 99% sure the valve seals are toast. As far as all the other terrible damage that certainly occurred - I've decided to pretend it's not there.

4000 miles later it still runs great - there are some creepy noises (that may have been there all along) but I'm not planning on selling it or towing any bulldozers up a mountain.

Don't cry for me, I'm already dead

But let this be a warning to anyone with what I call the

"MY BRAND NEW TRUCK COULDN'T POSSIBLY NEED ANY ATTENTION" syndrome
-

CHECK YOUR OIL REGULARILY!
IT'S EASY! DO IT NOW!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #22
timbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

timbo805's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visegripmech View Post
Basically the same thing happened to me. After driving a leaky old volkswagen for 20 years, I foolishly neglected to regularily check the oil in my new 2004 PreRunner (seven years ago it was new, when I bought it I mean) This compounded with these three factors
  1. I live approximately 1000 feet from my shop. On any typical day I may take 10 trips to and from home, the bank, grocery store, etc, all of which are less than 5 miles. The truck has a mere 69,000 miles on it now.
  2. The last oil change, done waaaaaaay too long ago (almost 10,000 miles) was done by the dealer - and the oil filter was slowly leaking un-noticed onto the skid plate ever since.
  3. Never bothered to service or inspect PCV system.

Yeah I know - WHAT AN IDIOT. Turns out that this is the perfect recipe for a sludged, if not totally destroyed engine. Since I'd never heard or saw anything unusual, (It had just passed CA Emissions a month earlier) it was only dumb luck that I decided to check the oil before taking a 60 mile drive one day. The dipstick had crap stuck to it and it took 3 1/2 quarts to top off! I felt like I had an enormous "DUMBASS" sign over my head - which is still there, its just not all lit up like it was at first.

Since then every morning starts with a big puff of smoke (at the time it was winter and I took it for condensation), I'm 99% sure the valve seals are toast. As far as all the other terrible damage that certainly occurred - I've decided to pretend it's not there.

4000 miles later it still runs great - there are some creepy noises (that may have been there all along) but I'm not planning on selling it or towing any bulldozers up a mountain.

Don't cry for me, I'm already dead

But let this be a warning to anyone with what I call the

"MY BRAND NEW TRUCK COULDN'T POSSIBLY NEED ANY ATTENTION" syndrome
-

CHECK YOUR OIL REGULARILY!
IT'S EASY! DO IT NOW!
couldn't have said it better man !
Old 07-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #23
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
i run mobil1 i have in all of my cars and trucks never had any problems concerning the engine at all. i do not attribute that to the brand of oil in any way but, quite possibly the choice to run a quality synthetic oil could very well make a difference in the long haul.

i don't follow what oil company's do with their products so what your saying you heard is that mobil1 is not a full synthetic any more? i thought mobil1 was the first full synthetic oil thats it's claim to fame. that and the racing heritage and being endorsed by a lot of factory's for their new cars.

lets just say dam the cost what is the best oil to run through your engine facts not opinion. because hearing mobil1 may not be what i thought it to be is a bit confusing. i know this is a topic that has been beaten with a stick, but concrete facts would help.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #24
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Oil breaks down over time even if it is just sitting.
sooo... if that was the case wouldn't engine and gear oil in the stores have a expiration date on it?

OP...how long had it been since you checked the oil level on the dip stick?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #25
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
sooo... if that was the case wouldn't engine and gear oil in the stores have a expiration date on it?
They do have a shelf life. Mobil One is 5 years max in a sealed bottle but when exposed to metals and old oil in an engine it is less, of course.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #26
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They do have a shelf life. Mobil One is 5 years max in a sealed bottle but when exposed to metals and old oil in an engine it is less, of course.
Yep. If I'm not mistaken, it's the additives are what break down in the oil.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #27
timbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dropped my truck off at the mechanic today 2-4 days FML !!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #28
BlazeTaco is on a distinguished road

BlazeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would have to say your engine is toast. knocking is usally a sign that you have rod bearing damage. only one quart is not near enough oil and a dry oil filter means your engine wasnt pumping any oil to the bearings or other parts of the engine. Changing the oil wont fix the bearing damage.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeTaco View Post
I would have to say your engine is toast. knocking is usally a sign that you have rod bearing damage. only one quart is not near enough oil and a dry oil filter means your engine wasnt pumping any oil to the bearings or other parts of the engine. Changing the oil wont fix the bearing damage.

waaaaa waaaa waaa wawawawawawawawawawawawawawa..... your probably right lets see what happens.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #30
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wonder why the manufacturer's aren't held responsible for putting an expiration date on the box's and bottles? Most consumers haven't got a clue as to how old the oil is sitting on shelf's in stores and in their garage.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #31

the verdict..... need new motor FML !!!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #32
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo805 View Post
the verdict..... need new motor FML !!!!!
Damn man. Maybe find a used one from a salvage yard to save money. It has to be the same year or newer for it to work. Watch your fluids next time man.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Damn man. Maybe find a used one from a salvage yard to save money. It has to be the same year or newer for it to work. Watch your fluids next time man.
wat doasnt kill you makes you better man... so if i read right i cant have a 2005 motor and up ???
Old 07-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #34
Banned
Quote:
wat doasnt kill you makes you better man... so if i read right i cant have a 2005 motor and up ???
No it would have to be 09 and up for Cali emissions. Same year of the truck or newer. I'm sure there is a way around it though.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #35

also if any body in the socal area finds a good deal on a motor please let me know i would appreciate it thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #36

Quote:
No it would have to be 09 and up for Cali emissions. Same year of the truck or newer. I'm sure there is a way around it though.

yes !!!! my tacoma is a mexican tacoma so that means i can put a + 05 motor in ?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #37
Banned
Quote:
yes !!!! my tacoma is a mexican tacoma so that means i can put a + 05 motor in ?
Same year as the truck or newer. Your profile says 2009 so 09 and up engine.

Check out: http://calminitruck.com/index.html

http://partslocator.com/
Old 07-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #38
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear about the situation.

Not to be a douche or anything, but I thought things like oil were common sense. It just goes to show that a small mistake can cost you a fortune.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat Popcorn View Post
Sorry to hear about the situation.

Not to be a douche or anything, but I thought things like oil were common sense. It just goes to show that a small mistake can cost you a fortune.
its common sence man but when you have a new truck you think to youre self whats 4-5 months without a oil change when i have always maintained it properly ... just a bump on the road man learn from other peoples mistakes
Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #40
Banned
Quote:
its common sence man but when you have a new truck you think to youre self whats 4-5 months without a oil change when i have always maintained it properly ... just a bump on the road man learn from other peoples mistakes
The time frame had nothing to do with it. Some people go 15K miles or 6 months on the same oil when using Amsoil.