1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Floor Jack recommendations

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Shetto24, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Jul 22, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    Shetto24

Shetto24 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Tapps, WA
    Looking to get a 3 ton floor jack for <$100. Any recommendations? Any skeptics on the Harbor Freight stuff?

Thanks!

2. Jul 22, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    TacoDanny

TacoDanny Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Offroad
    King CO w/ res, Camburg UCAs, King Rears w/ res, Ironman Rear Leafs, CBI Rear Bumper w/ Swingout, KR Fab sliders, Ultragauge, Satoshi grill, Weathertech floor mats, DeMello 3 Hoop Front Bumper, AFE CAI Intake, Retrofitsource FX-R Projectors
    I use a harbor freight one and no problems at all.

3. Jul 22, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    I use the HF race style jack and it works but it sure had a hell of a time lifting my dodge with that 1200lb engine in the front :D

4. Jul 23, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    Shetto24

Member:
    Lake Tapps, WA
    Found a Torin "Black Jack" 3 ton @ Wally World for $82. Then went to Costco and picked up meats, groceries, 3T-4T Huggies Pull-Ups.....and an Arcan 3.5 Ton low pro jack for $99. Gonna change the wife's Tahoe oil tomorrow and hope it functions well. Looks nice and sturdy and has a 21" lift. Went back and returned the Torin!

5. Jul 23, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    I got the Harbor Freight aluminum one...the blue ano one.

It lifts my 5 lug no problem, barely fits under there though ;)
    I've also used it on:

05' X-Runner
    04 Acura MDX
    03 Focus SVT
    90' Ford Ranger

6. Jul 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    Gabex35

Gabex35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited 4x4 Crewmax
    Got the same jack at costco too. Its worked very well so far

7. Jul 29, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    Shetto24

Member:
    Lake Tapps, WA
    Been wanting to reply to my thread but been too pissed off to...until now. Story: Was all stoked to to try the Arcan jack last Sunday and change the wifey's oil on her Tahoe. Centered the plate under the cross member and proceeded to lift. Going good until BAM! Slips and puts a nice effing puncture straight through the oil pan. Finally located the parts Tuesday, and got that $hit done this afternoon! Lesson learned at least it'll never happen again!
    Floor Jack Rating: 8 (needs a plate with bigger teeth) anybody know of a good source for parts? Operator rating: -10 Dumbass. Rock Auto: 10 as always Nordstrom Automotive: 10 (they had a NEW pan for $75. Dealer quoted $375/no stock and mostly all chains had no stock. Recommend Nordtrom for hard to find and/or good priced parts. )

8. Jul 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    Damn^,

I've been close to slippin on my truck..I usually work on my truck on this gravely inlayed concrete sh1t I have on my driveway, so the jack doesnt slide worth of shit.
    Non-sliding jack = sliding lift mount = messing something up.

That's why when you lower..I always pull out at the same time..so it doesn't slip forward.

and when you jack you do the same thing lol

9. Aug 3, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    asus611

asus611 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab Prerunner
    I've had a harbor freight orange color jack for over 10 years no problems. My buddy's Torin that he just bought last year collapsed on him ( well not ON him, but while he was working on the car). I think nowadays its a total crap shoot.

ONE THINGS FOR SURE, ALWAYS, I MEAN ALWAYS, USE JACK STANDS. PLEASE.

10. Sep 18, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    My old craftsman 2 ton which I purchased in 1998 has finally failed. It's leaking oil all over the floor. I could probably replace the seals, but I would rather just buy a new one.

Im waiting for my Costco to start carrying that jack again. I need something that can lift up to 20 inches.

11. Sep 18, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I was just thinking about posting the same exact thread today. I was looking at all the craftsman ones. 4 ton and 3 ton lo pro, and thought they would be great, until I read the reviews. It seems craftsman has lost its quality. I have a craftsman floor jack from 97' and it has got a blown seal on the pumper part but other than that, still does what I need it to do. I was looking at Torin now. Don't quite know how they are so looking for reviews on them. I would like to find an American made floor jack of all things since I won't be getting a crapsman, and they're made in china. So I'm right with you on looking for recomendations, sorry for the partial thread jack, but it's better than having 87 threads on the same topic.

I don't have a price range yet, but I wanna keep it under $300. Any recomends?

12. Feb 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    boshak

boshak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    Anyone else with a Costco Arcan Jack? Do they sell stands there too?

13. Feb 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    The costco jack is great deal. Low profile high lift. Only.thing is it squeals a bit when lifting.

14. Mar 3, 2012 at 7:11 AM
    boshak

boshak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    So far so good with this jack. Low height profile so I'll be able to use it on my cars as well. The jack is also easy to release so far... I've had some scary jacks that didn't release so smoothly. Low profile is in regards to height only... This jack is huge and heavy. Easy to move around though.

My local Costco now carries the new Arcan jack rated at 3.25tons vs 3.5tons. The Costco product numbers are the same so I'm assuming it was Arcan covering their a** on the rating.

15. Mar 3, 2012 at 7:15 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    For a floor jack, look for one with a lift height of around 22". You can get a 3, 4 40 tin jack, and it wont do you any good if it wont get the truck high enough.

16. Mar 3, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    boshak

boshak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    The Arcan jack goes up to that... Perfect for our trucks but also low enough for cars.

Products Discussed in

To Top