Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

engine sludge+scratching ticking noise

Old 07-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
timbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

timbo805's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy engine sludge+scratching ticking noise

Hey TW i havent done a oil change in my truck in about 4-5 months , bought myself mobil 1 but haven't had enough time to service my truck , so about 2 days ago i started hearing weird noises from my engine while i decelerate it almost sounds like a scratching/knocking noise, so today i noticed i was getting a very strong knock and scrach wile turning my car on and also while waiting out in the sun my ac wasnt cooling and my motor temp was going way up than normal, i got home changed the oil and only about 1 qrt of used oil came out and it was black black black the oil cap and neck had masive amounts of black sludge in it, my oil filter was literally dry, changed the oil put mobil 1 in new filter turned my truck on same scratch and knock any suggestions ?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Who did the last oil change?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
I heard Mobil 1 isn't a real full synthetic anymore, Run Castrol Edge through it.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
timbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Who did the last oil change?
i did put in 5.5 qrts of castrol i belive new filter too
Old 07-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo805 View Post
How long ago was this? If you put 5.5 quarts in then at least 5 should come out unless you have a serious engine problem.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
I heard Mobil 1 isn't a real full synthetic anymore, Run Castrol Edge through it.
this would be my first time running mobil 1 it started making the noise before the oil change .... puziling
Old 07-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Stick with Gastrol man, you don't want keep on switching different types of oils through your engine.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #8

Quote:
How long ago was this? If you put 5.5 quarts in then at least 5 should come out unless you have a serious engine problem.
that's exactly what i was thinking i know there's something terribly wrong if it burnt trough 4 quarts in 5 months
Old 07-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Engine making noise, oil filter dry, and only 1 quart of oil comming out of pan......Engine could very well be toasted due to oil starvation.,
Old 07-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Stick with Gastrol man, you don't want keep on switching different types of oils through your engine.
Switching oil brands isn't going to make much of a difference if any at all.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yup.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #12
Nothin
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was told if you plan on switching to synthetic you keep running synthetic through that engines life. What I ment was types of oil not brands..
Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #13

Quote:
I was told if you plan on switching to synthetic you keep running synthetic through that engines life. What I ment was types of oil not brands..
You can switch from Dyno oil, to synthetic as many times as you want. No harm will be done to the engine.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #14
Banned
Yeah it sounds like the engine is toast. The oil should disappear like that without some kind of warning like blue smoke in the exhaust or oil present in the coolant. Are you sure you put the full 5.5 quarts in? I believe one member mistakenly added oil to the radiator. Either way this is why I check my oil level every time i fuel up.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #15
Nothin
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You can switch from Dyno oil, to synthetic as many times as you want. No harm will be done to the engine.
Ah ok, I just remembered my friend telling me that when I was at his shop. Because I was planning on running synthetic through my engine.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Yeah it sounds like the engine is toast. The oil should disappear like that without some kind of warning like blue smoke in the exhaust or oil present in the coolant. Are you sure you put the full 5.5 quarts in? I believe one member mistakenly added oil to the radiator. Either way this is why I check my oil level every time i fuel up.
thats the thing no check engine lights no oil light my coolant is fine ... im just lost
Old 07-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #17
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Will oil go bad if you let it sit for a long period of time? One of my dad's cars hasnt had an oil chang in about a year, but only because it never gets driven, so it just sits. It has Mobil 1 synthetic in it...
Old 07-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #18
Banned
Quote:
thats the thing no check engine lights no oil light my coolant is fine ... im just lost
Do they self test when you turn the key to on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
Will oil go bad if you let it sit for a long period of time? One of my dad's cars hasnt had an oil chang in about a year, but only because it never gets driven, so it just sits. It has Mobil 1 synthetic in it...
Yeah it can. Oil breaks down over time even if it is just sitting.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #19
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah it can. Oil breaks down over time even if it is just sitting.
Thanks, I guess ill have to go over next weekend and change the oil for him.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Do they self test when you turn the key to on?
yes they do everything seems normal exept noise