Notices

Gas mileage problems with 06 Tacoma V6

Old 07-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
pl87pll is on a distinguished road

Marines: USMC SGT. 1st Marines 3rd AABN Delta Company
Name: Preston
pl87pll's Tacoma Gallery
Gas mileage problems with 06 Tacoma V6

I have a 2006 Tacoma Access Cab v6 4wd 6 speed manual and a few months ago I got a dual exhaust magno flow put on my truck hoping to get better gas mileage, but instead I am getting worse gas mileage now. I also have a K&N cold air intake. Before I put any of those on I was getting around 310 miles on a tank. Now I am averaging around 260 a tank. I was mainly wondering why this is happening and if its time to change the spark plugs out or get a tune up, I just hit 71,000 miles. Or mainly if theres anything I need to do to keep my truck running good. Appreciate any tips, thanks.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
You're on the pipe too much. Lay off the loud pedal
Old 07-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
You're on the pipe too much. Lay off the loud pedal
X2
Old 07-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Spark plugs should be changed every 20-25 thousand miles. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...e-1-gr-fe.html

I don't have any experience with k&n intake systems, but I heard they wont do much or anything for hp gains or MPG's for 2nd Gen trucks.

A exhaust system will also just about do nothing for hp and MPG's, the only thing it will just about do is make your truck sound better. They do a lot for older cars, but modern cars...not so much.

Change the plugs, see if that helps, also run some injector clearer through, clean the MAF senor, clean the throttle body. If that doesn't do the trick, then you may want to try putting on your old air intake and or exhaust.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #5

pl87pll's Tacoma Gallery
Haha, trust me Ive tried driving slow and easy for a couple of full tanks and still no difference...
Old 07-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Not slowin down. Its when ya shift. No more than 2k rpm. I gained almost 2 mpg just by doin that
Old 07-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #7

pl87pll's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks bakotruck for the info. I will definetly look into that, I just recently got out of the marines, used to be stationed in 29 palms, CA and now im back in georgia and I was just wondering if elevation factors with the air difference could be affecting this also?
Old 07-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #8

pl87pll's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
Not slowin down. Its when ya shift. No more than 2k rpm. I gained almost 2 mpg just by doin that
Ok Ill try that also, I usually go close to 3k
Old 07-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #9
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Intakes and exhaust simply don't increase mpg.

More air needs more gas to make more power, but not using more power doesn't use less gas than stock.

http://www.fuelsaving.info/power_economy.htm

Higher altitude usually means better mpg. Thinner air means lower wind resistence along with less power.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
doing my thing.
kcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Hotshot
Name: Marco
kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl87pll View Post
there's your problem lol, seriously keep it under 2k and i think youll see a difference...
Old 07-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks bakotruck for the info. I will definetly look into that, I just recently got out of the marines, used to be stationed in 29 palms, CA and now im back in georgia and I was just wondering if elevation factors with the air difference could be affecting this also?
I think so. Last Summer we were out in AZ and we were looking at buying a used Jeep to put behind the RV but my uncle said it wasnt a good idea because something with the throttle body and the intake due to the elevation and thickness/thinness of the air
Old 07-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #13

pl87pll's Tacoma Gallery
Alright awesome , appreciate the info.. one more thing.. what would be the best air pressure for 265/75/16 tires?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #14
Screw you guys, I'm going home.
06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cole
06aztaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would bet the duals are hurting, these engines need stock backpressure for scavenging effects.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #15

pl87pll's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06aztaco View Post
I would bet the duals are hurting, these engines need stock backpressure for scavenging effects.
I was thinking that also, my brother who works for lockheed being an aero. engineer or some crap like that was trying to explain to me the same thing what your saying.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #16
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I would think if changing the exhaust would make gas mileage go up, then the engineers at Toyota would have done that before the truck went to the dealer to be sold.

I think that if you want to increase performance or mileage on a late model vehicle, then it needs to be a package deal. Change the exhaust for more airflow, then have to change the intake as well, change the intake, now you need head work and new camshafts, new programming for the computer, etc.

Not against modding a vehicle, but I have done small things in the past and it usually doesn't pay off for me in terms of cost of operation. All I would expect from an exhaust is a different sound.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #17
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I can second the below 2K rpm shifts. Makes a big difference for me. It's a boring way to drive though.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #18
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Changing the exhaust to the dual system changed the back pressure. It most likely improved power at the expense of gas milage. Most add on mods are usually for power not gas milage as I think you are finding out. Todays vehicles are factory tuned for the best gas milage they can get to meet state and federal regulations. Several years ago one of the GM divisions I think was Pontiac tried every gas savings devices on the market and they found they had very little or no impact on gas milage and often decreased the gas milage. For more power there are lots of things you can do but at the expense of gas milage.