Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Rear disc-brake conversion

Old 08-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
DallasPre is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
DallasPre's Tacoma Gallery
Rear disc-brake conversion

So i'm curious if anyone has ever attempted to put disc brakes on the rear of a 2nd gen... do you think a you could use 4runner rear brakes?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
There is a kit but it sucks balls. Also there is no need for rear disks. Do some searching on it.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
There is a kit but it sucks balls. Also there is no need for rear disks. Do some searching on it.
dont really want to buy an overpriced kit, just thinking i might be able to modify the 4Runner system to work. Also my truck doesn't stop worth a damn. My old 09 F-150 stopped much better.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasPre View Post
dont really want to buy an overpriced kit, just thinking i might be able to modify the 4Runner system to work. Also my truck doesn't stop worth a damn. My old 09 F-150 stopped much better.

Have you checked to see if your rears are adjusted correctly?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
^This.

Don't do the conversion. Spend your time and money elsewhere.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Talk to mjp2 about the shitty kit out there. Pretty sure he had some issues with it. Check out his build.

edit......speedy mod I see
Old 08-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Well my truck stops just fine for a truck so yeah. It isn't a 911 Turbo or Veryon SS so it isn't going to stop like one.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #8

Quote:
good call. ill check it out. "keep it simple stupid"

still think trying to modify a 4runner system might be fun. just to be different. the drums look like shit when looking through the wheels.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
the drums look like shit when looking through the wheels.
paint them black and all is well
Old 08-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Well my truck stops just fine for a truck so yeah. It isn't a 911 Turbo or Veryon SS so it isn't going to stop like one.
its a tiny truck it should stop better. and its 2011 there is no reason why they don't put disc brakes on it. everyone else does.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
its a tiny truck it should stop better. and its 2011 there is no reason why they don't put disc brakes on it. everyone else does.
So what if everyone else has them? And again my truck stops great so there must be something wrong with yours. Disk brakes on the rear don't automatically improve braking 10X. The front brakes do the most braking anyway. If you want better brakes look at some Brembo 6 piston calipers and a larger rotor.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #12

Quote:
paint them black and all is well
Like your thinking.. ill do that while im checking there adjustment.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
that does not mean that they work better, it's just what everyone is doing.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #14

Quote:
So what if everyone else has them? And again my truck stops great so there must be something wrong with yours. Disk brakes on the rear don't automatically improve braking 10X. The front brakes do the most braking anyway. If you want better brakes look at some Brembo 6 piston calipers and a larger rotor.
ive been a mechanic for almost 15 years so im pretty sure i know how a brake system works. im not saying i want or expect 10x better braking, im not racing the damn thing im just looking for something a little better.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #15

Quote:
that does not mean that they work better, it's just what everyone is doing.
yeah but if the adjustment is off that may improve it enough for now.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
ive been a mechanic for almost 15 years so im pretty sure i know how a brake system works. im not saying i want or expect 10x better braking, im not racing the damn thing im just looking for something a little better.
Some Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads will do nicely.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #17
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I agree with this guy; with almost no weight in the back of your truck you will see no gains in braking if you even get the prorportioning valve set right which you will have to buy aftermarket. Does not sound like a good idea.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #18
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
If you want your brakes to work better, then better tires and stainless steel brake lines will make a world of difference, a tacoma is what it is......a truck. I love how mine performs.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #19
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you're a mechanic, you should know that most of your braking comes from the front wheels so wasting that much money on the rears without modifying the front is a waste. Upgrade the front brakes if you want better braking, put discs on the rear if you want looks. FWIW, drums last a hell of a lot longer than discs.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #20
Banned
I want disc brakes on my engine to help with engine braking.