Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

prerunner into a 4x4

Old 10-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #21
taco@you123 has a spectacular aura abouttaco@you123 has a spectacular aura abouttaco@you123 has a spectacular aura about

taco@you123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
BTW - the red truck on the right in the original post - is that a 6" lift?
yep 6" lift procomp
Old 10-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #22
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
What if a certain someone... blew $800 bucks on the 100,000 mi. extended warranty... what would that certain someone be losing or voiding?
Not really sure how that would pan out.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:48 PM   #23
jtaco is on a distinguished road
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
i have to get an automatic so im confused as what to get. whats wrong with getting a prerunner with rear diff locks and adding front arb air locks? then u wont need 4 wheel drive cause that is 4 wheel drive basically or better.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:12 AM   #24
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
How does one add ARB air locks to a truck with IFS?
Old 10-31-2008, 06:31 AM   #25
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaco View Post
i have to get an automatic so im confused as what to get. whats wrong with getting a prerunner with rear diff locks and adding front arb air locks? then u wont need 4 wheel drive cause that is 4 wheel drive basically or better.

How are you planning to lock a front differential that isn't there?
Old 10-31-2008, 06:39 AM   #26
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
A guy on TTORA did it for under $1000.00 As your savein, keep an eye for wrecked Tacos. Get the parts as you find the deals, and its all an easy install. The "Hardest" part is (with a manual T-case) is cutting a hole in the floor to accept the new shifter. BUT, the floor is pretty soft sheet steel and cuts easilly. Taking time, it can look un noticable.
You got a link for that?!?!

I am really EXTREMELY interested in that!!! One reason I didn't want the 4WD (besides the extra cost and lack of use) was the extra electronics.

I am very down with putting a manual T-Case in my truck!!!

Any info is appreciated as this is a long term goal now. I am not getting rid of my truck. I have put too much work into it, and adding 4WD with a manual T-Case is a great enhancement/investment!!!
Old 10-31-2008, 07:43 AM   #27
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
well im new to all this truck stuff, i thought that u could add the arb or any detroit or any locker to any car and voila u have locks. so ur sayin prerunners not havin 4x4 are xed out for good for front locks??
Old 10-31-2008, 07:49 AM   #28
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well im new to all this truck stuff, i thought that u could add the arb or any detroit or any locker to any car and voila u have locks. so ur sayin prerunners not havin 4x4 are xed out for good for front locks??
the locker goes in between the left and right wheels, not the front and rear. You need to have a 4x4 to transfer power between the front and rear.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:52 AM   #29
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
yea i know that, but all trucks i see have those pumpkins in front and back . unless im seeing things. so that is a " no they will never" have front locks on prerunners? well how do they install the elocker on them if u gotta have something there?
Old 10-31-2008, 07:57 AM   #30
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea i know that, but all trucks i see have those pumpkins in front and back . unless im seeing things. so that is a " no they will never" have front locks on prerunners? well how do they install the elocker on them if u gotta have something there?
For it to even be a possibility you would need a transfer case. Prerunners might have the front diff (not sure), but no T/C.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 AM   #31
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You will never have a locker on your front wheels. I think you must be seeing things, because the prerunners do not have a front differential (the pumpkin.) To install a elocker on a prerunner, you need to install it in the rear differential.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:03 AM   #32
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
yea i know, but why does arb make a front locker then??? ahh ok , never really looked under a prerunner. well i cannot understand for the life of me why anyone would want a prerunner?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:05 AM   #33
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea i know, but why does arb make a front locker then??? ahh ok , never really looked under a prerunner. well i cannot understand for the life of me why anyone would want a prerunner?
For the 4x4 models.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:18 AM   #34
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Because Toyota saw the market for people that wanted the "look" of the 4x4 but didn't need or want to pay for it. They would just buy a stock 2wd, then lift it - voiding warranties along the way.

So, they created the PreRunner.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:35 AM   #35
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
ok then what do people mean when they say the prerunner look ? from everything i see and read, everyone wants the look of a prerunner.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:37 AM   #36
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Because Toyota saw the market for people that wanted the "look" of the 4x4 but didn't need or want to pay for it. They would just buy a stock 2wd, then lift it - voiding warranties along the way.

So, they created the PreRunner.
That, and some of us don't like electronic Transfer Cases.

I can't have a lowered Tacoma because I must cross 2.5 feet of water at times, and I go through the woods a bit.

I don't do anything that requires 4WD. Rock crawling, Baja racing, serious mudding, and snow plowing - those things require 4WD. I do none of those.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:39 AM   #37
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
That, and some of us don't like electronic Transfer Cases.
Oh yeah - that too...

Quote:
ok then what do people mean when they say the prerunner look ? from everything i see and read, everyone wants the look of a prerunner.
Not sure about this one. I always thought it was people wanting the 4x4 look - hence the PreRunner. The PreRunner looks just like the 4x4. Now, some say PreRunner but they really mean the 4x4 look...

Don't know.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:41 AM   #38
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
yea that must be what they mean, ok well whats wrong with electr transfer case? and would i need a whole new front axle with pumpkin if i had a prerunner but had a good used rear diff from a 4x4 taco if i wanted to make it 4 wheel dr?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:49 AM   #40
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Oh yeah - that too...

Not sure about this one. I always thought it was people wanting the 4x4 look - hence the PreRunner. The PreRunner looks just like the 4x4. Now, some say PreRunner but they really mean the 4x4 look...

Don't know.
I think you hit the nail on the head with this one...