Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Water pump - gasket or RTV?

Old 08-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
Water pump - gasket or RTV?

Changing my timing belt tomorrow and doing the water pump (and everything else in there) at the same time. The water pump came with a gasket (see below). All the directions I'm reading up on say to use RTV. Sounds like Toyota switched to a gasket towards the end of the 1st gens lifetime

Seems like the gasket would be a hell of a lot easier (I know I would get RTV all over the place). Anyone have opinions?

Old 08-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
I agree. If you have a gasket then I don't know why you'd bother with RTV.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
McBride513 is on a distinguished road
Name: Luke
McBride513's Tacoma Gallery
you can put a little RTV on the gasket to hold it in place while you install the water pump
Old 08-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
slo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
slo13zx3's Tacoma Gallery
rub a super light coat of gray rtv on the block and water pump super light and use the gasket
Old 08-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the tips guys. When I pulled it all apart I found my truck had the same metal/rubber gasket as the one I got with the replacement in the pic above. There wasn't any RTV on in there so I decided to just put it back the way it was without any RTV. I held a couple of bolts through the water pump as I put it on to hold the gasket in place.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah my 2001 had no gasket, just RTV. I like the gasket better.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Redbandit is on a distinguished road

Name: Jacob
Redbandit's Tacoma Gallery
Damn. Pulling my timing belt and water pump at this same moment. Good luck with yours!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
That gasket has it's own rubber seal on the paper gasket. No RTV is required or needed. A good rule, like you already found, is to put on what was taken off; that only applies to known factory parts.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #9
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
you buy an oem water pump?
Old 08-21-2011, 04:13 AM   #10

It was an Aisin water pump. Don't know if that's OEM or not.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmaaron View Post
It was an Aisin water pump. Don't know if that's OEM or not.
no trouble so far working good?
Old 09-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
no trouble so far working good?
Just noticed I never responded to this. A little late, lol. But I'm over 2000 miles since the change and everything's running good.