Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Rattling Noise on Acceleration

Old 07-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
RaidenDSI is on a distinguished road
RaidenDSI's Tacoma Gallery
Rattling Noise on Acceleration

About 4 weeks ago I started to hear a rapid rattling noise when accelerating(between slow to moderate acceleration). This would happen between 1500-2000 RPM's and in 3rd or 4th gear where I could hear it the worst.
For the past 4 months I have been driving on 87 octane fuel with no ethanol.
I took it to my family mechanic and after driving with me for a while he said that it's most likely pinging. He told me that VVT-I engines coupled with low octane fuel and really hot temperatures(which started about 4 weeks ago in the 100F range) could cause that to happen. He suggested to fill up on premium and that the noise would go away.
Well, I ran the tank dry and filled up on 91. Within 3-5 miles of driving I could no longer hear the noise. And no matter what I did I could not get it to repeat whereas before it was very easy to get it to happen.
The problem appears to be solved. I just find it hard to believe that that is the case. Has anyone ever had this problem and found that premium fuel to be the fix? I took it to the Toyota dealer and they couldn't find anything(this was when already running on premium). They said it's normal.
I bought this truck in the end of September of 2010 so I didn't have a chance to drive it in hot temperatures so I don't know if the problem existed back then or not.
A little info on my truck. I have a K&N air filter installed and Pulstar Pulse plugs. Everything else is stock. After reading about the CAI intake causing the truck to run lean I thought that maybe the K&N filter might be doing something similar but I don't know. Haven't tested yet.
I have read all over the internet about Tacoma engine noise and can't find anything that describes my problem. I know about the injector noise and this is not it.
If anyone can help me out with some information I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
RaidenDSI is on a distinguished road
RaidenDSI's Tacoma Gallery
It sound exactly like post #4 of this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...any-ideas.html

Is this what an exhaust manifold leak sounds like? I see that a lot of people have this problem with their trucks.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Schuylerville is on a distinguished road

Name: Christian
Schuylerville's Tacoma Gallery
i have a very very similar problem. i am trying to figure out what is wrong as of now, and havnt thought of running on premium. im definitely going to try this.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
rnls06 is on a distinguished road

Name: Luis
rnls06's Tacoma Gallery
I too have the same rattling noise comming at around 1500 rpm while accelerating . Did you ever find out what the noise was?
Old 01-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
michaelholder is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
michaelholder's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2013 v6 that has this exact same rattling when accelerating between 1500 and 2000 rpm's. It's not even consistent all the time which makes it really aggravating. It sounds like a rocker arm is loose or something. Anyway no luck at dealer either on my last two visits telling them about this. Taking it to dealer today for my regular maintenance checkup. If they tell me again they can't hear it then I'm dealing with service manager to get an answer. This is a brand new truck and should not be putting out this kind of noise. I'm not putting up with this bs anymore. Will let you know what I find out.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelholder View Post
I have a 2013 v6 that has this exact same rattling when accelerating between 1500 and 2000 rpm's. It's not even consistent all the time which makes it really aggravating. It sounds like a rocker arm is loose or something. Anyway no luck at dealer either on my last two visits telling them about this. Taking it to dealer today for my regular maintenance checkup. If they tell me again they can't hear it then I'm dealing with service manager to get an answer. This is a brand new truck and should not be putting out this kind of noise. I'm not putting up with this bs anymore. Will let you know what I find out.
Its definitely not a rocker arm (Tacomas don't have those).
Have the service manager go for a ride with you. If he won't, then go to another dealer.