Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

1st Gen 2.4L Repair Musings: Oil pan & A43D Trans

Old 08-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #41
ToxicGumbo is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeff
ToxicGumbo's Tacoma Gallery
I really need to move everything above (not transmission rebuild related) to an actual build page. As an update, this truck's been loads of fun despite the open diff, 2WD, and snoozer of an engine. Here's an "extreme offroading adventure" in action:

Okay, maybe that's just a parking spot, but I have a spare diff awaiting a lunchbox locker and will eventually get the tire clearances in the front to a manageable level. There's a great offroad park nearby that will most certainly require a trial of the winch and traction mats. Can't wait.

-Jeff
Old 08-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #42
Obsidian8 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
Obsidian8's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I was reading that and I'm afraid that I might end up being on the same boat. spend 3 hrs figuring out why my planetary gear output shaft assembly wasnt lining up at the snap ring grove, apparently the nylon washers that came with the kit wasnt OEM so I made (prob a bad) call and left it out to make it work. And even though the tranny is a 43D its from '86 so its not controlled by the TCM(computer might be using the wrong acronym) so urs is def more updated.

The gear slides of the end of the sungear but it seats in the Rear Planetary Gear. I've concluded this after spending 3hrs putting things together and apart inside and out side the damn case lol. and this (http://toyotamarket.ru/gr/711330/016/2/3508/1/35719A/)
its not even on the diagram in the ATSG manual but luckily I kep the parts together as I was inspecting the tranny before I decided to buy a rebuild kit or go pull one, i would of sent you pics but that part is already installed in what I hope to be in the right spot lol. where the subsections before the center support hard to rotate as you put urs back together?
Now I'm in the process of installing the frunt clutch assembly in but it needs to go in another 1/8" so that's what I'll be doing before finishing up the assembly. THe issue with my tranny was that the discs in the rear clutch had no friction material. oh and to answer the ? about how it ended up in my dodge ram. ram 50 is basically the same truck as a Mitsubishi might max truck, differences where in engine and tranny. so thats how it got a toyota tranny IMO they call it the km148 or a44d depending on where you look on and aw372. it was insane looking up info and parts for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicGumbo View Post
Thanks! As you might have noticed, my results weren't 100% and I ended up finding another transmission. Hopefully you'll have better success.

How on earth did you up having this model transmission in your Dodge Ram? Is that stock? I've seen Asian transmissions ending up in domestic cars before, but that seems oddly paired.

Don't let the rattlecan silver spraypaint mislead you! I spent a great deal of time with wire brushes, scotchbrite pads, and aerosol degreasers (not all are aluminum friendly), but also had generous shop owner run it through his shop's jetwash. Even then it wasn't pretty to look at, but a whole lot better. Once it seemed like there wasn't any more loose dirt or improvement with additional cleaning, I gave it several coats of spraypaint (after a thorough cleaning and taping off of anything that wasn't the exposed external side of the case, including screw holes and bare metal where washers and fittings went). The one that eventually went in is as ugly as I found it at the junkyard...too much trouble to do a second time.

I moved a few states away, but brought the old transmission with me to tear apart and inspect. It's still together at the moment, so I'll have to look over photos for reference. Do you have any photos of the part or can you draw any diagrams? I don't recall any extra gears, but did find what appeared to be mistakes in the rebuild manual (such as instructions not matching the diagrams).

I'm very excited to hear about your rebuild. It was a painful period, but it really made me respect entire businesses built around transmission repair and I'd love to rebuild a few for race and off-road applications.

-Jeff
Old 08-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #43
Ok so I got the tranny back together and it goes through revers, 1st and 2nd. Havent been able to test 3rd and OD since the tranny stops working after driving it for 5-10mins or if I shift though all the gears within 3mins or so. So Im guessing I may have not placed the retainer in the right slot of the throttle valve in the upper front part of the valve body maybe? I found your pics on flickr but I wasnt able to see the retainer...do u happen to still have that pic? Thanks bud!
Retainer I speak of
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...8&l=eba337d46e

figured I send a link to all the pics...I wish I would of taken more damn pics...lesson learned.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=814d7ecdcf
Old 01-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian8 View Post
figured I send a link to all the pics...I wish I would of taken more damn pics...lesson learned.
Those are great pics! Brings back memories. Apologies, though--I completely missed this post.

Any chance that things worked out? It looks like you went back over things and discovered that the retainer was in the wrong spot.

-Jeff
Old 01-14-2014, 06:38 AM   #45
Ya it was in the wrong spot lol I found an actual diagram that showed where it actually went. Truck works fine now, but I believe the OD isnt working and is stuck on 'on' which works for me. I'll have to take another look at the valve body again in the spring when it warms up some.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:13 AM   #46

Awesome job! Now I'm even more determined to rip my old trans apart and find out what went wrong. Glad it was fairly simple in the end.

-Jeff