Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Harsh downshift/Stall/RPM drop

Old 08-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
Rhum.
RugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-B
Name: Paul
RugbyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Harsh downshift/Stall/RPM drop

Ok so after i installed my rear AAL I got a lil bit of the take off shudder, so shims are on the way. After a week or so the tranny is downshifting really harshly when i let off the gas and sometimes while at a red light. It feels like the trans is stuck sometimes, especially after it downshifts. Its even stalled twice. I also have an URD MAF, but ive had that for a while now. At idle the RPMs are ~500-700 RPM. I had the pedal chop but cant say for certain if they did the trans flash, as they did the pedal chop while they did the rear leaf tsb. I also just installed a DDM HID kit, so they battery was unplugged but that was Monday morning.

Suggestions? I wana see if it goes away or if i can fix it before i go to the dealership.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
A stalling automatic usually means there is generally a possible major problem. Wish I could help, sounds like your truck just wants to take a major shit and clear it's system out lol..mine does that hear and there. Damn bitch.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you're under warranty, take it back. Could be as simple as bad gas or, as mentioned above, something much more serious. An automatic in a 1 year old truck shouldn't stall the motor out under any circumstances.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Rhum.
RugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If you're under warranty, take it back. Could be as simple as bad gas or, as mentioned above, something much more serious. An automatic in a 1 year old truck shouldn't stall the motor out under any circumstances.
I know that after a MAF is installed and the ECU reset(battery disconnect), the engine may stall once and it did but 3 days after. It dosen't downshift real hard every time, it seems that the fluccuations in the RPMs might be more of the culprit, but im not sure. anybody else have something similar and have the Tranny TSB?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Rhum.

Ok so I ran some seafoam in the gas tank and it seems to have helped. Odd for a truck that has under 15K to have had dirty injectors?! Still want to try CB drop and or axle shims. If it stalls or seizes up again im goin to the dealership
Old 09-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
Rhum.

UPDATE!!! SO for a while this problem stoppped. Then today it happened again. The truck completely stalled and stopped running while driving. I pulled over and restarted it only to have it shut off about a minute later. I started it and it would settle into its idle and then shut off. This happened about 5 times in a row. The 6th time I quickly threw the truck into drive and went. Once I got home I out the car in drive and sat there with my foot on the brake just to see what would happen. Nothing happened in drive but once i put the car in park, it settled into its idle again and the rpms dropped and the car shut off. I brought the truck to my dealership and they just called me saying that they were able to create the problem but the computer isnt registering any codes or errors. They have a call into Toyota Tech and will hopefully have some more info tomorrow.
Anybody have something similar happen? Could this be fro the URD MAF? This dosent happen all the time so I wouldn't think so. Maybe my drivetrain angles are off, but again this would happen all the time? Any input would be awesome.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i wouldnt do anything else cause. have it towed to the dealership, have them cover the charges
Old 09-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
Rhum.

Its already at the dealership and they are keeping it overnight. I was able to drive it there. Im still under warranty and i have the platinum protection. It also feels like the trans is sticky, like it dosent want to shift into the next gear. That is just what it feels like to me, along with everything else.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Seafoam already? That was not needed. You should have pulled the MAF calibrator to see if that stopped your issues.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #10
Rhum.

I thought about that but, if it was the MAF wouldnt this consistently happen? At the very least the sea foam cleaned the injectors...
Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yes and now. There could be a sporadic malfunction of the MAF Cal. Also there should be no gunk in your injectors unless you are adding dirt with your fuel.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe I missed another thread but, when did this all start happening?

What mods, or lack thereof, did you have when you last remember the truck running perfectly?

Something has to have changed to cause this to happen given how new your truck is.

Fink
Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
Rhum.

Ah good point. When i get the truck back, i will pull the MAF. It just happens so randomly, thats whats got me more confused. Until today this hasn't happened in almost 2 months
Old 09-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #14
Rhum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
Maybe I missed another thread but, when did this all start happening?

What mods, or lack thereof, did you have when you last remember the truck running perfectly?

Something has to have changed to cause this to happen given how new your truck is.

Fink
This first happened almost 2 months ago. The only mods are my lift and the URD MAF.

whippersnapper: Since i spliced into the ecu wires, would i just have to solder them back together?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
Banned
There is no plug at the URD unit side?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyTaco View Post
This first happened almost 2 months ago. The only mods are my lift and the URD MAF.

whippersnapper: Since i spliced into the ecu wires, would i just have to solder them back together?
I'm assuming you mean the URD MAF Sensor Calibrator, right? Do you have a cat-back exhaust or a CAI or anything?

I'm just trying to figure out why you got the URD MAF Calibrator to begin with to better assess the situation.

Fink
Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #17
Rhum.

Theres the plug for the usb, but for the install i didnt use the harness, just spliced into the wires in the diagram i got from gadget.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #18
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
There is no plug at the URD unit side?
I was wondering this too, but looking on URD's site, it doesn't look like it does. I imagine the wiring diagram just has them tapping directly into the ECU.

Fink
Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #19
Banned
Sounds kinda lame. I mean I know they offer the direct plug in harness section that you can splice into for 05 to 08 trucks but the wiring should have a plug at the box.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #20
Rhum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
I'm assuming you mean the URD MAF Sensor Calibrator, right? Do you have a cat-back exhaust or a CAI or anything?

I'm just trying to figure out why you got the URD MAF Calibrator to begin with to better assess the situation.

Fink
Yeah, its the URD MAF. I have a wicked flow 13" on stock piping and an AFE pro dry. I got a good deal on it plus im planning on headers as well