Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

custom kick panels

Old 10-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
craigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant future

craigFLA's Tacoma Gallery
custom kick panels

I built fiberglass door pods, but the way I drive (with my left knee bent) alot of the time makes me worry that the time invested in them could have been better spent on kicks.

I have DLS Iridium 3-ways going up front. The 6.5" midbass will go in the factory door location. I have a set of Q-logic kicks, but they are made for a 6.5" driver, and my mid is a 3.5"...

Now because I'm not using the grill for the 6.5", I mocked up one of the Q-logics so the 3.5" mid is hidden behind the 6.5 grill. Looks much better then the litle 3.5" grill mounted on a kick designed for a 6.5, but it jujst takes up alot more room then it needs to for my application.

I couldnt find anything under the search bar, and am wondering if anyone here has glassed or fabricated custom kicks? I'm wondering if its possible to actually inset the mid (and maybe the tweet) so they dont protrude beyond the plane of the existing kick.

Fabricating custum grills with gray grill cloth could possible make them stealth, or at the very least not noticable.

Doing this would keep the use of the dead-pedal (which is good). It would also help keep a factory look.

The DLS mid is an enclosed speaker, so air-space etc arent a factor, although I would still use non-hardening clay and deadener on the back side for added strength.

Anyone done or seen custom kicks for a 06 Taco???

Any ideas?
Old 10-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds interesting. I havent seen any for 06+. Ive seen a few for GenI tacos, and im currently in the planning stage for my own. I cant decide... more interior and exterior mods or... start collecting items for the turbo..
Old 10-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
craigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
When I bought my Qlogics I searched around for some info. Custom Tacos seemed to have the most info on the subject... but that might have changed. Anyhow, I found this.
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...ht=kick+panels
Thanks for the quick response.

I saw that link while looking around. The Q-logics are great IMO if your running 6.5's, and the custom kicks the other guys making are pretty much the same. Kicks for 6.5's are pretty common nowadays. I found a couple sites that make different versions. The 3.5's and 4" are what I have never seen.

I know what I want, and more then likely will just end up butchering my factory panels and fabricating what I want. I have all the glass, mat, etc. but think I will work on finding the best color match before proceeding. SEM makes a close match from what I understand, so I'll start there.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:57 PM   #4

Heres the closest thing I've found, but a little more then I think is actually required. He's running 5-1/4's, which require a little more as far as securement, airspace, etc. The idea is close to what I had in mind, except I was thinking about mounting my baffles to the actual kick itself. His "design" may actually be easier to fabricate...hmmmm.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...om+kick+panels
Old 10-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
is there anything to fit a 6x9?
Old 10-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
the stock door location is 6x9
ohhh, ups, nevermind then... carry on!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #9

I pulled my factory kicks tonight to take another look at the electrical...

Where in the hell did he hide all that??? I would seriously like to know where he hid all 50 lbs of factory electrical hidden behind both kick panels.

I'm going to give this some more thought. I actually don't have much fear taking on the electrical itself (it would probably take me most of a weekend) but I really wouldnt know where it all would fit.