1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

custom kick panels

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by craigFLA, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Oct 21, 2008 at 3:11 PM
    craigFLA

craigFLA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport Pkg.#1, XSP Package
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs
    I built fiberglass door pods, but the way I drive (with my left knee bent) alot of the time makes me worry that the time invested in them could have been better spent on kicks.

I have DLS Iridium 3-ways going up front. The 6.5" midbass will go in the factory door location. I have a set of Q-logic kicks, but they are made for a 6.5" driver, and my mid is a 3.5"...

Now because I'm not using the grill for the 6.5", I mocked up one of the Q-logics so the 3.5" mid is hidden behind the 6.5 grill. Looks much better then the litle 3.5" grill mounted on a kick designed for a 6.5, but it jujst takes up alot more room then it needs to for my application.

I couldnt find anything under the search bar, and am wondering if anyone here has glassed or fabricated custom kicks? I'm wondering if its possible to actually inset the mid (and maybe the tweet) so they dont protrude beyond the plane of the existing kick.

Fabricating custum grills with gray grill cloth could possible make them stealth, or at the very least not noticable.

Doing this would keep the use of the dead-pedal (which is good). It would also help keep a factory look.

The DLS mid is an enclosed speaker, so air-space etc arent a factor, although I would still use non-hardening clay and deadener on the back side for added strength.

Anyone done or seen custom kicks for a 06 Taco???

Any ideas?

2. Oct 21, 2008 at 3:15 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Sounds interesting. I havent seen any for 06+. Ive seen a few for GenI tacos, and im currently in the planning stage for my own. I cant decide... more interior and exterior mods or... start collecting items for the turbo..

3. Oct 21, 2008 at 3:38 PM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs
    Thanks for the quick response.

I saw that link while looking around. The Q-logics are great IMO if your running 6.5's, and the custom kicks the other guys making are pretty much the same. Kicks for 6.5's are pretty common nowadays. I found a couple sites that make different versions. The 3.5's and 4" are what I have never seen.

I know what I want, and more then likely will just end up butchering my factory panels and fabricating what I want. I have all the glass, mat, etc. but think I will work on finding the best color match before proceeding. SEM makes a close match from what I understand, so I'll start there.

4. Oct 21, 2008 at 3:57 PM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Heres the closest thing I've found, but a little more then I think is actually required. He's running 5-1/4's, which require a little more as far as securement, airspace, etc. The idea is close to what I had in mind, except I was thinking about mounting my baffles to the actual kick itself. His "design" may actually be easier to fabricate...hmmmm.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172515&highlight=custom+kick+panels

5. Oct 21, 2008 at 5:25 PM
    it's in coma

it's in coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the desert
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road
    intake and exhaust
    is there anything to fit a 6x9?

6. Oct 21, 2008 at 5:36 PM
    it's in coma

it's in coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the desert
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road
    intake and exhaust
    ohhh, ups, nevermind then...:( carry on!!!:D

7. Oct 21, 2008 at 6:09 PM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:

lol...

8. Oct 21, 2008 at 6:10 PM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:

I was wondering that too. He mentions in that link that moving the electrical was a lot of work, but that may be an understatement...

9. Oct 22, 2008 at 3:39 PM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    I pulled my factory kicks tonight to take another look at the electrical...:eek:

Where in the hell did he hide all that??? I would seriously like to know where he hid all 50 lbs of factory electrical hidden behind both kick panels.

I'm going to give this some more thought. I actually don't have much fear taking on the electrical itself (it would probably take me most of a weekend) but I really wouldnt know where it all would fit.

Products Discussed in

To Top