Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

prerunner into a 4x4

Old 10-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
taco@you123 has a spectacular aura abouttaco@you123 has a spectacular aura abouttaco@you123 has a spectacular aura about

taco@you123's Tacoma Gallery
prerunner into a 4x4

does anyone know how much it would cost to turn a prerunner into a 4x4? would it even be worth it, i was thinking about doing it cause ive added so much in to my truck that i kind of don't want to trade it in please HELP

Old 10-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
I see I'm not the only one that has contemplated trading in my PreRunner for a 4x4.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
haha it probably comes down to how bad do you want 4x4!!
Old 10-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat man!

Any input would be great!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
You can either search here on this forum, I know for a fact it's been discussed ad nauseum before, or if you're brave enough, head on over to TTORA.com and search there. I even believe they have a tech section specifically dedicated for this transformation.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i'd so a SAS if i really wanted to keep the truck. it would kick ass off road.... except it wouldnt drive as nice on the highway.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
This idea crossed my mind the other day... Along with just doing the rear end to have diff lock. It is pretty expensive for just an air locker and thats not to complicated of an install... I would assume the 4x4 transformation would be very expensive my guestimation would be around $5-6k at least?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #9
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, around $5-6K for the whole kit-n-kaboodle.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
i think you would be the biggest bad a$$ out there with a prerunner. imo
Old 10-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you keep your IFS, you can add front drive for about $1000.00. If you go SFA, it can cost much more. All you need is a transfer case, new rear driveline, front diff, and front shafts. The preRunners already have the 4x4 spindles, and such. Best thing to do is to go with a manual tansfer case so you dont need all the electronics.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #12
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If you keep your IFS, you can add front drive for about $1000.00. If you go SFA, it can cost much more. All you need is a transfer case, new rear driveline, front diff, and front shafts. The preRunners already have the 4x4 spindles, and such. Best thing to do is to go with a manual tansfer case so you dont need all the electronics.
Sounds like taco@you has got a weekend project!!!

Pics from the trail when you're done...
Old 10-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #14
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Hmm I didn't know it could be something not that expensive... Only a grand'ish isn't to bad at all! Makes me want to start putting some dough on the side each month. But do you think it could cause more pain than pleasure? Problems? Breaking down etc?
Old 10-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery

I'd love to see someone serious about doing this actually price it out... I'm lazy and it would save some work for me

It would be a major pro to have a newer tacoma with a manual transfer case... I don't like the idea of just flipping a switch.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #16
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
Hmm I didn't know it could be something not that expensive... Only a grand'ish isn't to bad at all! Makes me want to start putting some dough on the side each month. But do you think it could cause more pain than pleasure? Problems? Breaking down etc?
What pain could it cause? The PreRunner is the same chassis as the 4x4. Only thing is, with a manual T-case, it would be BETTER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post

I'd love to see someone serious about doing this actually price it out... I'm lazy and it would save some work for me

It would be a major pro to have a newer tacoma with a manual transfer case... I don't like the idea of just flipping a switch.
A guy on TTORA did it for under $1000.00 As your savein, keep an eye for wrecked Tacos. Get the parts as you find the deals, and its all an easy install. The "Hardest" part is (with a manual T-case) is cutting a hole in the floor to accept the new shifter. BUT, the floor is pretty soft sheet steel and cuts easilly. Taking time, it can look un noticable.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #17
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris4x4 View Post
A guy on TTORA did it for under $1000.00 As your savein, keep an eye for wrecked Tacos. Get the parts as you find the deals, and its all an easy install. The "Hardest" part is (with a manual T-case) is cutting a hole in the floor to accept the new shifter. BUT, the floor is pretty soft sheet steel and cuts easilly. Taking time, it can look un noticable.
ohhhh we have ways of making the truck compromise to get that shifter in there **evil laugh**

this all wouldn't be done for me until I'm out of warranty of course... I have 28,000 miles to go, or something, sigh[/quote]
Old 10-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
ohhhh we have ways of making the truck compromise to get that shifter in there **evil laugh**

this all wouldn't be done for me until I'm out of warranty of course... I have 28,000 miles to go, or something, sigh
[/quote]
C'mon! What fun is that? I love the looks on the service guys at Toyota when they see something I have done and say "...that wont work.......well.......it shouldnt.............Hey! Come take a look at this!........"
Old 10-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #19

TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
C'mon! What fun is that? I love the looks on the service guys at Toyota when they see something I have done and say "...that wont work.......well.......it shouldnt.............Hey! Come take a look at this!........" [/quote]

Yes I love it also, but I also love not paying for things... though I suppose that unless there was a problem with the trans and such the warranty wouldn't be voided.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:37 PM   #20

What if a certain someone... blew $800 bucks on the 100,000 mi. extended warranty... what would that certain someone be losing or voiding?