Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

prerunner into a 4x4

Old 10-31-2008, 08:53 AM   #41
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaco View Post
yea that must be what they mean, ok well whats wrong with electr transfer case? and would i need a whole new front axle with pumpkin if i had a prerunner but had a good used rear diff from a 4x4 taco if i wanted to make it 4 wheel dr?
There is a certain amount of disconnection between a driver and his vehicle when electronics do what can be done manually. You get more feedback from how things feel when the operation is done manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
I would like to know that as well. Unless it has something to do with "electronics can fail" or something...
That too, but I am not so worried about that on a Tacoma. I just enjoy knowing that my TCase is where I put it and not hoping that the light on the dash is telling me where it is.

Plus - adding a manual TCase to a PreRunner means much less electrical work. I don't think that you would even need to get into the ECU for this. Of course, you wouldn't have a dash light, but you should know where your lever is at all times.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:56 AM   #42
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
There is a certain amount of disconnection between a driver and his vehicle when electronics do what can be done manually. You get more feedback from how things feel when the operation is done manually.

That too, but I am not so worried about that on a Tacoma. I just enjoy knowing that my TCase is where I put it and not hoping that the light on the dash is telling me where it is.

Plus - adding a manual TCase to a PreRunner means much less electrical work. I don't think that you would even need to get into the ECU for this. Of course, you wouldn't have a dash light, but you should know where your lever is at all times.
Now, when you talk about a manual transfer case, are you talking about old school locking hubs (where you have to get out of your truck) or having that extra shifter in the center console?

I remember my dads old 91 Toyota had manual locking hubs and he always wished there was a way to not have to get out to do that...
Old 10-31-2008, 09:00 AM   #43
jtaco is on a distinguished road
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
what would u care where ur tcase would be on a prerunner, u dont have 4x4 anyways, so what is the feelign u are lookin for when driving? are u sayin if added one to a prerunner?
are those older tacomas with the shifter for 4hi and low a transfer case rather then electric??
Old 10-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #44
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Most people who buy trucks don't need a 4x4. In fact, most people who buy trucks don't intend to offroad with them. Furthermore, there are events that are strictly 4x2 events. I would suspect that many high speed races do not require 4x4.

I have a prerunner because that is the only way that I could get the double cab. I would much rather have a lower truck. Even if I had an access cab or a single cab, I'd get a prerunner, because that is the only way to get the v6.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:50 AM   #45
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what would u care where ur tcase would be on a prerunner, u dont have 4x4 anyways, so what is the feelign u are lookin for when driving? are u sayin if added one to a prerunner?
are those older tacomas with the shifter for 4hi and low a transfer case rather then electric??

1.He is talking about adding 4X4 to his 2wd prerunner...hence adding a transfer case.
2. refereing to "that feeling" meaning actualy engaging 4wd with a shifter rather thatn pushing a button and hope that the electronic stuff is doing its job right.
3. Yes. the shifter is a manual transfer case. you are physicaly shifting from 2wd into 4wd.

when you add 4x4 to one of these trucks you will not see a "pumpkin" b/c the have independent front suspention "IFS". the pumpkin will be on a straight axle...the rear...or on the front of older 4x4's and the newer dodge trucks.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:53 AM   #46
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
when you add 4x4 to one of these trucks you will not see a "pumpkin" b/c the have independent front suspention "IFS". the pumpkin will be on a straight axle...the rear...or on the front of older 4x4's and the newer dodge trucks.
You don't need a solid "straight" front axle to have a diff.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:58 AM   #47
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
Now, when you talk about a manual transfer case, are you talking about old school locking hubs (where you have to get out of your truck) or having that extra shifter in the center console?

I remember my dads old 91 Toyota had manual locking hubs and he always wished there was a way to not have to get out to do that...
Not necessarily - you can have auto-hubs on a manual T-Case. My Suburban (1983) and my Scout (1974) had that.

However, manual hubs are much more reliable (or - at least that was the case 10 years ago).
Old 10-31-2008, 12:14 PM   #48
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Well, the name of the thread is "PreRunner into a 4x4".

You wouldn't need a transfer case unless you were driving the front wheels. Well... You could use it for the lower gearing, but that's just ridiculous.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #49
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin626 View Post
You don't need a solid "straight" front axle to have a diff.
I know that. but since they have IFS your not gonna see the diff hanging out like you would on a straight axle.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:25 PM   #50
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a good thread to converting a prerunner to a 4x4, & has some prices too.....good luck!

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68120
Old 10-31-2008, 03:52 PM   #51
I dub thee malicious!

Yeah... but what about doing it to an 05+ with stock parts (minus the TC and adapter)?
Old 10-31-2008, 04:04 PM   #52
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
do they make a manual TCase for the new trucks?

for those of you wondering why someone says they want the prerunner look...as opposed to saying they want the 4wd look...

a prerunner originally is a truck designed to "pre-run" a race course

they look a lot like this:

now that toyota offers a truck called the prerunner...its possible that the people saying they want the prerunner look may be uninformed and think that its a styling/suspension thing like the xrunner...
Old 10-31-2008, 05:16 PM   #53
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
shh, im glad im not the only one confused by all this, ok so are u sayin that 4 wheel drive only needs one diff case(pumpkin) in rear?then where does the lsd and lockers install on the prerunners? and on the older tacos with tcase on floor with gears to switch to 4x4, does that mean it is not turning at all unless u switch the gear on floor into 4wdrive? so our electric 4x4s are always on and turning. or do our electric ones switch the gears electronically?
Old 10-31-2008, 05:18 PM   #54
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
shh, im glad im not the only one confused by all this, ok so are u sayin that 4 wheel drive only needs one diff case(pumpkin) in rear?then where does the lsd and lockers install on the prerunners? and on the older tacos with tcase on floor with gears to switch to 4x4, does that mean it is not turning at all unless u switch the gear on floor into 4wdrive? so our electric 4x4s are always on and turning. or do our electric ones switch the gears electronically?
4wd and "prerunners" both only have one diff in the rear...the lsd/locker/etc goes in that with the gears

4wd also has a diff in the front end that can also be locked
Old 10-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #55
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
also...manual and electronic tcases engage and disengage when shifted into and out of 4wd...one does it electronically and one does it manually

on top of that you can add in manual hubs instead of the ADD that comes on most newer trucks

manual hubs you have to lock in to have 4wd...ADD will do it electronically when the truck is shifted into 4wd

i think i got all that correct...someone want to verify?
Old 10-31-2008, 05:32 PM   #56
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
You got a link for that?!?!

I am really EXTREMELY interested in that!!! One reason I didn't want the 4WD (besides the extra cost and lack of use) was the extra electronics.

I am very down with putting a manual T-Case in my truck!!!

Any info is appreciated as this is a long term goal now. I am not getting rid of my truck. I have put too much work into it, and adding 4WD with a manual T-Case is a great enhancement/investment!!!
Here is one link for the first gens. I cant find the link for the second gens, but alot of people have performed the conversion:
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.ph...4x4+conversion

FWIW, I bought a PreRunner, as its more than capable for what I use it for, and I already have 2 4x4's and a 6x6.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:38 PM   #58
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
really though , what is the percentage of electronic 4x4s that have failed? anyone or anyone know someone's that failed?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:04 PM   #59
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
really though , what is the percentage of electronic 4x4s that have failed? anyone or anyone know someone's that failed?
I know of a few that have failed. One when crossing a river. 2 when navigateing a pretty hard trail. Thats one of the reasons I like my Dodge: MANUAL transfer case, and a Solid Front Dana 60 axel.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:45 PM   #60
taco@you123 has a spectacular aura abouttaco@you123 has a spectacular aura abouttaco@you123 has a spectacular aura about

taco@you123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoman View Post
Here is a good thread to converting a prerunner to a 4x4, & has some prices too.....good luck!

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68120
hey thanks man, ill check it out