Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

blacking out chrome bumpers via bedliner material write up

Old 10-21-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
blacking out chrome bumpers via bedliner material write up

been wanting to do this for a while now, so today, i finally did it. i like how it turned out too. really not too expensive to do either. thanks to gorilla_97 for some tips and heads up.

what you'll need:

small short hard bristled paint brush
100 grit medium sand paper
blue painters tape
laquer thinner/paint thinner
1 can of herculiner bed liner material
some newspaper
rags

first,on my truck, i did the rear bumper, then the chrome strip on my front bumper. i took the plastic caps off the top of the rear bumper, removed the rubber bumper plug, and removed the tag lights too. i washed the rear bumper with some dawn dish soap and dried real good. then, i sanded the the rear bumper with the 100 grit paper. then, i wiped it down a few good times with laquer thinner to remove any sanding dust. then........i applied the bed liner material. i did one coat, let dry for an hour, then i went back with a 2nd coat and 3rd coat, 1 hour between each of those coats. in half an hour, it'll be tacky still a bit, but not bad.

this is with everything removed and and only the first coat.
next, i went to the front. i washed the front bumper like i did the rear, then dried. i used the painters tape to tape the top colored part of the bumper. then on the bottom, i taped under the chrome, then put a line of newspaper down and taped it up. next, i sanded the chrome and cleaned it with the laquer thinner. next, i applied 3 coats the same way as i did the rear.

again...these pics are with only one coat.

finished pics to come shortly.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
looks good Will! i like the rugged look that it has!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
So you brushed it on for the rugged look i like!!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

finished with the project.

and for a finale.....i painted my exhaust tip black with some rustoleum high temp black semi gloss paint.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TRDMAN- View Post
looks good Will! i like the rugged look that it has!
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
So you brushed it on for the rugged look i like!!
thanks fellas. thats exactly what i was aiming for!!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
looks good maan. i'm thinking about removing the flaps and doing the 6-8" strip like toy on mine
Old 10-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
haha well i'd say you hit the nail on the head!! very nice clean job on the finished product!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
looks good maan. i'm thinking about removing the flaps and doing the 6-8" strip like toy on mine
that'll look great man. im thinking of doing the same, and also thinking about putting bed liner on my flares too. just havent made up my mind yet.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
that'll look great man. im thinking of doing the same, and also thinking about putting bed liner on my flares too. just havent made up my mind yet.
yeah...i dunno how mine would look w/ the strips and the green flares...might have to do the flares too
Old 10-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
yeah...i dunno how mine would look w/ the strips and the green flares...might have to do the flares too
well...you wouldnt have to worry about them getting gouged on the trails. plus...the bed liner stuff is easy as pie to just touch up if needed.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #12

next up.........my chrome grille. gonna do it the same way as the bumpers, then i'll get clear corners with the black trim, and i'll be set.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #13
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
looks awesome dude! I think doing the flares would create a well balance on the truck. Front,back, and a little on the sides as not to overdue it.Perfect. It would look great.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiertaco View Post
looks awesome dude! I think doing the flares would create a well balance on the truck. Front,back, and a little on the sides as not to overdue it.Perfect. It would look great.
thanks man.........im gonna think about it a little more before i decide for sure. i know when i get sliders, i'll bed line them also.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #15
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
That looks awesome! Hope you don't mind me playing copy-cat, but now I gotta do it!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #16
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
thanks man.........im gonna think about it a little more before i decide for sure. i know when i get sliders, i'll bed line them also.
yeah man, the sliders with the liner would connect the front and rear perfectly. Don't ya love all the options.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
That looks awesome! Hope you don't mind me playing copy-cat, but now I gotta do it!
no problem at all bro!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiertaco View Post
yeah man, the sliders with the liner would connect the front and rear perfectly. Don't ya love all the options.
options are always good!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #19
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
looking damn good bro!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #20
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
That looks awsome,Good work, I want to do the bottom part of the truck and the fender flares.