Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

You ever have an Oil filter gasket blow out ?

Old 10-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
markwnc is on a distinguished road
markwnc's Tacoma Gallery
You ever have an Oil filter gasket blow out ?

After it blowed out it immediatly emptied all the oil out and shut the engine off.
I removed the filter and the DOUBLE gasket, put on a new filter and filled with oil.
When I started the engine it has a slightly noticable whine like timing gears or chain maybe.
I was traveling and have drove the truck about 600 miles thus far.
This is a 2005 v6 .

You guys ever have this happen to you or ever hear of someone that
this has hppened to?

I was wondering if this will effect my engine in a bad way and if it will
what do I need to do about it?

Thanks from the newbie in advance.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Taco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement:
Taco's for All's Tacoma Gallery
Did you notice it blew out before or after you lost all of your oil? How long did you run your motor without oil?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwnc View Post
After it blowed out it immediatly emptied all the oil out and shut the engine off.
I removed the filter and the DOUBLE gasket, put on a new filter and filled with oil.
When I started the engine it has a slightly noticable whine like timing gears or chain maybe.
I was traveling and have drove the truck about 600 miles thus far.
This is a 2005 v6 .

You guys ever have this happen to you or ever hear of someone that
this has hppened to?

I was wondering if this will effect my engine in a bad way and if it will
what do I need to do about it?

Thanks from the newbie in advance.
how does it blow out? u mean the gasket on the oil filter leaked? please explain so i can do it myself if shit hits the fan? what kind of oil filter did u use?
thx
Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Did this once on a Bronco II I had. Second time I'd ever done an oil change. I didn't notice that the gasket from the old filter was still on the engine. When I started the engine oil sprayed everywhere and sounded weird. I shut off the engine after maybe 30 seconds?. I pretty much did the whole oil change over. Didn't have any long term affects that I know of. I had the Bronco another five years or so with no engine problems. It took a little while for the oil to burn off the engine though.....

I'd say if you didn't drive it or only let it run for a few seconds then it's probably ok.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
that should be why it blew out, last time it was changed the o ring stayed on the engine so two 0 rings?

just my guess
Excactily!
I had this same thing happen to me in my old truck. The gasket from the previous filter remained in place, and I installed a new filter not paying enough attention. FORTUNATELY, I noticed it leaking when warming the engine and doing some other work on it.

OP, You should be OK as long as it wasnt driven with no oil.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
markwnc's Tacoma Gallery
It was obvious when it happened it made a loud spraying noise and smoke came out from under the hood then the engine shut off.
I put it in neutral and coasted to a safe spot to the side of the road.
I just bought this truck used about three months ago and dont drive it much
maybe once a week then started on a trip and this happened.
So the oil filter change was done by someone else before the puchase.
I had to drive a screwdriver through the filter to get it off.
It pretty much destroyed the filter but when I got it off I noticed the extra gasket
on the filter mount and I had to cut it with my pocket knife to get it off.

I just need to know if the whining is something to be worried about.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
markwnc's Tacoma Gallery
76000 miles

btt
Old 02-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
I'd venture to say that you have lubed up one of the belts and it is slipping a bit. I'd guess the alternator belt if it is a fairly constant whine.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
ive had it happen(not in my truck, on a customers car) and as long as its not ran long with no oil in it, you should be ok
Old 02-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
WildcatRider is just really niceWildcatRider is just really niceWildcatRider is just really niceWildcatRider is just really nice

WildcatRider's Tacoma Gallery
In high school I worked at an quick oil change station and this was one of the #1 major issues they stressed. The guy below always had to show the old filter to the guy up top and confirm no double gasket. I learned at a young aged how bad this can be

From the sound of it you are probably ok, just make sure everything is clean of oil especially the belts.