Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

strange clunking sound from front end

Old 10-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
tsmith is on a distinguished road
tsmith's Tacoma Gallery
strange clunking sound from front end

i have an 07 that is making a loud clunk or pop evey time i step on the brake moving in the opposite direction i have jacked up the truck and rotated each tire independantly and both sides are making the same noise when moving the tire in opposite directions i don't believe it is the brakes any info would help
Old 10-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
steering stop? grease it up maybe....
Old 10-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
I hear it too on my 05 PreRunner TRD Off Road when going in reverse.

But then a coworker who has a 98 Camry says that his car does the same thing (make a clunking noise) when going in reverse.

Probably normal.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The brakes on the front have "floating" calipers. Its normal for there to be a "pop" or "Click" when backing and applying the brakes.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Actually mine comes from the back end...reading compreshension is important!
Old 10-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooshoots View Post
Actually mine comes from the back end...reading compreshension is important!
Meh, I make the same mistakes often.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:54 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The brakes on the front have "floating" calipers. Its normal for there to be a "pop" or "Click" when backing and applying the brakes.
I think they're non-floating calipers. There are pistons on both sides (2005+ years).
Old 10-26-2008, 06:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I think they're non-floating calipers. There are pistons on both sides (2005+ years).
You are correct that they are not a floating caliper. My buddy is wrong, and a dork. I know better.
All the Tacomas (1995.5 and up) and many Toyota truks a few years older have pistons on both sides (4 piston) But there is some play in the units. I was told they were called "floating calipers", though thats not the case.
The noise is caused by the pads moveing. Most of the time your brakeing from forward directon, and the pads are resting on the forward most part of their pins. When you back up, and hit the brakes, they move to the rearward most part of their mounting causeing the "Clicking". Many Toyota cars and trucks do the same thing.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
canuck_tacoma will become famous soon enough
canuck_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone found a fix for this?? My brakes are quite noisy when I back up and hit them. I assumed it was the pads slidding to the back of the caliper. Never hear it untill I back up so it isn't too bad but it is annoying.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
So it's pretty much normal, correct?
Old 03-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Mine do the same thing in the front (2002). Was told by Toyota mechanic it's normal, pads moving back and forth in the calipers. Just find it odd it doesn't do it ALL the time.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
canuck_tacoma will become famous soon enough
canuck_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I crawled under the truck to make sure all the pins and springs were in place on the calipers. Looks like everythingi s where it should be. I can grap the pads and move them back and forth in the caliper and re-create the noise.

I am not going to worry too much about it as I now know that there isn't anything seriously wrong with them. Just irritating.